• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paying extra $$ for all day VIP lift access?

drjeff

Is it safe to say that most places open earlier for pass holders? I think it's not much of an issue because the day trippers don't really notice. Seems like a nice perk on those days when it counts :)

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Mount Snow runs the Bluebird Express on Saturdays from early January through mid march from 7:30 until 8AM for season passholders. They also do some Sunday AM's from 7:30 until 8 for residents of certain developments once a season

skiNEwhere

If I showed up at Mt. Snow on the weekend and the line at the Bluebird was insane, but the HSQ was ski on for the privileged, I'd be pissed. I'd want the the extra lift capacity spread out to ease the waiting for everyone.

I couldn't do that, I'd feel like a complete douche with a "let them eat cake" mentality

mister moose

If anybody wanted to buy back Haystack(The Hermitage Club) now, given what Mr. Barnes has already invested in it, and the membership base of around 200 families (and growing) currently, I'm guessing that would be around a $75 to $100 million dollar buy back (word on the street is he's already spent well North of $50 million on the entire property between the ski area, the Inn, the golf course, the new base lodge under construction and the air strip) with another 30 to 50 million planned over the next 5 to 10 years. While the adage "everything has it's price" likely applies, what it would take to buy The Hermitage Club now is far greater than the 5 million the ski area sold for and far more $$ than it would be worth to see any appreciable return on investment with, especially given that Mount Snow is looking at a major snowmaking project in the very near future with a price tag comfortably into 8 figures

You realize what you just said is that no owner, Mt Snow or otherwise , can recover the investment to date in Haystack.

drjeff

You realize what you just said is that no owner, Mt Snow or otherwise , can recover the investment to date in Haystack.

Yup. I'm quite skeptical that the amount real estate that would need to be sold to recoup the investment can be done.

I no longer am skeptical that they can attract enough members to cover their annual operating expenses though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

mister moose

Haha!

I could care less about special lift privileges, I'd rather be able to pay extra to get fresh tracks on a pow day. As in, they leave a few trails closed until noon except for those who pay a fee to access them. Then at noon, they open it up to the general crowd.

if it was only $5 to cut the line, would you do it? on a powder day?

Really? $5??? On a good powder day, I guarantee you everyone in the line at 8am that got up early, re-arranged their whole day (and on a weekday called in sick/late) just to get fresh tracks would pay WAY more than $5. There are so few true powder days in the east. I think you'd need to be north of $100 extra to thin the line down, and even then you'd have no shortage of takers.

I think you all have missed all the opportunities this kind of thinking offers. Just imagine:

Roped off tables section in the lodge that have more room. For a large fee you get an all day reserved table, no need to squeeze in with (ugh) strangers or cruise the aisles tray in hand looking for a seat.

Resorts that have gondolas can put on 7 or 8 VIP cars on the line that have mini-bars stocked with wine and cheese, caviar, smoked salmon on crackers, and other goodies, and a hostess. Special lift line, of course. On a lift with a 7 minute ride time, one will be along every 2-3 minutes.

Roped off trails with bouncers. Corduroy until noon!!!

VIP rest rooms, complete with hot towels and constant cleaning.

Legal Aides. A personal injury lawyer that skis with you all day, ready to take the name and address of anyone that runs into you, cuts you off, or uses foul language.

The "Spread-out pass". This entitles you to have a chair or cabin all to yourself, no others allowed, even on the most crowded day.

The "Facebook package" A camera crew follows you around with 3 video cameras, a boom mike, and lighting director. At the end of your day you get an edited down video to post to Facebook of how awesome your day was, including the adoring faces of all the people in the line that you cut.

Baggage fees. Carry on baggage is now limited to just skis and boards. Any backpacks, camels, belt packs, cameras, or other items will be charged on a per trip basis.

Of course, a lift ticket would now have to read a "Lift sometimes", or a "Lift on a delayed basis" ticket.

MEtoVTSkier

Really? $5??? On a good powder day, I guarantee you everyone in the line at 8am that got up early, re-arranged their whole day (and on a weekday called in sick/late) just to get fresh tracks would pay WAY more than $5. There are so few true powder days in the east. I think you'd need to be north of $100 extra to thin the line down, and even then you'd have no shortage of takers.

I think you all have missed all the opportunities this kind of thinking offers. Just imagine:

Roped off tables section in the lodge that have more room. For a large fee you get an all day reserved table, no need to squeeze in with (ugh) strangers or cruise the aisles tray in hand looking for a seat.

Resorts that have gondolas can put on 7 or 8 VIP cars on the line that have mini-bars stocked with wine and cheese, caviar, smoked salmon on crackers, and other goodies, and a hostess. Special lift line, of course. On a lift with a 7 minute ride time, one will be along every 2-3 minutes.

Roped off trails with bouncers. Corduroy until noon!!!

VIP rest rooms, complete with hot towels and constant cleaning.

Legal Aides. A personal injury lawyer that skis with you all day, ready to take the name and address of anyone that runs into you, cuts you off, or uses foul language.

The "Spread-out pass". This entitles you to have a chair or cabin all to yourself, no others allowed, even on the most crowded day.

The "Facebook package" A camera crew follows you around with 3 video cameras, a boom mike, and lighting director. At the end of your day you get an edited down video to post to Facebook of how awesome your day was, including the adoring faces of all the people in the line that you cut.

Baggage fees. Carry on baggage is now limited to just skis and boards. Any backpacks, camels, belt packs, cameras, or other items will be charged on a per trip basis.

Of course, a lift ticket would now have to read a "Lift sometimes", or a "Lift on a delayed basis" ticket.

