• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats 12/26

Savemeasammy

I'll start with the good: I got here late in the afternoon (2ish) and it's not as busy on the hill as it looks in the lot! On the honest side, if you plan a visit, make sure your edges are sharp! Most everything is skied off powder over ice... Hurricane is skiing the best - perhaps due to the recent snowmaking. They are firing away on vortex, so that might be good when it opens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smellytele

I was there as well today. Ghost town on the slopes. Was ski on almost all day. some trails were scraped off as SMS mentioned but there was snow that you could turn on. I was there 10-3.

Savemeasammy

I parked next to your car by the triple - maybe it was your wife? I was there from 2:30ish to 4:30/5ish. They shut down the vortex double late in the day, and peak double was still spinning instead (and the hurricane triple as usual). Closing virtue is a bummer. Very glad to see the lights though!

Smellytele

Went back and took a few more runs this evening. The vortex is the fastest lift there and that is the lift I like to lap on. They always close that lift when the crowds are light and the racers are done.
Yes it was my wife's vehicle.

Savemeasammy

It's great to live close enough to make a visit of an hour or two worth it :) We are going to be there this morning. It's time to get our 4 year old on the hill! Hopefully it goes well...

MadMadWorld

It's great to live close enough to make a visit of an hour or two worth it :) We are going to be there this morning. It's time to get our 4 year old on the hill! Hopefully it goes well...

The last time I skied Pat's, Vortex wasn't even a trail we just poached the liftline. Are you bringing the oldest? Seeing his older brother skiing might motivate him even more. Good luck with the little one Tim!

Smellytele

As you know take it slow with your 4 year old and hopefully he takes to it and as MMW said seeing his older brother doing usually is a big motivator. Have fun this morning we'll be there this afternoon.

username

I also went the 26th, though I went later in the day (from 3-6) after the bulk of the snow, so the trails were not too icy with the exception of a few spots.

Savemeasammy

Got the 4 year old on his skis today. We spent a while in the beginners area, and did several "runs" with him between my legs while I held him upright and helped him with his balance. I let go if him when I felt I could so that he could get the feel of gliding on his own. We did a 2 runs off the valley double so that he could have some more skiing with less work. Although he didn't really do a whole heck of a lot on his own, he was smiling and laughing much of the time. And the best part? When I asked him at the end of his day if he liked skiing, he said "it was awesome!" :)

MadMadWorld

Got the 4 year old on his skis today. We spent a while in the beginners area, and did several "runs" with him between my legs while I held him upright and helped him with his balance. I let go if him when I felt I could so that he could get the feel of gliding on his own. We did a 2 runs off the valley double so that he could have some more skiing with less work. Although he didn't really do a whole heck of a lot on his own, he was smiling and laughing much of the time. And the best part? When I asked him at the end of his day if he liked skiing, he said "it was awesome!" :)

Great to hear it. And really the last part is the most important thing!

Savemeasammy

The last time I skied Pat's, Vortex wasn't even a trail we just poached the liftline. Are you bringing the oldest? Seeing his older brother skiing might motivate him even more. Good luck with the little one Tim!

Btw, vortex is the trail under the top part of the vortex double. It spills into hurricane. They dropped the ropes on the bottom of the vortex liftline once last season that I recall. I hit numerous rocks, so it was a one time thing for me!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Btw, vortex is the trail under the top part of the vortex double. It spills into hurricane. They dropped the ropes on the bottom of the vortex liftline once last season that I recall. I hit numerous rocks, so it was a one time thing for me!

IIRC Peak Liftline was skiable in deep snow. Pretty fun and technical which was neat for a mountain that had a lot of groomers.

Smellytele

I have skied lower vortex a few times without hitting any rocks but under agree it needs lots of snow. Under the peak liftline there are some stumps that aren't much fun. You used to be able to ski it all the way but they put up that snow netting just above the big boulder pile.

Savemeasammy

Last season was my first at Pats. There was a decent amount of snow, but I'm sure a bigger winter would have made it more skiable. I wish they would clean it up and put it in the regular rotation.

bobbutts

yeah, it's amazing how many hoops a place needs to jump through to get new terrain online, and then Pat's has a nice looking run just sitting there unused for lack of mowing and moving around some ropes and nets. Maybe one reason not to call it a trail is so they can say 100% of trails super early in the season on fewer trails. Don't get me started on that, it's never good to say 100% and then there are ropes, and they say 100% even when their glades aren't open yet.

Savemeasammy

yeah, it's amazing how many hoops a place needs to jump through to get new terrain online, and then Pat's has a nice looking run just sitting there unused for lack of mowing and moving around some ropes and nets. Maybe one reason not to call it a trail is so they can say 100% of trails super early in the season on fewer trails. Don't get me started on that, it's never good to say 100% and then there are ropes, and they say 100% even when their glades aren't open yet.

Pats is "100%" - even though only 1 of their "glades" is open!

I heard a radio report for a ski area that claimed 90% of their snowmaking terrain is open. Whatever that means...!