• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is the last time you took a lesson?

drjeff

I happened to run into one of my good friends at Mount Snow today, who was skiing with a friend of his who happens to be a PSIA Level 3 instructor, who was just out free skiing and enjoying some great early season snow.

What then happened was basically a 2 hour private clinic with me and my friend and the instructor. I hadn't had a formal lesson in probably 20 years, and it was really fun to be able to ski with someone who really gets both the little things that it takes to ski very well and also an ability to then identify and describe them in various ways to let you focus on what you need to do to "fix" things.

The instructor after watching me ski down a mix of firm skied off base snow, soft chalky grippy snow and some randomly sized and shaped bumps started asking me about what I was feeling with inside ankle as I was turning to the left with respect to boot pressure. As we were talking, and I started thinking about what he was asking me and why he was asking about it. After a couple of runs, and a couple of different explanations about what he wanted me to do (essentially I was overweighting my downhill ski while turning to the left, which was leaving my hips slightly open to the falline which if I wasn't 100% over the center of my skis, increased my chance of getting my weight back and increasing the chance of some skidding at the end of my turns to the left - I wasn't having this issue while turning to the right). Once it clicked with me, I was really finding that my "weak" side turns suddenly felt no different than my "strong" side turns!

Pretty cool experience for me today that showed me the value of some good tips from a good instructor. I won;t be 20 years since I take my next lesson for sure!

Edd

I took a private at Cannon last year. It had been quite a few years since I had a lesson. I may take another this season.

planb420

Lessons...what are those? Is that the feeling you get smashing yourself all over the mountain teaching yourself? I picked up my first snurfer at age 7 and never looked back (30 now), I bet I could benefit from a few lessons in the park though!

Skimaine

I have taken 1-2 private lessons every year for the last 5 years. Absolutely the best ski investment I have made. I did not start skiing until I was nearly 40.

RISkier

I started skiing at 49. Lessons have been invaluable. Last year we participated in an early season clinic at Stowe. We took a private lesson with Barb Marshall at Sugarbush -- I think she's just a terrific instructor. And we did a group off piste lesson at Alta. Private lessons are expensive and I've become darn picky about who I'd take a private lesson with. I have a long way to go but I'm comfortable on terrain I never ever thought I'd venture into. If you find really good instructors they are really helpful. Two recommendations are Barb Marshal at Sugarbush and Keith Renecle at Stowe. Stowe is just pricing themselves out of the market these days, but Keith is terrific. Recommendations at Mt. Snow or other mountains would be welcomed.

gostan

I did not begin skiing until age 37. And I invested in lessons for my children, with dad learning on the go. Several years ago I found that I could ski most everything, but my comfort level was challenged wht more difficult terrain and conditions. Three seasons ago, I opted to dedicate my Saturdays @sugarbush to a season long advanced adult clinic that reinvented my skiing. Best ski investment that I have ever made.:daffy::spread:

Smellytele

I haven't had an official lesson in over 15 years when I first was telemarking. I have skied with a telemark instructor I know a few times and he has given me a few drills and other things to try.

Savemeasammy

Never had one. I think one of my friends must have given me some pointers to get me started, but I don't really recall. It's been 30 years or so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottySkis

Well I haven't had one in a long time but suggestion is if you can take a group lesson midweek non holiday and it might have 2 or three people in making almost private.

Cannonball

My last ski lesson was on my first day of skiing ~1982.
My last snowboard lesson was on my first day riding 1995.
My last tele lesson was ~2001.

But just yesterday I was watching the racers go through tons of dills at Cannon and was thinking that some instruction would do me good. I don't think I'd get anything out of a snowboard lesson at this point. But I know I could use help with my skiing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Probably three years ago. After one particularly frustrating season of meager snow and frozen granular, I decided about 3-4 seasons ago to take a private where we focused on skiing on "ice". I was simply amazed that I could actually carve on ice (for the most part) by the end of it. After a half hour he said, "Now go practice. There's nothing more I can teach you[about that]."

Domeskier

I would like to do one of those summer glacier mogul camps, but mainly just to bash some bumps in the off season. I have no interest in learning arial maneuvers. I would be too self-conscious to toss off an invert or a screamin' seamen at some resort, anyway.

dlague

Never had one. I think one of my friends must have given me some pointers to get me started, but I don't really recall. It's been 30 years or so!

Ditto! School of hard knocks and read a lot! I have always wanted to take lessons to fix a few things.

C-Rex

Never, but I think that's because most snowboard instruction is for beginners or park stuff. I'm well past the beginner stage and while I have fun in the park once in a while, I'm more interested in glades, pow riding, and hopefully in the future some big mountain style lines. I guess I just never felt I would get enough out of it to make it worth the time and money.

Now I'm more interested in the backcountry and mountaineering side of things. I'm planning to sign up for EMS' 3 day winter mountaineering school and avalanche safety course this year.

ceo

Not since high school. I've been wanting to take advantage of the free lesson that comes with a rental package at Sugarloaf, but the timing on their lessons is incompatible with needing to pick my son up from his lesson.

CoolMike

I took a lesson 3 season ago. Ski and stay packages often include lessons. The lessons can be great fun. A good thing to do it show up at the appropriate time for the expert lesson, and if there are more than 2 other people waiting for an expert lesson then you just bail on it. If there's only a few people or just you then take the free lesson.

Tell them specifically what you want to work on, for example, I want to learn how to really carve the half pipe, or I need to improve riding switch through the trees, or I need to learn how to improve my speed coming out of steeps onto flats (for those annoying traverses for example).

Even if the instructor doesn't focus on the aspect of riding you really want to focus on, they will chat about it on the lifts. I like to ask for drills to practice. Practicing a few drills over the course of December sets me up well for pushing my personal limits over the next 3 months.