• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

People Overdressing - Warm Spring Skiing

Rambo

Always wondered why so many people dress like its 10 below zero - when it's like 50 to 60 degrees and the sun is pounding down... just makes no sense to me. Have even see people with balaclavas or face masks on at those temps.

Cheese

Always wondered why so many people dress like its 10 below zero - when it's like 50 to 60 degrees and the sun is pounding down... just makes no sense to me. Have even see people with balaclavas or face masks on at those temps.

You've never seen someone with an ear warmer and sunglasses at 10 below? I wonder if it's the same people?

hippiechick

IMHO, they're either from the warmer places, or they aren't actually skiing (ie sweating asses off...)

I think the sunglasses/ear warmer folks (esp chicks) are just people wanting to be seen. Referring to an older post/question of mine, re: picking up people at a ski hill....

Puck it

I am usually peeeling stuff off in the 30's. BTW, it is almost short season in a few weeks. I will be ready.

drjeff

Some people just run colder than others (seriously!) My wife has some circulation issues in her fingers and toes that has her feeling cold in almost any temperature, and as such skis with her big winter gloves on and her hot tronics running on 4 (max temp) reguardless of the temperature.

wtcobb

I saw this Sunday in 50 degree temps. I was sweating in my glove liners, no coat, just a long-sleeve and base layer, and just a baseball hat. People in the lift line still had full face masks. I enjoyed my Switchback for apres on the porch in a t-shirt.

timm

I had to stop twice on Saturday to shed layers. Really need a new softshell pants as all I've got right now is my heavy duty Gore ProShell bibs -- a bit warm, haha.

drjeff

I always feel like I see the opposite.

I call those folks the "well my weatherman in (insert your flatlands city of choice here) said on TV last night that it was going to be 35 out..." not grasping that when its 35 in (flatlands city of choice) that it's more likely to be 15-20 up in the mountains :rolleyes:

BenedictGomez

I'm guilty of this sometimes too, though it's usually intentional. You can remove layers, but you cant add layers that are still in the car or dresser.

I dont feel I really need a softshell, as the liner zips out of my current favored ski coat (Columbia), but the one thing I do need is a lighter/lightish pair of gloves. My hands were HOT enough on Saturday at Jay Peak that I'd take my gloves off in the lift line.

dmc

I few years ago I was standing in the lift line at Hunter and it was close to 0f....
The kid next to me had no hat on and face piercings... Where the piercings entered the skin there was signs of frostbite.. White rings around the hole... Swelling...

I told the guy to go in... And warm up and maybe go to frist aid... He ignored me...
When we got up to the front I called a patroller over - he pulled the dude out of the line..

timm

BG - highly recommend the OR Stormtracker gloves for warmer weather, as long as it is not too wet out.

timm

I few years ago I was standing in the lift line at Hunter and it was close to 0f....
The kid next to me had no hat on and face piercings... Where the piercings entered the skin there was signs of frostbite.. White rings around the hole... Swelling...

I told the guy to go in... And warm up and maybe go to frist aid... He ignored me...
When we got up to the front I called a patroller over - he pulled the dude out of the line..

I was at Jay at one of the colder days this year and they were doing some checking of people for frostbite at the lifts. Some teenage park rat style kid got pulled out by a patroller for having white spots -- kid's response was "I can't feel it so it can't be too bad."

BenedictGomez

BG - highly recommend the OR Stormtracker gloves for warmer weather, as long as it is not too wet out.

Cool, I'll look into them. At about what temp would you not wear them?

Thank heavens for pit zips!

At Jay the other day I'd do the bottom of runs up to the lift at Mach speed with my arms in a "T"; so refreshing :)

timm

I'd be comfortable wearing them into the high-20s for resort. I use them into the high teens for touring or snowshoeing.