• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your Top 3 Places to Ski & Ride

SnowBro

What are your top 3 places to Ski & Ride? Just in general, for whatever reason.

I'd have to say Sunday River, Loon, and Shawnee Peak. Sunday River and Shawnee Peak are where I learned to ride, so they have a special place in my heart. Had some great experiences and great days on the trails at each location. Loon because I've had a great day out every time I've gone and have met some really great people. Great times and great memories at all three resorts and hopefully many more to be had!

deadheadskier

Staff member
#1 in the East is Stowe/Mansfield and that's been the case since about 1995. Wish I could make it there more often than a day or so a year.

Others rotate in out and out over time. If pressed to say numbers 2 and 3 right now, the answer would probably be Wildcat and Sugarloaf. I know the Northern Greens get considerably more snow than either place, but both Wildcat and especially Sugarloaf have still have pretty great terrain and I've always just loved the Vibe and felt at home skiing both those mountains lately.

The common denominator between all three areas is that they have long runs. You can rack up a lot of vertical without spending a lot of time on a lift. Wildcat is probably the best mountain in New England for that.

SnowBro

#1 in the East is Stowe/Mansfield and that's been the case since about 1995. Wish I could make it there more often than a day or so a year.

Others rotate in out and out over time. If pressed to say numbers 2 and 3 right now, the answer would probably be Wildcat and Sugarloaf. I know the Northern Greens get considerably more snow than either place, but both Wildcat and especially Sugarloaf have still have pretty great terrain and I've always just loved the Vibe and felt at home skiing both those mountains lately.

The common denominator between all three areas is that they have long runs. You can rack up a lot of vertical without spending a lot of time on a lift. Wildcat is probably the best mountain in New England for that.

I have yet to spend a day at Stowe. Wildcat is awesome. Went for half a day last season and loved it. Whenever I head north I stay at a friend's place in Bridgton. Wildcat is a little over an hour away, which isn't bad at all. I'll be in the area after Christmas with some friends. We're planning to head to Sunday River but I'm hopeful I can convince the group into spending a day at Sugarloaf. Regardless there is a lot to look forward to.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have yet to spend a day at Stowe. Wildcat is awesome. Went for half a day last season and loved it. Whenever I head north I stay at a friend's place in Bridgton. Wildcat is a little over an hour away, which isn't bad at all. I'll be in the area after Christmas with some friends. We're planning to head to Sunday River but I'm hopeful I can convince the group into spending a day at Sugarloaf. Regardless there is a lot to look forward to.

Sugarloaf is a pretty long haul for a day trip from Bridgton. No real easy way to get there from Brigton. Wildcat might be an easier sell to your friends as an alternative to Sunday River.

I like the Brigton area a lot. I'm a big Shawnee Peak fan as well as far as mid-sized New England mountains go. It has a lot to offer for a place it's size.

SnowBro

Thank you steamboat. I'm envious of anyone who's been to any of the places you mentioned outside the U.S.

ScottySkis

In the east locally when it snows Platty ( what a shock). For 2 days or more Sugarbush, I or anywhere in North Vermont haven't been to Maine since I was a child going to Loaf this year will be awesome.

In the west I kind of jaded to SLC because it snowed over 100 inches the week I was there Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton , Snowbasin are all great terrain and awesome places Steamboat in Colorado very cool trees.

gostan

Three best ski resorts (trips) ever.

Revelstoke, BC
Le Tres Valles, France
Jackson Hole, Wyoming

Bonus NE pick because I have more days here than anywhere else: Sugarbush

Last edited:

Smellytele

NH - Cannon, Wildcat, Black
VT - MRG, Stowe, Magic
ME - Sugarloaf, Saddleback
NY - Whiteface, Gore

West - Snowbird, Copper, Squaw out of the places I have been

Huck_It_Baby

Stowe/Smuggs, Jackson, BC.

Shawnee is a cool place. I went there once a number of years ago and was blown away by the fact they they groomed around 4pm or so for the night skiing crowd.

canobie#1

Killington, Ragged and Wildcat (Finally going to sugarbush this season so the list might change)

mister moose

You guys have it all wrong.

#1) Where it just snowed 2 feet and the sun is out
#2) Where it's still snowing and every run your tracks are covered.
#3) Where the bumps are soft and plentiful.

abc

You guys have it all wrong, you are.

#1) Where it just snowed 2 feet and the sun is out
#2) Where it's still snowing and every run your tracks are covered.
#3) Where the bumps are soft and plentiful.
No, they're not wrong.

My top 3: Utah, Montana, Lake Tahoe area (tie with Colorado)

Reason:

#1) 2' dump followed by sunshine are frequent in the above places
#2) My tracks are often the only track when I got back up, not touched by other people's track
#3) Bumps are soft, if they form at all (see #2)

Terry

lNice to hear Shawnee get some mention. It is my home mt and we have a lot of fun there. It is not always about the amount of vert, or the huge number of trails. It is more about the vibe, conditions, and good friends that make for awesome days there. I have also had a lot of fun nights there when it is absolutly puking snow and no one is there. Every run is untracked! Can't wait for this season.