• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Leaving Skis and Boards on the Ground - WTF

Boardguy

I see a lot of "race kids" doing this, they own the mountain right? Maybe they need a grump dad in the group to tell them to put the skis on a rack. In my opinion it goes along with the entitled attitude you see with many privileged "race kids". That attitude is honestly one of the reasons we didn't push our kids towards a race team, that and I'd rather ski with them!

Yeah they do this Burke and it drives me crazy. They block the traverse area from the lower dipper/East Bowl across the front of the lodge going to the new lift with their skis. They are also the ones that get up to the chair and wait for their friends letting empty chairs go by and are always pushing by you in the lift line. No lines for them. The groups have "adult supervision" but they don't seem to impart any knowledge to their young charges. I like the above idea of a noon groom over their skis. Granted they could use some more racks at mid Burke but I doubt they would use them anyway.

Last edited:

Bojangles

I guess I'm lazy sometimes. I only do it if I'm running in for a quick bathroom break or maybe at a mid mountain lodge in the spring when it's dead (think Bullwinkle's at the Loaf). It does get ridiculous if too many people do it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Taken Saturday outside Bullwinkle's at the Loaf. I agree it is completely lazy but if there is the space... What a luxury! Rather than wrestling to disengage your set from the melee. That is why I took the pic, I was so shocked. You Americans should be proud you have the space to indulge in this bit of convenience. The mores of other hills won't tolerate this behaviour so don't fear for the future of the sport.

skiNEwhere

Taken Saturday outside Bullwinkle's at the Loaf. I agree it is completely lazy but if there is the space... What a luxury! Rather than wrestling to disengage your set from the melee. That is why I took the pic, I was so shocked. You Americans should be proud you have the space to indulge in this bit of convenience. The mores of other hills won't tolerate this behaviour so don't fear for the future of the sport.

Huh?

MadMadWorld

taken saturday outside bullwinkle's at the loaf. I agree it is completely lazy but if there is the space... What a luxury! Rather than wrestling to disengage your set from the melee. That is why i took the pic, i was so shocked. You americans should be proud you have the space to indulge in this bit of convenience. The mores of other hills won't tolerate this behaviour so don't fear for the future of the sport.

u-s-a! U-s-a!

Bumpsis

I've seen this sooo many times at Bullwinkle's (on mountain restaurant at Sugarloaf). There is plenty of space on the rack, yet, lazy, thoughtless people will just leave their skis on the ground, making it more difficult for others to access the entrance. Yeah, I "moved" a few skis out of my way with my feet over there.

BenedictGomez

The on the ground thing doesnt bother me by the racks. Saturday at Sugarbush, however, people left skis in front of the map at the top of the lift outside the cafe/lodge, so you couldnt get within 10 feet of the map while on skis to look at the trails = really annoying.

BenedictGomez

The one rack pet peeve I do have, however, is when non skikey users leave their skis on the skikey racks rather than on the non skikey racks that are just 5 or 6 feet from there. In that situation, I have no remorse moving their skis a few feet away so I can lock my skis.

skiNEwhere

The one rack pet peeve I do have, however, is when non skikey users leave their skis on the skikey racks rather than on the non skikey racks that are just 5 or 6 feet from there. In that situation, I have no remorse moving their skis a few feet away so I can lock my skis.

I didn't even know anyone used those or what the official name of that product was called

Jersey Skier

I have only seen one person use one of those, ever. I don't think the majority of skiers have any clue that those locks exist. Ski racks on the other hand are pretty obvious.

Last edited: