• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt snow bluebird

Snowlover

Anyone ridden that thing yet? Seems completely absurd marketing tool to get nyc yuppies. Is the thing even heated inside? Seems completely pointless if it's not heated. And your feet and legs would be exposed anyway if it was heated. I'm sorry, but I like being outside and going up on the chair lift instead of looking through some stupid blue bubble. If it's that cold that I can't handle the cold wind, then I'd rather just ride a gondola and be warm inside. Not something that just blocks winds. Oh and that blue bird thing cost over 8 million dollars! How absurd is that. I have no idea how it's possible to spend that much money on one lift. Of course we all pay for that with eventual lift ticket spikes. I'd be more concerend about chairlift safety than hype like a 6 pack(http://blog.ctnews.com/snowzone/2010/12/29/chair-lift-accident-raises-concerns/) Lucky no one died. No reason a chair lift should ever fall.

Snowlover

So it's not heated then I guess.

Yeah just give me a good old fashioned chair lift. :) I'm not a bubble boy

Snowlover

No one else prefers to be outside, rather than in a bubble? Does anyone else really enjoy the chair lift ride up and looking at nature and getting the wind/snow in your face?(assuming it's not below zero)

skifree

Anyone ridden that thing yet? Seems completely absurd marketing tool to get nyc yuppies. Is the thing even heated inside? Seems completely pointless if it's not heated. And your feet and legs would be exposed anyway if it was heated. I'm sorry, but I like being outside and going up on the chair lift instead of looking through some stupid blue bubble. If it's that cold that I can't handle the cold wind, then I'd rather just ride a gondola and be warm inside. Not something that just blocks winds. Oh and that blue bird thing cost over 8 million dollars! How absurd is that. I have no idea how it's possible to spend that much money on one lift. Of course we all pay for that with eventual lift ticket spikes. I'd be more concerend about chairlift safety than hype like a 6 pack(http://blog.ctnews.com/snowzone/2010/12/29/chair-lift-accident-raises-concerns/) Lucky no one died. No reason a chair lift should ever fall.

You have serious issues

steamboat1

Bubble chairs are nothing new. Mt. Snow even had them back in the 60's. What I do like about the new bubble chairs is that the safety bar & bubble raises automatically when it enters the unloading terminal at the top. I assume the Bluebird does this also, don't know because I haven't taken a ride on it yet. The quad bubbles I rode up at Mt. Sainte Anne & Stoneham in Quebec did.

Snowlover

The bubble is optional - you don't HAVE to put it down.

Yeah you do, unless you want to fight with 5 other people. lol Doesn't the thing automatically go up and down anyway? It just seems if their going to spend 8 million bucks might as well get a gondola. I still can't get over how much money that is for a lift. What does a standard lift cost?

Snowlover

To put the cost in perspective. Powder ridge...the entire ski area with 4 old lifts was purchased for 700k and the state granted 500k for upgrades. 8 MILLION for ONE lift? Crazy. lol

xwhaler

When can we get snowlover banned from contributing totally useless drivel to this community?

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

mriceyman

The line was always too long when i was there to ride it. If it gets more yuppy families to come to your mountain then i guess it could be worth it.

Snowlover

When can we get snowlover banned from contributing totally useless drivel to this community?

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app
You do realize that "banning" is a joke anyway to someone who knows computers. Even you block the ip, anyone can just rebound in off a proxy server. I couldnt' be bothered doing that. But I'm just saying.

You can easily add me to your ignore list....why not do that instead of making personal attacks which the morderator asked you not to?

drjeff

You should wear a helmet more often!!!

The Bluebird with the bubble down covers all but essentially your boots and skis/ board in a full backed, comfortable unlike any other chairlift in the East, seat and operates in winds of higher velocity than "regular" chairs can (I rode it over 30 times the last 2 days alone in wind gusts over 40mph that shutdown other "traditional" lifts at Mount Snow). I also rode it almost 20 times in the rain yesterday (no way I would of made 20+ runs -I did take a few on an open high speed quad with my son too yesterday) without the bubble yesterday!

I can't tell you the number of times I've ridden the Bluebird with other people commenting how great it is to NOT have to take your skis/ board off and still ride in protected comfort - even today that happened a few times) vs. Riding in a gondola.

The bluebird has been a business draw to Mount Snow in now its 3rd year of operation.

You, snowlover, have some SERIOUS negativity issues combined with a more and more apparent lack of ski industry reality and knowledge.

Ride it before you bash it! Or otherwise just complain about snowmaking in my actual home state of CT!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Snowlover

You should wear a helmet more often!!!

The Bluebird with the bubble down covers all but essentially your boots and skis/ board in a full backed, comfortable unlike any other chairlift in the East, seat and operates in winds of higher velocity than "regular" chairs can (I rode it over 30 times the last 2 days alone in wind gusts over 40mph that shutdown other "traditional" lifts at Mount Snow). I also rode it almost 20 times in the rain yesterday (no way I would of made 20+ runs -I did take a few on an open high speed quad with my son too yesterday) without the bubble yesterday!

I can't tell you the number of times I've ridden the Bluebird with other people commenting how great it is to NOT have to take your skis/ board off and still ride in protected comfort - even today that happened a few times) vs. Riding in a gondola.

The bluebird has been a business draw to Mount Snow in now its 3rd year of operation.

You, snowlover, have some SERIOUS negativity issues combined with a more and more apparent lack of ski industry reality and knowledge.

Ride it before you bash it! Or otherwise just complain about snowmaking in my actual home state of CT!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

I know we are paying for yuppie crap like that that I don't need. 8 million. enough said. Man up....it's just some wind. I'll be at magic anyway where we don't need that. I don't care about ski industry catering to rich people. it doesnt' mean shit to me. Just giving my 2 cents.

Onto next thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Anyone ridden that thing yet? 1. Seems completely absurd marketing tool to get nyc yuppies. 2. Is the thing even heated inside? Seems completely pointless if it's not heated. 3. And your feet and legs would be exposed anyway if it was heated. 4. I'm sorry, but I like being outside and going up on the chair lift instead of looking through some stupid blue bubble. 5. If it's that cold that I can't handle the cold wind, then I'd rather just ride a gondola and be warm inside. Not something that just blocks winds. 6. Oh and that blue bird thing cost over 8 million dollars! How absurd is that. I have no idea how it's possible to spend that much money on one lift. 7. Of course we all pay for that with eventual lift ticket spikes.8. I'd be more concerend about chairlift safety than hype like a 6 pack(http://blog.ctnews.com/snowzone/2010/12/29/chair-lift-accident-raises-concerns/) Lucky no one died. No reason a chair lift should ever fall.

1. Yes, it is a marketing tool, and although I have not seen the numbers, based on weekend crowds it has worked VERY well in attracting people.
2. Not heated, but it doesn't have to be. It is very warm inside the bubble.
3. I've never complained about my legs/feet getting cold.
4. Don't like looking through a stupid blue bubble? Guess you don't like looking through stupid _____(insert color of your goggles here) colored goggles either.
5. Gondolas are annoying on nearly every level. Bubbles are 10x better.
6. The lift cost a lot because:
Lot's of blasting had to be done.
A large barn had to be built.
Trees and earth were removed (they removed a small hill).
The lift is very long at over 7,300 feet. Most detachable lifts are 4,000 to 6,000 feet long.
7. Tickets have risen 6$ since the building of the Bluebird.
8. Why are you citing an accident that happened 4 years ago on an ancient double chair at one of the most wind-prone mountains in the East?

And lastly, how can you have an opinion if you haven't ridden the damn thing yet?