• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice needed: Burke or Cannon for President's Day?

medfordmike

Hi folks,
I have Monday off and I was debating between Burke and Cannon. I have never been to Cannon on a holiday and I have never been to Burke at all. I expect things will be busy anywhere I go but I was wondering if folks thought one would be better than the other as far as crowds?

Thanks,
Mike

VTKilarney

Burke is farther away but will be less crowded. Only one lift to the summit (ever used) makes wind holds a real issue, but Burke is generally better weather. You also have a chance to see the CEO cooking lunches or emptying the trash while people walk awkwardly by.

Cannon will have more diverse terrain and more lifts, although I've never been a huge fan of the tram. Mittersill should be open, if you are a Mad River Glen type fan.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Jokes about Q2 aside, it also depends on what terrain you want to ski. Cannon is, generally, steeper and also has Mittersill (assuming it is in play). Burke is more of an intermediate/low expert "trail skiing" place with good variety, good glades, and no crowds. The drive is about 45 minutes longer each way to Burke and almost all interstate. I (obviously) can't speak to conditions.

Boardguy

My son was up at Burke last weekend and said it was in good shape. With this snow, 12" predicted, both should be great. You could easily do a day each at Cannon and Burke, once you are up there the 45 min. between in not a big deal. I'm heading up to Burke tomorrow night and looing forward to it.

medfordmike

Thanks all for the advice. I will watch the conditions and trip reports and make a drive north on Monday. NEK if it looks like Burke I will send you a message through here. Maybe we could meet up.

Enjoy the snow folks.

dlague

I think Cannon with this new snow will get many visitors this weekend including Monday. I think Burke will be a better bet!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think Cannon with this new snow will get many visitors this weekend including Monday. I think Burke will be a better bet!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yeah I would not be surprised if the I-93 resorts are slammed.

medfordmike

Cannon MT:
Have at it people, still dumping and we're 100% OPEN including Mittersill, DJ's Tramline and Kinsman Glade!

I did Cannon today. So much fun but very windy up top later in the day. Funny thing is that when I checked email during a break I saw your message in my email from Alpine Zone. That is how I knew Mittersill was open! Thanks for heads up it was great over there.

Last edited: