• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go on Saturday (3/15)?....

alexcampagna898

With the incredible amounts of snow stretching basically everywhere upwards of MA, i'm planning on skiing in either NH or southern VT on Saturday. I figure the snow will still be reasonable fresh. I haven't yet decided where I want to ski. I know Cannon is getting pounded right now, so that's definitely an option, although I already skied it in Feb, so id like to try something new. Loon's getting hit heavy too, but I figure it'll be a madhouse this weekend (same with bretton woods). Wildcat and attitash are probably too far. I'm strongly considering either Mt. Sunapee, Ragged, Gunstock, or maybe even Crotched in NH, with the front runners being Ragged or Mt. Sunapee (never skied either). I'm also looking at Southern VT. Magic seemed like a great option, but instead of snow, they are currently getting rain, so i'll have to wait and see how that pans out. Stratton is another option, but its expensive. I've never skied any of these mountains, with the exception of Cannon and Gunstock (a very long time ago). Any suggestions? I'm basically open to anything, within a 3hr to 3:15hr drive of Providence, RI.

jimk

A lot of the closer places on your list may get mostly rain. I guess you have to reassess when the storm is over. Will this weekend see big crowds at most places that get good snow? In that case maybe Sugarbush North or if they get snow maybe Ragged might be worth considering??

Savemeasammy

I was working up near Mt. Sunapee today. They got a few inches in the morning, but it rained all afternoon. I will bet that their conditions report will forget to include that! I live a bit north of crotched, and it has only rained/sleeted here. They will be the same. I can speculate that Ragged isn't faring well. It has a low elevation. Cannon is your best bet. Farthest north, and has elevation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Drove up i89 this afternoon it was a combo of sleet and rain all the way to the VT border, where it turned to snow about 10 miles north of White River Jct. It seemed like Kmart was even going to get some wet stuff.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A lot of the closer places on your list may get mostly rain. I guess you have to reassess when the storm is over. Will this weekend see big crowds at most places that get good snow? In that case maybe Sugarbush North or if they get snow maybe Ragged might be worth considering??
Probably, but nothing like mid season. People often forget about March.

abc

Probably, but nothing like mid season. People often forget about March.
Not this year. The season didn't get started till 3 weeks ago. I think more people will be on the hill.

(I'm contemplating the same, debating over Jay vs Burke)

Savemeasammy

Drove up i89 this afternoon it was a combo of sleet and rain all the way to the VT border, where it turned to snow about 10 miles north of White River Jct. It seemed like Kmart was even going to get some wet stuff.

You can't use WRJ as a reference for whether or not it may snow at Killington. Although Killington is nearly due west of the area, WRJ (more specifically the Connecticut River) is at a very low elevation (in the neighborhood of 300 or so feet). I've had more than one occasion where it would be snowing at my previous house (at elevation) in the Sunapee area, but raining in Lebanon/WRJ.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You can't use WRJ as a reference for whether or not it may snow at Killington. Although Killington is nearly due west of the area, WRJ (more specifically the Connecticut River) is at a very low elevation (in the neighborhood of 300 or so feet). I've had more than one occasion where it would be snowing at my previous house (at elevation) in the Sunapee area, but raining in Lebanon/WRJ.

I agree with your generalized comments to my generalized comments. :) I was careful with my use of 'some'. we climbed from 300' at wrj to 600' , max elevation on i89 , about 15 miles into VT. However the wet snow continued for some time. I'll be interested in hearing how moisture laden the snow is there. The temperature gradient was really, really sharp, as evidenced by the snowfall maps. Anyways, the TR's from K indicate all had a great day yesterday, expecting more stellar K reports from today.
hope you get yours!

jimk

Go for it. There's always singles lines. :thumbup: It might be the closest big place to you that got good snow.

ScottySkis

Not this year. The season didn't get started till 3 weeks ago. I think more people will be on the hill.

I guess you didnt hit the Catskjlls in Dec. and Jan we had some great powder dsays. i know i did along with others from here where were you skiing this winter?

dlague

I'm considering Killington now, but I don't know how crowded it gets in weekends

Killington gets pretty busy on Saturdays! My guess is that may people are eager to hit the new snow so people will get out seeing this as the last storm of the season with colder temps. Killington generally does a good job of attracting skier and snowboarders from MA, CT, NY and NJ as well as other places so it will probably be busy, but there are enough lifts to spread people out. The toughest part will be trail junctions and the lodges.

Have fun they seemed to have gotten the goods reporting 24".

jrmagic

3 weeks ago??? Sucks for you. There will be a good crowd but no way like a January or February weekend.

steamboat1

Killington had all snow Wed. & it wasn't the wet heavy type. It was even all snow down in the valley where our ski house is in Pittsford. Driving south down rt. 7 yesterday afternoon the rain snow line seemed to be not to far south of Rutland. It's snowing again at K right now (Sat. afternoon) with a couple of few inches in the forecast.

A friend of mine was just south of me at Okemo Wed. & said it was a mixed bag of rain & snow. I think he was just trying to paint a prettier picture than what it actually was. So much snow accumulated during the day Wed. at Killington that they had groups of employees walking around the parking lot with shovels digging out cars that were snowed in. I was parked by the Snowdon chair & they asked me if I needed to be dug out seeing I had snow above my floorboards. I told them I shouldn't have a problem since I had AWD with a good set of snow tires & sure enough I didn't need any help. One of the employees told me a lot of people didn't have very good tires on their cars/trucks & needed to be dug out.

Last edited: