• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiers are a sick breed

hammer

Florida to me is God!s waiting room :) , i want no part of that iam way to young at heart to accept that as my fate . My dad moved there ,great home on a championship golf course . Wed go to the pool and listen to who died last nite , who lost a body part to the knife etc etc .

We went to a fancy golf dinner dance and the master of ceremonies keeled over dead at the mike :sadwalk:Nope i wanna burn out not rust out dammit :dunce: been to the islands several times bored the hell out of me after 2 days . Got sick of the hey mon no problemo approach to situations that were lets say promises Undelivered by the resort in question.

Nah ..... Im going skiing this am and play with my ski posse in a fresh 10 inches

If I NEED to retire to someplace warm I can think of plenty of places other than FL to go. I do family vacations there often and it's fine for that but I would never want to live there.

All said I wouldn't mind if it were a few degrees warmer, these frigid temps aren't good for our little dogs. Maybe just as few degrees below freezing with a nice Feb. sun...:smile:

Wavewheeler

:lol: That's funny, my friend put that up the other day on Facebook and I posted, "Damn straight I'm happy and I'm STILL singing it!"

Worst part of my childhood was when my parents stopped their annual ski vacation at Okemo and bought a CONDO in Florida so they could play GOLF! Yuck! :thumbdown: Fortunately at 17 they let me stay home by myself and my friends at the time liked to ski. My father bought me my own skis when I was in college so I've pretty been loving it on my own ever since.

I made a point to get my daughter into it so sometimes I have a ski buddy but among my friends I'm the lone skier/winter lover. Their loss, my gain. All they do is bitch and moan 6 months out of the year about the weather and how much they hate it. I don't love heat and humidity but camping, kayaking and hiking at least makes it more enjoyable. :)

My mother in law posted this yesterday on facebook:

View attachment 10913

My answer was, yes I'm very happy now.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Grad student that worked in the same lab as me just defended her thesis and got a post-doc position in Sacramento. Temperate weather year round... and 1.5 hours from Tahoe. That's the winning combo in my opinion.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
And I include myself and all of you in that statement.

This morning I left cold snowy New England for Hawaii. And I was really bummed about it. This is a work trip, not a chosen vacation. 90% of people would love the chance to escape to the tropics in February. But all I could think of was missing out on the best conditions of the season . And it only got worse. My connection was through Utah! People getting off the plane with their ski boots, heading for a half day of Wasatch fluff.

This board is one of the places I could say this and know that people will relate.

Check this out ! 2,500-4,500' Vertical !On my Bucket list.!
Web cam shows some snow!
http://www.skihawaii.com/

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

Grad student that worked in the same lab as me just defended her thesis and got a post-doc position in Sacramento. Temperate weather year round... and 1.5 hours from Tahoe. That's the winning combo in my opinion.

Sacramento gets brutally hot in the summer, but if I needed to live somewhere it doesn't snow, that wouldn't be a bad choice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammer

Sacramento gets brutally hot in the summer, but if I needed to live somewhere it doesn't snow, that wouldn't be a bad choice...

Maybe it's changed since, but I lived there for two years back in the 90s. Couldn't wait to get back to New England.

Does get hot in the summer (lower humidity but 100+ is just plain hot) but the worst part is that the area just seemed vacant. Crime was a bit of an issue as well.

Would have likely been better if we had lived further out from the city in the foothills of the Sierras.

slipshod

I have bikes, boats and a cottage, and all summer to pedal, paddle and puddle around in the water. I see no point in going south and wasting part of the all-too-short ski season.

Savemeasammy

Maybe it's changed since, but I lived there for two years back in the 90s. Couldn't wait to get back to New England.

Does get hot in the summer (lower humidity but 100+ is just plain hot) but the worst part is that the area just seemed vacant. Crime was a bit of an issue as well.

Would have likely been better if we had lived further out from the city in the foothills of the Sierras.

Right. If for some reason I had to live there, I would get as close to the foothills as possible!

jaysunn

Florida really made me appreciate New England. Had a small 25 day :) business trip to palm beach county. Wow. Would not wish that on my worst enemy. It's flat. Flat.

abc

Wow. Would not wish that on my worst enemy. It's flat. Flat.
It's all in the mindset.

It's great for water skiing! (and kayaking, wind surfing, close to good scuba diving too)

Complaining about Fl being flat is no different from complaining about New England have snow.

Wavewheeler

It's all in the mindset.

It's great for water skiing! (and kayaking, wind surfing, close to good scuba diving too)

Complaining about Fl being flat is no different from complaining about New England have snow.

If you like salt water and the beach. I can take it or leave it. I go to the beach cuz it's there but it doesn't do much for me. Florida is a lot like where I live, except that it's hot and humid most of the time and it's flat for hundreds of miles. At least here I can drive a few hour and be in the mountains.

Plus there's other stuff I don't personally like. It has a lot in common with NJ. Probably because when everyone gets old here, that is where they move.;) Not me!

abc

I go to the beach cuz it's there but it doesn't do much for me. Florida is a lot like where I live
No, it's not.

The water is warm enough to enjoy year round, not just 2 months in the summer! So you don't have to find other things to do when you can't go surfing or diving in the winter. In fact, the weather down there is the reverse of up here. What we do here in our summer, like road or off-road biking, down there, it's best done in their winter. In the Florida summer, the ocean is where everyone goes to "cool off"!

I hate to say it, Jersey shore is not Florida. Not to water lovers.

I lived in Florida for 2 years. I enjoyed it while there. I also lived on the far end of Long Island for 2 years. That, I would call "a lot like" Jersey shore. I enjoyed it there too but I'll take the water of Florida any day!

Wavewheeler

That's true..the water is warm in Florida. I like Key West. I can't stand the southern Florida east coast though. My parents used to live in Boca Raton and I used to visit in the winter with my kid when she was a baby. Then she grew up and I take her skiing instead.

I guess it depends on what you like. I'm not a beach person. I don't like salt water at all. If I go in the ocean it's got to be incredibly hot. I never feel good or refreshed after swimming in it. I don't like the sand. I go to the beach because it's close and I can't always get away but want to be outdoors.

I love water..but fresh water as in lakes and rivers. That's where I love to swim and kayak. I love the mountains, not the beach. In a few years I plan to move from here and I don't plan on ever going back.

I say Florida (at least the southern east coast) is like NJ because it's all built up, with shopping centers, divided highways, condos, McMansions, traffic and congestion and some nasty, rude people. I'm sure lots of Florida is nice but not the part I've visited, except for Key West.

But most of all, I like snow. Wouldn't want to live where there aren't 4 seasons and it's flat. To each their own I guess. :)

Twism86

Website
gardenstatetrout.com
All my coworkers complain about the snow, even when work is closed and we can stay home. Mainly because they spend their days shoveling but since I live in apartment I dont worry about that. Just put my skis in the car the night before and ride off!

dlague

And I include myself and all of you in that statement.

This morning I left cold snowy New England for Hawaii. And I was really bummed about it. This is a work trip, not a chosen vacation. 90% of people would love the chance to escape to the tropics in February. But all I could think of was missing out on the best conditions of the season . And it only got worse. My connection was through Utah! People getting off the plane with their ski boots, heading for a half day of Wasatch fluff.

This board is one of the places I could say this and know that people will relate.

My wife has repeatedly tried to get us to go to the tropics during February vacation and my boys have all rejected it! The idea of leaving ski country to them is absurd. They would rather travel out west to a place like Utah.

I have tried to talk her into Hawaii with a hidden agenda