• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Area Memorabilia

4aprice

So I'm redecorating what was a kids type rec room to a "man cave" (kinda of hate that expression) type lounge. Already has a nice bar and good couches. Theme's are going to be our two favorite family activities nautical and skiing. For years I've been collecting pins and I know some others on here do too. (Billski has a nice collection on a hat). I'm mounting mine in a shadow box on cork cut outs of the states they are in, but have run into the problem not all places have pins. My biggest disappointment was on my last visit to Magic they had none and the girl at the shop gave me the impression that there was no such thing. Am trying to come up with some other collectables that all (major) areas would be likely to have. I've thought about shot glasses or mugs that could be mounted on small shelves much like I've seen golf balls with course logos stamped on them mounted in other peoples houses. I'm open to suggestions.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

steamboat1

Magic had pins, at least they used to. I have a magic pin on my hat. I remember the area was closed when I picked up the pin. I went downstairs to the ski shop & they didn't have them in there. The guy was nice enough to go into an office outside the ski shop & across the basement in some dark corner. In there they had a large bag full of pins. He gave me two (one for me, one for my wife) free of charge. I'd say this was about 5 years ago. The only ski area that I've come across that doesn't have a pin is Cochorans, they do have stickers though. I have a lot of pins from across New England, Quebec, & out west. Some of the pins I have you can't get anymore because the areas don't exist (NELSAP). Whenever I go someplace I've never been I pick up a pin. Not to many places left in the east that I don't already have.

jimk

How about trail maps? They're free and ubiquitous. I've visited ~50 ski areas since Jan '08 all around the country. The junk collector/hoarder in me regrets that I haven't systematically collected souvenirs from each. I usually buy something, but not always. What I've picked up over the years varies a lot; t-shirt here, patch there, pins, bumper stickers, cups/mugs, ball caps, etc. I actually sort of like patches. They are cheap and when I get home I will sometimes attach them to a shirt, jacket, or hat if I find a good match. Best souvenir I've found recently was a bright red casual sport shirt with a collar (sort of like a Hawaiian shirt) from the Kirkwood Inn a couple miles from Kirkwood ski area in California. The Kirkwood Inn is a restaurant/bar and former pony express stop dating from the 1860s. I guess they were discounting some old logo'd shirts they had on a rack by the door. This was last January and shirt was on sale for only $15 and is a pretty nice garment. I was tempted to buy a few extras for friends, but my Better Half nixed that idea.

SIKSKIER

Most of my favorite ski memoralbilia is a shamlessly a five finger discount.Let me see:
Most of this stuff is in one of my rooms

Cannon t-bars
Cannon carved trail signs
Cannon pony lift handle
Cannon tramway license plate
Cannons old bar plexiglass divider with skiers embossed
I have a Cannon Peabody chair but I did pay for that

dmc

We've been pulling a lot of stuff down off of EBay for vintage Hunter Mountain memorabilia..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
S My biggest disappointment was on my last visit to Magic they had none and the girl at the shop gave me the impression that there was no such thing.
Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Push the envelope a bit more. Nearly every area had a pin at some time or another. I even have one from Northeast Slopes!
Start asking around - ask the management. I remember getting to Whaleback right after they dumped all the pins in the dumpster. While the kid couldn't help me, Evan found one. Olympian Barbara Cochran scrounged around in an old desk drawer and found a pin and mailed it to me. I've even been known to get on my hands and knees looking under the counters in a rental shop! I've gotten several that way. I always promise to send them a picture of the hat with their pin prominently displayed. Hoping for a handful this winter when I hit the little boys in Maine.

I like pins best. They are small, portable, displayable in large quantities and don't cost much. Trail maps just end up in drawers, Patches and drinkware are an alternative, but not as portable as a hat, which has them all in one place.

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Most of my favorite ski memoralbilia is a shamlessly a five finger discount.Let me see:
Most of this stuff is in one of my rooms

Cannon t-bars
Cannon carved trail signs
Cannon pony lift handle
Cannon tramway license plate
Cannons old bar plexiglass divider with skiers embossed
I have a Cannon Peabody chair but I did pay for that

Now I understand why lift tickets are so expensive.

Let's see,

$250 tbar
$25 trail sign
$20 handle
$500 Tramway license tag
--
I'll make sure you get the bill. :dunce: