• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When skiing solo....Do you have any type of game plan?

The reason I ask is that while I'm not usually solo, the few times I do decide to go it alone I'm usually either just hitting it hard and trying to get in lots of vertical in a relatively short time (like 4 or 5 hours) or "playing the mountain" by either trying to hit each lift (beginner/rope tows etc notwithsatnding) or skiing some pattern.

Couple of weeks ago at Sugarbush I was solo and started at North just because I like the ease of access and Slidebrook was open. The conditions were great and I found myself skiing some trails I don't normally ski very often and soon realized I was skiing lot of liftlines such as Bravo/Encore, Black Diamond/Looking Good, Cliffs etc. After taking Slidebrook to South, I then did the same and actually skied Morningstar, The Mall, Birdland (upper & lower), Ripcord, Hotshot/Waterfall just to keep the trend going. Castlerock line was too long so it was the only one I didn't do, but it was a very enjoyable break from my usual routine when skiing with others.

So my question is...do you have a routine when skiing solo or just go where the feeling moves you?

hippiechick

I used to ski alone quite a bit out west. I primarily use my alone time to challenge myself. I'm not an expert skier, so as I'm trying new stuff/harder runs, I don't feel bad because I don't have anyone waiting on me or trying to tag along (depending on a buddie's skill level) and I won't feel like a tard if I'm bumbling around.

I do find I don't explore around as much though like when I'm with friends.... I find a few places I like and hit those all day.

legalskier

The last thing I want is for my wife to have to drive hours to come get me because I got hurt, so I tend to dial it down on challenging terrain.
Thank heavens I've never gotten hurt that bad.
:knock on wood:

drjeff

I'll usually start off with a plan of attack for a solo day, but what often happens is i'll find that either my plan was faulted in some way (snow quality/crowds where I didn't expect them, etc) or mid way through my plan, I'll find a pocket of terrain that just seems great to me and keep lapping it rather then pushing on with my original plan

steamboat1

Usually try to mix it up. I could go from something steep one run to the beginner hill the next run or anything in between. Variety is the spice of life.

snowmonster

I usually have a plan. Some days I'll just chase the sun across the mountain. On other days, I'll just hit the glades all day. I usually ski solo and actually prefer it that way. No waiting around and no taking breaks unless you need to. Go at your own pace. When I'm in the backcountry, my plan is to return safely to my car at the end of the day. That means conservative skiing and turning around from the tour no later than 3 pm.

steamboat1

The last thing I want is for my wife to have to drive hours to come get me because I got hurt, so I tend to dial it down on challenging terrain.
Thank heavens I've never gotten hurt that bad.
:knock on wood:
Dialing it down doesn't lessen the chance of injury. A majority of times good skiers get hurt while skiing something simple. Just happened to me a few weeks ago on a simple traverse to a chair, broke ankle & blew ACL. Skied down under my own power then drove 4 1/2 hours home. Everyone including my wife thought I was crazy.

Cannonball

For starters, I usually ski instead of snowboard since my skiing needs more work than my boarding. I focus more on form and technique when solo vs when I'm with others. I also find I push to a way higher level of exertion. That isn't really a plan, but it just happens since there's no waiting for others and it's usually ski straight on through the singles line. Then I tend to explore the mountain more, scoping conditions etc that will come in handy next time I'm with others.

dmc

When I'm alone I just go where I want - when I want...

timm

I ski alone probably 75% of the time. I would say alone I tend to challenge myself more (when not alone usually a group with mixed levels of skiers/boarders), and concentrate more on my form and technique which is harder to do when you are with your buddies playing around. I try to hit as much as the mountain as I can -- and I tend to lap the mountain much faster alone, as on my own I will rarely, if ever, stop on the way down. With friends, lots of stop and chats.

dmc

I won't go into out of bounds trees alone however.

It depends on what I'm doing and how prepared I am to do it.. Like bring communication devices - signing out - telling someone where your going and when to be expected back...

I used to be against BC solo... But I've softened and even started venturing out by myself...

HD333

When I am alone it is usually for a few runs at night at WaWa and I never go in with a plan. I just ride whatever is good until I get sick of it(pretty easy to do at the great WaWa) then i move on to something else and repeat. I hardly ever stop mid run unlike when I am with the wife and kids where we seem to stop once or twice on the way down, not at WaWa.

timm

I agree with that 100% dmc. To clarify I will go into the bc alone (on modest tours), because I prepare for being on my own. Just most days at a resort I am not carrying a big pack and not prepared with emergency shelter/food/etc. etc., so I won't wander off into the trees alone because that is how bozos end up in the news.