• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you eat on ski days?

Edd

I'm considering ways to save money on my ski days. What to bring and ways to carry it. I've often had lunch at the bar but I'm moving away from that.

I'd like to hear how people go about this. Need some good ideas. I enjoy having a beer or two for a break but I think liquor laws are a bit of an issue in lodges. I'm not one to change or have lunch/drinks at the car. Too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

HowieT2

I bring drinks and energy bars with me. Sometimes I'll bring a sandwich, but mostly I'll get a burger or chili from the cafeteria.

Mullen

^nice

energy/granola bars, jerky, water...my days are limited so i hate stopping to eat

I don't like to stop either....if I stop it's for a safety meeting. I eat a good breakfast and usually bring granola bars/trail mix etc in the pocket. I bring a couple sandwiches or leftovers for the ride home after. On colder days we might go into the lodge for a couple minutes for a bowl of soup or chili.

dlague

First, there are certain resorts that we will eat at because the food is good and pricing is not crazy. Other than the that, we generally, pack a bunch of healthy and not so healthy snacks and make at least a sandwich lunch or easy to pack finger foods. Beverages are heavy so we do not often pack those. Put everything in a back pack to make it easier to carry.

We are by no means successful at doing this all the time but ... when it works it is worth it!

skifree

usually eat on the lift. most always stop for a cold one though

millerm277

On a powder day, I'll put a sandwich and some snacks in my coat, and eat on the lift, stop to down a bottle of something at some point for 5 minutes for hydration.

On a normal day, I'll probably take a late + quick lunch in the lodge (maybe 30min). Usually go in about 1-1:30. A lot of the time I'll bring snacks and a drink and buy just the meal, as I do prefer a good hot lunch over a sandwich after a morning of skiing. But if the ski area has terrible food I'll bring the whole thing.

4aprice

Edd is that you?

At the home bump we usually bring lunch. They have been nice enough to set up an area in the lodge for the ski team and parents to have lunch. Try to avoid the cafeteria due to unhealthy choices and prices. On the road we sometimes eat in the lodge or in the spring when things are nice head out to the car and tailgate. Gotta weakness for the bar though and usually stop by for at least 1 (or more) wherever we are. (après ski).

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

C-Rex

Energy bars, fruit and other stuff that easily goes in a backpack. I try to eat a little something every couple runs to keep my energy level up. At lunch I usually just have a couple beers and some water.

I find that if you are going to pay for hot food, you're basically better off going to a restaurant on the hill instead of the cafeteria. It's usually not much more expensive, if at all, and you get service, much better food, and more comfortable seating. If I'm going to spend $20 on a burger and fries it might as well be a GOOD burger and fries.

xwhaler

On many occasions (through rarely anymore) I will pack a couple cans of tuna fish in my pocket. Quick stop in the lodge for lunch means grabbing a fork and a couple mayo packets to mix up. $1 per can, good protein refuel :)
You may need to ask the cafeteria to open it for you---Saddleback was great about this but I could see others not being so friendly.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This might gross some out but the first time I ever ate sardines was while skiing. To this day I really enjoy some sardines and crackers and while I haven't had it skiing in a while it seems like it goes together well.

MadMadWorld

I tend to eat a decent amount of food on the ride up and then pack myself a sandwich and such for lunch. Then I just usually grab something big on the way home.

Abominable

On many occasions (through rarely anymore) I will pack a couple cans of tuna fish in my pocket. Quick stop in the lodge for lunch means grabbing a fork and a couple mayo packets to mix up. $1 per can, good protein refuel :)
You may need to ask the cafeteria to open it for you---Saddleback was great about this but I could see others not being so friendly.

That's hilarious! "You can tune a snowboard but you can't tuna fish."

Put a couple of these in your ski clothes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

tnt

With the family, always pack a cooler. Feeding four in a lodge is expensive, and is another line to stand in. Also, not healthy….

I hate resorts that actively dissuade packing in food. Really bugs me to read signs telling me I have to buy their food.

Skiing alone or with friends, usually a few power bars, and a stop in the lodge for something small to rest and refuel.

Tin

I always do a big breakfast at a diner or some place prior. Pack a cooler with whatever sandwiches or stop at a deli the night before and chips with some fruit and a bunch of 80 cent 32oz Poweraids from Wally World. As for booze....a flask with some Jack or a six pack of some IPA. Usually drink out on a deck or right in the lodge. No one has ever said anything.

I view it as every 3-4 times we bring a lunch I can buy a lift tickets off liftopia or stay the night in a hotel.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
For day trips, I don't really worry about eating until the skiing is done.

For extended trips, I find a salami and mustard on rye holds up really well to different temperatures as well as getting jammed around in your pack. Beers and trail mix in the pack as needed depending on temperature and conditions. I only carry hydration pack, and drink from it if I eat in the lodge.

Many days while on an extended trip, I'll just ski from opening to around 2pm with just snacks and beer. Once I'm unbooted I'll head to the bar for early happy hour.