• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paying extra $$ for all day VIP lift access?

JDMRoma

BWoods has the Alpine club, you get first tracks every morning...they start 30 minutes before everyone else ! Its I think...not 100% sure but 4 or 500 a month club per family but not sure of the details. I only see them while Im waiting for the 8am bell !

deadheadskier

Staff member
He didn't come up with this question out of thin air. The Mt Snow GM asked this question on the pass holder site. Apparently they're seriously considering trying it with the Grand Summit Express. If it works out on their tests days it could be an every weekend thing next year.

I wonder what the break even point would be for the mountain to offer this? How many $25 passes would they need to sell.

How would it effect the line on the 6-pack? Doesn't Mt. Snow need the additional lift capacity for everyone on the weekends, not just those willing to pay extra?

Smellytele

With Copper it isn't a separate lift just a separate line for the lift. I actually just bought some VIP tix on line because they were actaully cheaper than any others I could find. I normal ticket there is 114 (which I don't think many pay) but prebuy is 72 on their website (liftopia). For the vip line it cost 30 dollars more and you can up grade any ticket to it. If you stay at Copper the upgrade is free.

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/landingpages/secretpass2012

hammer

Don't like it at theme parks (Disney's system is OK because you don't pay extra for it) and I don't like it at ski areas. I'd rather see places limit ticket sales for the day.

WWF-VT

I always thought of this idea...
Once a month, the mountain charges $30 extra on a midweek day. The typical skier would be driven away by the 100-120$ ticket (depending on the mountain), while those who do pay get uncrowded lifts, lodges, and slopes. Season pass holders wouldn't be allowed unless they paid $30.

Midweek days at most mountains already have uncrowded lifts, lodges and slopes. Why pay extra $$?

farlep99

The lineless, easy-ride up will do nothing to solve the clusterf*ck, sh!tshow on the way down

Tin

My issue with skiing is that it is an exclusive, privileged, white sport, this would only add to it. I can see Stratton doing something like this as well. I would avoid any resort that did it.

Tin

Don't like it at theme parks (Disney's system is OK because you don't pay extra for it) and I don't like it at ski areas. I'd rather see places limit ticket sales for the day.

Would be great but I doubt the difference in insurance costs (if any) would make it worth while. Has there been a law suit yet for someone getting injured by another skier/rider and suing the area for negligence for allowing too many people?

bobbutts

The flash pass thing pissed me off at Six Flags this summer
makes the regular people line longer, it's also insulting to ask for even more when you've already paid quite a bit

I'd just avoid going to a ski area that had this on a day where this is necessary.

Too bad for the recreation industry that nobody goes Sun-Fri and everybody comes on Sat. Mt Snow does unlimited 2-1's weekdays with a rideandski card, so clearly they have weekday capacity to spare. It's a hard question, limiting sales is an option too, but then you run the risk of losing the impulse customer who doesn't go or is turned away. The bonus is there is less overcrowding on trails and lodges. Doing the VIP pass does nothing to help with that.

mlkrgr

Wouldn't like to see this, but if it happens, express pass sales should be limited so that no more than 10% of the capacity is filled by express riders. Else people will get annoyed.

Interesting thing I'm seeing lately is that Waterville has been really reeling in their discounts. I haven't seen a comp ticket out there (they were at the mall last year; also 99 amongst other places), and only day ticket discount I've seen announced is the Pats Tuesday. Otherwise, word is that the place is empty midweek since the $43 Mondays and Fridays are gone and the $43 w/ a Dunkin receipt on Wednesday, and $49 lift and lunch on Thursdays. Now, even with comps and discounts, they do well filling most chairs on Sunnyside and White Peaks. I can see this on Sundays to eliminate comps and bump up pricing as lines were around 15 minutes. So I guess this all got replaced by a frequent skier card that costs $95, includes a free day, and takes 3 days to break even on due to the $20-30 price premium over a window price, and a $15/day discount.

tnt

The flash pass thing pissed me off at Six Flags this summer
makes the regular people line longer, it's also insulting to ask for even more when you've already paid quite a bit

I'd just avoid going to a ski area that had this on a day where this is necessary.

Too bad for the recreation industry that nobody goes Sun-Fri and everybody comes on Sat. Mt Snow does unlimited 2-1's weekdays with a rideandski card, so clearly they have weekday capacity to spare. It's a hard question, limiting sales is an option too, but then you run the risk of losing the impulse customer who doesn't go or is turned away. The bonus is there is less overcrowding on trails and lodges. Doing the VIP pass does nothing to help with that.

Work obviously is always a hassle to most. But I could do better job at shuffling and rescheduling, and just flat out re-prioritizing to get out there on weekdays and really enjoy the the quiet. But it's almost harder to get the kids out of school anymore. Between school work and activities…. I don't know, maybe not for everyone, but that's how we feel.

Gonna try a few times this jan and feb though. Life's to short not enjoy a few weekdays on an uncrowded mountain….

C-Rex

But then you have to ride the lift with the help...

Haha!

I could care less about special lift privileges, I'd rather be able to pay extra to get fresh tracks on a pow day. As in, they leave a few trails closed until noon except for those who pay a fee to access them. Then at noon, they open it up to the general crowd.

skiNEwhere

2) if you can do this you have to much money to burn and should be spending it in more productive ways

In all fairness, I think the general publics conception of skiing is that only those with money to burn participate in the sport to begin with.

Western ski areas with trams let their instructors with their class on the first tram car before the rest of the public, guaranteeing they get first powder tracks in the morning.

Winter Park doesn't have a tram but they do it too.

My issue with skiing is that it is an exclusive, privileged, white sport, this would only add to it. I can see Stratton doing something like this as well. I would avoid any resort that did it.

Stratton already does that, or at least did, according to this article from 2005. Only $50,000! http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/18/travel/18club.html?pagewanted=print&position=&_r=0

NY Times said:
Then there is the prized perk available only to Mr. Richter and his fellow members of the Stratton Mountain Club. "Go to the immediate left," Mr. Richter said, as he and his girlfriend glided down to the Ursa Express lift, which had grown to nine cattle lines by midmorning. He flashed a white plastic card and immediately went to the front of the line.

I got a "flash pass" for six flags once on a PACKED Saturday. There were probably 500-600 people in main line for the superman coaster, and 20-30 people in the "flash pass" line. They alternated taking a whole group from the main line for one coaster train, and one group from the flash pass line for the next train. Since it was so crowded, the flash pass line filled up the entire train, which effectively doubled the wait time for the main line. There were people yelling at the lift attendants about how much BS that was and that they had paid to get into the park as well. I couldn't agree with them more, and yes, I did feel like a total douche