• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paying extra $$ for all day VIP lift access?

DPhelan

what is the additional cost per ticket, per day for the upgrade at 6 flags/disney?

you can do it for free by buying a red jacket and sewing white patches on the front/back of it. strap a walkie talkie and some surgical tape to a carabiner to really seal the deal.

Smellytele

what is the additional cost per ticket, per day for the upgrade at 6 flags/disney?

you can do it for free by buying a red jacket and sewing white patches on the front/back of it. strap a walkie talkie and some surgical tape to a carabiner to really seal the deal.

Disney is free - but there is some rules and it takes some work to make it work for you.

jaytrem

For Six Flags they have 3 different levels (see details below). It now looks like there is no discount for addition people per "flash pass". At one time there was, so it was a much better deal to have 4 people rather than 1. Here are the current numbers for Six Flag Magic Mountain in California..

1 Person Reg = $40 Gold = $65 Platinum = $95
[h=4]With three speeds to choose from, you don’t have to wait in line![/h]With THE FLASH Pass Platinum your reservation reduces wait time by up to 90% plus you can enjoy selected rides TWICE IN A ROW without leaving your seat!
With THE FLASH Pass Gold your reservation will reduce wait time by up to 50%.
With THE FLASH Pass Regular your reservation time will be equal to the current wait time, you just don’t have to physically stand in line. THE FLASH Pass lets you spend less time waiting and more time having fun!

BenedictGomez

Then you would be completely wrong. A couple flakes of hay and a couple quarts of grain twice a day. Not that much cost.

My Dad was a horse nut. We had horses for 24 years. I know what it costs, because I trucked in the hay, I carried in the grain, and I fed the horses. And I didn't say an entire stable, I said 2 horses, which is being generous. You can play polo on one horse if you only want to play one chukker and then let the horse rest, while another team member takes your position.

Just admit you're wrong and move on. It was a ridiculous statement.

Hey man, can I "bum" a horse off you for the next chucker, I'm kindof tapped out this month? I can only afford to play like half of this match.

Said Nobody EVER.

Does this mean I can cut lift lines if I'm riding a polo horse?

Assuming he can still stand from the skinflint feeding.

mister moose

Just admit you're wrong and move on. It was a ridiculous statement.

Hey man, can I "bum" a horse off you for the next chucker, I'm kindof tapped out this month? I can only afford to play like half of this match.

Said Nobody EVER.

Assuming he can still stand from the skinflint feeding.

Your reading comprehension is approaching abysmal. I personally know of several instances where a horse owner elected to play polo owning only one horse, and the team welcomed him and played him in games. No one ever said you have to go begging for more horses, or that you even have to play the whole game.

Shallowbrook Stables in Somers CT (A long ways from Newport) for years was a big polo barn, and many area horse people were introduced to the sport through their passion for horses and polo. One of those people that learned to play polo was Brad Davis of WDRC, a DJ turned personality talk show host, who promoted Shallowbrook occasionally on the air. I don't know what Davis's salary is/was, but I'm pretty sure it pales in comparison to the Newport summer home set. I've never seen local AM DJ on any high earning career list. Brad got started, like a lot of people did, not owning a horse, but using one of Shallowbrook's. It was time share at it's earliest, you only paid for the brief time you used the horse, and many people used that horse over the course of any month.

Again, polo is played at both struggling local fields by folks that do all their own work, and royal castle lawns by folks that have huge staff to do the work and huge stables with professional trainers. The cost of admission varies widely just like skiing. That was my point, and I stand by it. I'll point out that on the Newport Polo website link a few posts back you can rent a horse for a chukker for $75. That has got to be the best deal on the planet. For the same price as a walk up ski ticket, you get to play one of the greatest games in the world. It takes the skill of tennis, the blocking of football and the stick work of hockey, and plays them on a 900 foot field at speeds over 30 mph. You must form a synergistic team of you and the horse, neither can be effective without the other.

The polo I know starts at 7am, when you feed the horses. Then you eat breakfast, pack your gear and hook the truck to the trailer. Pack and check all the tack. Bandage the horses legs, and play the lets-go-in-the-trailer game. Drive an hour to the field. Unload and groom the horses. Eat lunch. Tack up the horses. A little bit of warm-up, and the game starts. 4 chukkers later, walk the horses, wash off the sweat, walk the horses until dry. Tailgate dinner with everyone, load up, drive home, unpack, clean tack. So to play 4 chukkers (or less) takes a whole day of effort. $75/chukker to stroll up and play AT NEWPORT with none of the support work looks like a pretty good deal to me.

The fact that your stated experience consists of driving by horse farms, and your callous interpretation of 'a few flakes of hay' leads me to believe you're just trolling, and still treading on stereotypes.

I'm guessing you don't know the difference between the cost of boarding a horse at a stable and owning your own backyard shed barn, or the difference between a bale of hay bought in the field by the truckload vs the single bale at the feed store.

Last edited:

AdironRider

Gotta love the clowns who think because something was attainable 30 years ago, automatically means it is now.

Hay has gotten quite expensive recently. Up 62% this year alone in my neck of the woods.

And like the folks at Myopia Hunt club are going to let you borrow a horse.

Just the vet bills alone will cost more than an average families entire spend on skiing. Benedict is right in this case.

mister moose

To close out this thread (maybe) I thought I'd add a little local flavor for CT folks:

As you exit I-84 at Rte 4 in Farmington next time, watch on the right after the first light. You'll see a green state sign that says

"Col Everett Kandarian Memorial Highway"

"Kandy" was a Colonel in the Governor's Horseguard, a vestige from the past but still a completely legitimate arm of the military. He worked as a jet engine inspector at Pratt & Whitney. His 15 minutes of fame was riding his horse for the Bicentenial from Philidelphia to Hartford carrying a copy of the Declaration of Independence, reinacting the post rider of 1776. The photo of him crossing the GW Bridge on horseback made all the papers. He was active in the horse guard for decades, and..... he played polo. He was a regular guy working a regular job with a lifetime avocation for horses.

[Paul Harvey] And now you know the rest of the story. [/Paul Harvey]

mlkrgr

I do think demand pricing for holiday weeks makes sense. Though, you already see that somewhat through how Sunday River prices ski and stay vacations; prices vary week by week and can differ any given week between midweek and weekend. It essentially keeps the slopes open and enjoyable for those who want to pay. Same thing happens at Liftopia. Some ski resorts don't welcome groups during holiday periods as well according to ski bus group managers I've talked with. Bus group pricing goes up that much at Mt Snow in particular that bus groups would have to raise their tix prices by $20; its not more than a few bucks at most resorts which most will eat themselves.

Last edited:

tnt

At stratton I saw a few lifts had "Bear Tracks" (or something like that) access lanes. I think they have a club house there, and I assume those lanes are for members of the club.

tnt

What about caps on attendance? Would you pay a little more for a lift ticket if you knew the mountain was only going to sell an amount that results in short lines?

steamboat1

What about caps on attendance? Would you pay a little more for a lift ticket if you knew the mountain was only going to sell an amount that results in short lines?

I believe Deer Valley has a cap on ticket sales, at least they used to. For some reason I think there were other mountains that did also but I can't remember which ones.

skiNEwhere

Deer valley caps attendance, and if it keeps the resorts getting crowded like Breckenridge on a Saturday, I'd pay a little extra