• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best cruising trail in the east?

Razor

Spent one of the all time best days today at Wildcat. Bluebird, mid-30s, shin deep in the trees. But a big highlight was several top to bottom charges down Polecat. Although listed as a green, Polecat, several miles long, skis more like a blue at full speed. With the twists and turns, the consistent pitch, and the stunning views of Mt. Washington above, I think Polecat may be the best pure cruising run in the East. Any other nominees?

BenedictGomez

I'd recommend something at Stowe that starts with Ridge View, but it's now comprised of about 4,582 different "trails" to boost count, and I cant recall what they all are.

skiking4

Wilmington Trail @ Whiteface - 2700 vertical of blue
Excelsior @ Whiteface - constant dips and turns and zig zags for 1000+ vertical
Kidderbrook @ Stratton - 1500 vertical and straight, but really isolated and the pitch changes a lot
Upper Spruce @ Stratton - dips and turns a lot and pretty steep for about 800 vertical
Powder Puff @ Plattekill to the crossover to that trail that goes around the Face - 900 vertical of easy green or blue terrain but narrow and twisty before widening up and I found it really fun to cruise
Lower Sidewinder @ Catamount - one of my favorite runs, really separated from main area and constantly changing pitch and turning for about 600 vertical
Alley Cat @ Catamount - short but fast, its got 4 steep pitches followed by mellower pitches which are perfect for cruising.

Those are out of the ones I've skied. I was thinking cruising is usually easy and not adrenaline pumping and often is twisty/turny and changes pitch with often good views and might be isolated and, therefore, all making it an interesting run despite the lack of challenge/adrenaline.

Warp Daddy

Second choice either the Beauchemin ( The Beautiful Way ) at Tremblant Or Toboggan at Tremblant which is chock full of rollers and tables down the mtn with a nice rhythm

xwhaler

Tri Color and America at Saddleback are awesome for the views you get of the Rangeley Lakes and over to SR and Mt Washington

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lollapalooza is kinda nice

Same for Rogue Angel and Excalibur. Rare to have 1500 vert uninterrupted runs in New England. Stowe is great for cruising, but even all of it's runs are sliced and diced up with various cross overs and intersections. Sunday River doesn't get the praise of a Stowe, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf ect., but Jordan Bowl is an exceptionally well designed terrain pod. Kind of odd that it sits right next to one of the worst designed trail pods in Oz.

Bumpsis

King's Landing or Hayburner into Candy Side at Sugraloaf. For me a cruiser has to have a decent pitch as to allow for some serious speed.

bryanjagoe

tuckered out at okemo is great for cruising and quantum leap there is amazing too

Lynx at Sunapee: 1000 vert of consistant pitch, plenty of rollers and the occasional twist or turn.

Always been a fan of Risky Business and Right Stuff at Sunday River

EPB

This one's right up my alley considering my racing background.

La Crete and Le Gros Vallon at Mont Sainte Anne are two of the very best. ~2000k vert of solid pitch; Le Massif has the longest variety of cruisers in the East.
I probably prefer Lynx over Polecat, but they're both very good.
King's Landing (near Tote Road at Sugarloaf) is also a good one too.
Willoughby at Burke
Ptamagin to Whitehorse at Attitash is a personal favorite, though it might be a little steep compared to others mentioned here.

xlr8r

Jester, Sugarbush
49er, Pico
Cruiser and Boom Run, Loon
Dippers, Burke
Conifer, Wachusett
Most of Bretton Woods

hammer

For sheer uninterrupted length and views Polecat is definitely one of if not the best in NH. Have not been to enough places to say whether it's the best in NE.