Wow all that for just an extra Benjamin? Sign me up! :thumbup:

BenedictGomez

Whenever I hear mentions of skiing cost from my family, I either ask my brother how much he pays for playing golf or my sister how much she pays for their boat.

The key to keeping skiing affordable is to look for discounts. Only time you spend too much is when you buy unnecessary equipment or pay rack rates.

Precisely. As I said, if you're not lazy, and not a dope, skiing is not THAT expensive, and I'd hardly call it a "sport of priveldge" like Tin did. It's not Polo for god's sake.

I pay very little to ski, but then, I'm not a lazy doofus who pays Saturday full price 12 times a season.

mister moose

I'd hardly call it a "sport of priveldge" like Tin did. It's not Polo for god's sake.

LOL. You stumbled into another stereotype. While polo is much more rare than skiing, it is identical in the varying cost of entry. Sure, you can be the gazillionaire Palm Beach player, but you can also be the backyard league player on a budget. I'll bet the cost of owning two horses, feed, hay, a backyard barn, and a trailer isn't too different than a ski house, skis and season pass. Might even be less, depending on the horses. And you can play year round. There used to be a team at Sugarbush. What it does take is tons more dedication. (If you do it yourself) The horses have to eat every day. Turned out every day. Stalls have to be cleaned every day. Your house purchase is based on the barn. That is likely the reason more people don't do it.

I'd say formula car racing, Americas Cup racing, or the unlimited Reno air racing would be more " a sport of priviledge". You can't buy or maintain those vehicles on the cheap. The most expensive sport on earth: Isn't on earth. Space tourism.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Whenever I hear mentions of skiing cost from my family, I either ask my brother how much he pays for playing golf or my sister how much she pays for their boat.

Comparing skiing to golf and boating (and polo) isn't really a strong case for it being affordable. I think when people say that skiing is expensive they are putting it in the context of things like paying for housing, heat, food, medical care, raising children....

jack97

..... While polo is much more rare than skiing, it is identical in the varying cost of entry.....

I thought that was the crux of the arguments..... by having a vip lift access the cost of skiing would go higher. We already have exclusive areas like yellow ski club and now hermitage. We have ski in and out condos. We have skis that msrp for over $1K. Boots and soft goods approaching the $1k mark.

IMO... anything that keeps the douchbaggery off the slopes is good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I thought that was the crux of the arguments..... by having a vip lift access the cost of skiing would go higher. We already have exclusive areas like yellow ski club and now hermitage. We have ski in and out condos. We have skis that msrp for over $1K. Boots and soft goods approaching the $1k mark.

IMO... anything that keeps the douchbaggery off the slopes is good.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to imply. Are you saying low income = douchbaggery? I wouldn't think so knowing you, but someone else might.

jack97

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to imply. Are you saying low income = douchbaggery? I wouldn't think so knowing you, but someone else might.

hmmm... your'e spot on dh, maybe I need more coffee before posting in the morning. I meant the following.

entitlement = douchbaggery
entitlement due to wealth = douchbaggery x 10

Last edited:

AdironRider

hmmm... your'e spot on dh, maybe I need more coffee before posting in the morning. I meant the following.

entitlement = douchbaggery
entitlement due to wealth = douchbaggery x 10

Since they are conceivably paying extra for the privilege to cut lines, there's really no entitlement whatsoever.

Smellytele

Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbor to have them through envy.
Aristotle

jack97

Jealousy is both reasonable and belongs to reasonable men, while envy is base and belongs to the base, for the one makes himself get good things by jealousy, while the other does not allow his neighbor to have them through envy.
Aristotle

haha... using culture to justify a free market valued base scheme. no worries, i make enuf where i can swing a pay extra deal. i choose not to do so for many reasons.

BenedictGomez

You stumbled into another stereotype. While polo is much more rare than skiing, it is identical in the varying cost of entry. Sure, you can be the gazillionaire Palm Beach player, but you can also be the backyard league player on a budget. I'll bet the cost of owning two horses, feed, hay, a backyard barn, and a trailer isn't too different than a ski house, skis and season pass. Might even be less,

I was born, raised, and still currently live in horse country.

You cannot drive more than 5 minutes around here in any direction you choose without stumbling upon a horse farm.

And I assure you, you're more incorrect than you could imagine. In fact, I am certain you dont even know what it costs to FEED a SINGLE horse for one month, let alone an entire stable of polo ponies for a year.

Skimaine

. . . Just imagine:

Roped off tables section in the lodge that have more room. For a large fee you get an all day reserved table, no need to squeeze in with (ugh) strangers or cruise the aisles tray in hand looking for a seat. . .

This already exists at the River. You can rent the exclusive Ski Suite.

BenedictGomez

Aristotle

Those are extremely wise, and very true words.

Aristotle was smart and stuff.

I'd take it a step further, and note that generally those who "hate" those who have more than them are weak people, typically in both mind and effort.

mister moose

I was born, raised, and still currently live in horse country.

You cannot drive more than 5 minutes around here in any direction you choose without stumbling upon a horse farm.

And I assure you, you're more incorrect than you could imagine. In fact, I am certain you dont even know what it costs to FEED a SINGLE horse for one month, let alone an entire stable of polo ponies for a year.

Then you would be completely wrong. A couple flakes of hay and a couple quarts of grain twice a day. Not that much cost.

My Dad was a horse nut. We had horses for 24 years. I know what it costs, because I trucked in the hay, I carried in the grain, and I fed the horses. And I didn't say an entire stable, I said 2 horses, which is being generous. You can play polo on one horse if you only want to play one chukker and then let the horse rest, while another team member takes your position.