• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Outdoor NHL games.

Bene288

I'm pretty torn over all of the outdoor games this season. I think it's awesome to see hockey being played in places like Yankee Stadium and especially Fenway Park. But the theatrics of the whole thing make me sick. They're trying to turn it into the Super Bowl. The NHL is a different animal from the other big sports, I think it should stay that way to maintain it's roots and romanticism.

Outdoor hockey in California? Come on.. I'd rather see a probowl type game of ball hockey instead.

twinplanx

I'm pretty torn over all of the outdoor games this season. I think it's awesome to see hockey being played in places like Yankee Stadium and especially Fenway Park. But the theatrics of the whole thing make me sick. They're trying to turn it into the Super Bowl. The NHL is a different animal from the other big sports, I think it should stay that way to maintain it's roots and romanticism.

Outdoor hockey in California? Come on.. I'd rather see a probowl type game of ball hockey instead.

And now a Frankie Vali impression?

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Bene288

Haha, it's sad the Jersey Boys were a little more entertaining than the lackluster effort Kiss put out last night.

twinplanx

I wish they would bring in some temporary seating to fill all the empty space on the field. Ice should be good today :)

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

Bene288

They were just talking about how the goalies loose the puck easier due to the crowds being so far away. I could see the depth perception being a little wacky for a goalie.

Should have been the Bruins playing the Rangers. Having a bunch of B's fans in Yankee Stadium? Yeah

deadheadskier

Staff member
The ice in LA must have sucked. Even at Fenway the ice has been pretty bad at times during warmer weather.

Bene288

I used to love it when it was 1 game a year. Now it is way overplayed.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. I think they did so many this year to make up the lost revenue from last season's lock out. Hopefully they tone it down next year.

marc6387

Couldn't agree more with the overplayed part. You had something good and your got greedy.

krado

I'm on board with not overplaying the outdoor games. I had some friends who went to the college games at Fenway park and they said they felt they were too far away from the action. I heard talk about Bruins vs Canadiens at Gillette stadium - I certainly wouldn't want to be sitting in the 300 sections! I'm thinking the game in California will be a slush-fest...