• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loo--strike that, Cannon 4/14/2013

polski

Website
twitter.com
I've called audibles on ski destinations before but today was the first time I did so after noon, while in the parking lot of a ski area other than the one I wound up skiing.

I'd been looking for a corn harvest and took my sons to Loon for a cheap afternoon of spring skiing but when we arrived around 12:30 there were rain showers and the nearby sky didn't show any breaks. Long story short, I called up to Cannon and was told it was snowing there ... and so there we went.

The parking lot looked fairly promising for the afternoon of April 14:

cannon03.jpg

There were some flurries at the base but the sun came out on our first ride up the Peabody Quad

cannon04.jpg

... and to the summit:

cannon07.jpg

2-3" of new snow during the day and subfreezing temps up top made for great turns on our first run, down Cannonball - mostly soft, just a little crunchy underneath

cannon08.jpg

Before long though we had an impressive snow squall, and snow would continue off and on all afternoon.

cannon01.jpg

We found fresh tracks (no, not deep, but fresh powder all the same) on trail edges on Vista Way. Then about a third of the way down the surface suddenly transitioned to primo corn with a coating of frsh snow on top. And the Front Five featured great surfy cream cheese - hard to say whether Avalanche or Paulie's Folly was run of the day but it all was great fun. (Only the very bottom got at all manky.) edit: I'm giving ROTD to Vista Way > By-Pass > Paulie's Extension > Avalanche

Gotta love spring skiing while it's snowing out, hard.

Cannon closed for the season with a LOT of snow on the mountain.

Last edited:

Puck it

It was a great closing as the last two years were kinda of a bust. Skating rink two years ago and no snow last year. Now this!!!

Cannon.jpg

4aprice

We really need to expand our sport. It's such a shame to see these places shut down with such good coverage. We'll probably be begging for this come next fall.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
We really need to expand our sport. It's such a shame to see these places shut down with such good coverage. We'll probably be begging for this come next fall.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I agree with your mindset, but without the ski school running and fewer day passes and rentals being sold, isn't it likely that Cannon lost money this past weekend?