• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NH Chronicle on Mittersill

Angus

interesting how the GM said snowmaking was always in plan. was commenting last week to my son that given this "normal" winter, the area hasn't been open much and figure the ROI on the lift is deeply negative. Was over there the day before they spun the chair for the first time but haven't re-visited since.

Puck it

interesting how the GM said snowmaking was always in plan. was commenting last week to my son that given this "normal" winter, the area hasn't been open much and figure the ROI on the lift is deeply negative. Was over there the day before they spun the chair for the first time but haven't re-visited since.

Snowfall is normal may be a stretch though. But not really a normal snow year by a long shot, the snow never came early to allow a base to build on Mitty. So it was bony all year.

Puck it

Burke has been in the same boat with snow cover on natural trails this year. Little to no base on top of the bones.

I think Cannon and Burke along with Bretton Wodds to a lesser degree has been in a swath of low snow totals early on.

Angus

Haven't skied at Cannon since late December but you are saying I should ignore the hype of today's snow report..."as we approach the 200" mark of snowfall this season, including over 100" in February & March alone."

Puck it

Haven't skied at Cannon since late December but you are saying I should ignore the hype of today's snow report..."as we approach the 200" mark of snowfall this season, including over 100" in February & March alone."

The main mountain is skiing awesome. Just no base to support the traffic at Mitty.

ScottySkis

it would be great to ski with the Scotty.

Thanks, it be great to ski with you to, I only been their once, and unfortunately it was after a whole lot of rai#, the view of the mountain in front was sick, reminds of Alta/ Snowbird view, I never saw that in the east before.

jaytrem

The main mountain is skiing awesome. Just no base to support the traffic at Mitty.

So is Mitty skiing well enough if you're willing to do the schlep? Gotta decide between Jay and Cannon tomorrow. Sounds like the Jay conditions are better, but over the years I have a lot more Jay days than Cannon days. Tough call. Thanks in advance fo any advice.

In other news, Smuggs was great today. I'd say 2 to 5 inches depending on elevation and aspect. Somehow it never rained.

Puck it

So is Mitty skiing well enough if you're willing to do the schlep? Gotta decide between Jay and Cannon tomorrow. Sounds like the Jay conditions are better, but over the years I have a lot more Jay days than Cannon days. Tough call. Thanks in advance fo any advice.

In other news, Smuggs was great today. I'd say 2 to 5 inches depending on elevation and aspect. Somehow it never rained.

I would take Jay. Mitty will ski but I would use rock skis. I took a few good shots after the dump on 3/20. Bottom is decent shape but lift is not running.

Puck it

Thanks, it be great to ski with you to, I only been their once, and unfortunately it was after a whole lot of rai#, the view of the mountain in front was sick, reminds of Alta/ Snowbird view, I never saw that in the east before.

Come on up!!!!!

jaytrem

I would take Jay. Mitty will ski but I would use rock skis. I took a few good shots after the dump on 3/20. Bottom is decent shape but lift is not running.

Thanks, still on the fence. Probably decide in the morning.

Smellytele

Mitty was great today. We were actually the first ones to head over which I was surprised about because it was 11 o'clock. I found some fresh stashes even on our 2nd run. Yes there were some rocks, stumps and brush but when isn't there?
The main mountain ski great today once the clouds lifted.

Puck it

Mitty was great today. We were actually the first ones to head over which I was surprised about because it was 11 o'clock. I found some fresh stashes even on our 2nd run. Yes there were some rocks, stumps and brush but when isn't there?

Candyland?

jaytrem

Cannon it is, thanks. I'll be wearing a blue jacket with a red/yellow helmet that looks more like a kayaking one. IF anybody sees me, feel free to say hello.