• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One Quiver or Not to One Quiver

57stevey

I have two skis and bring them both to the hill on every trip. Nordica Top Fuel (78cm, great in crud/FRGR, serviceable in deeper snow) and Rossi S3 (great on soft snow and in tight spaces, serviceable on groomers.) I ski almost exclusively in NH and don't find it much of a bother to lock up pair #1 at the base while skiing on pair #2. Say I'm on a run on the Nordys and see something off to the side I wish to partake of, I go back later on the Rossis and get it. No biggie. (If I were skiing at big sprawling areas, maybe I would feel differently.)

I used to have one ski that was pretty good at everything, but it didn't have any real strengths that helped me with my weaknesses.

jimk

I'm not much of a gear guy. Come from the old school. I had the same one ski quiver for 15 years from 1978-1993. Probably put 400 days on that one set of Dynastar skis.
One way to look at your situation is: which kind of terrain do I need the most help on? If it's bumps, then pick a ski suited to them because you can probably adequately ski groomers on any ski. I used a soft, fairly short, somewhat narrow, and moderate side cut ski last winter that seemed to help my bump skiing; Nordica Burner Evo, 170cms length x 84mm width. It has a little bit of tip rise and is the narrowest in the Hell and Back series mentioned by Puck It. Got it cheap through that online StartHaus blemish sale, which they are doing again this offseason. There was only one day this season that I did not use it and used an older fatter ski because of 12" fresh conditions.

dlague

Ya I am up in the air at this time relative to my next skis! I generally catch a summer deal on last years gear. I may try to pick up an all mountain ski I like and a narrow ski that is softer for some more targeted bump skiing! Then again skiing bumps with skis that are not that suited for them may improve my abilities in the woods!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JDMRoma

Just Scored Some Icelantic Keepers on EBAY yesterday for just over $300.......Boom.

I went with the left over 2013.....at 178cm
150/119/113 Turn Radius 16m

These should be High speed carvers, that can handle everything well......should be ideal for me at Cannon !

Just need to pick out some bindings over the summer !

boston_e

I am pretty much a one ski guy. A pair of K2 Rictors that I think this was my 3rd season on. I didn't happen to hit a big enough powder day the past 2 years to worry about a powder ski.

I love the Rictors though.

Brad J

Hey how does $250 Shipped sound for a pair of 2014 Marker Dukes ?
sounds good, do you really need dukes, I have seen Barrons for $200. AT stuff is just expensive, are you planning on skinning? I have a set up but only average going once a year , not what I was planning.

Brad J

I am pretty much a one ski guy. A pair of K2 Rictors that I think this was my 3rd season on. I didn't happen to hit a big enough powder day the past 2 years to worry about a powder ski.

I love the Rictors though.

Really, you must be kidding, one pair is great if you ski mid winter conditions on groomers, other wise you turn down the fun meter in all other conditions.

JDMRoma

sounds good, do you really need dukes, I have seen Barrons for $200. AT stuff is just expensive, are you planning on skinning? I have a set up but only average going once a year , not what I was planning.

I wanted to have the option of skinning,would have been nice for the end of this season at Cannon !

Cannonball

That's a great price for Dukes. But if you are buying them to get into skinning, you also need to factor in all the other costs. Skins, poles, pack, maybe boots, etc. Also, that's a pretty big ski (heavy) for skinning. Certainly not impossible, but unpleasant.

JDMRoma

That's a great price for Dukes. But if you are buying them to get into skinning, you also need to factor in all the other costs. Skins, poles, pack, maybe boots, etc. Also, that's a pretty big ski (heavy) for skinning. Certainly not impossible, but unpleasant.

I was just thinking about getting prepared for it, just incase !
Figured for $250 if I didn't use them for AT it would be a big deal.
The Dukes will be fine for downhill right ?

skins I would get over the summer, I can use my poles that I have now right ? I do have the telescopic ones too...use them ?
Pack - use what I have now, Osprey day pack....may be large but it will be a good workout :)

Savemeasammy

I was just thinking about getting prepared for it, just incase !
Figured for $250 if I didn't use them for AT it would be a big deal.
The Dukes will be fine for downhill right ?

skins I would get over the summer, I can use my poles that I have now right ? I do have the telescopic ones too...use them ?
Pack - use what I have now, Osprey day pack....may be large but it will be a good workout :)

Worst case scenario: if you don't like to skin with the new skis, you can always put the dukes on something else. IMO, it's better to spend that little extra to get what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowieT2

This. I got a pair of Barron's mounted for 200 last summer. The dukes look cooler but r otherwise overkill.

HowieT2

I like mixing up my runs, woods, groomers, bumps. But I ski with what I like best for what I like to do the most which is woods. I realize I give up some performance on hard pack boilerplate groomers, but i can live with that. Line sfb.

moresnow

Just Scored Some Icelantic Keepers on EBAY yesterday for just over $300.......Boom.

I went with the left over 2013.....at 178cm
150/119/113 Turn Radius 16m

These should be High speed carvers, that can handle everything well......should be ideal for me at Cannon !

Just need to pick out some bindings over the summer !

That's a great ski. Picked it up earlier in the season and got a few days on it. Perfect east coast powder ski. Great in fresh snow. Plows through crud. Bumps and groomers are no problem. Have fun on them.

They do ski really short. I'm 6'3" and about 190 lbs, and bought the 189's. Never wished they were shorter, nor did they ever feel like to much ski.

dlague

That's a great ski. Picked it up earlier in the season and got a few days on it. Perfect east coast powder ski. Great in fresh snow. Plows through crud. Bumps and groomers are no problem. Have fun on them.

They do ski really short. I'm 6'3" and about 190 lbs, and bought the 189's. Never wished they were shorter, nor did they ever feel like to much ski.

At that length, how to they do in the woods? Are they softer at the tips? Also curious with the width, can they be problematic in bumps?

JDMRoma

Thanks for the info, I was going purely by reputation on the ski and the specs seemed to be what I was looking for. I just sold my Rossi Soul 7s.....I felt they were too long for the tree's 188s....everything else was fine. Im 5'11 and hopefully 200 by next season :)
I was originally going for the Gypsy, but thought the full rocker may get squirrel-y at High speeds on the hard pack.The Keepers sound awesome...cant wait to get them !!

dlague

I am finding this site to be useful for comparing gear! Basically I am generating a list of skis that met the criteria I am looking for and comparing them as best I can. This site has helped a lot. Basically, I will be watching closely all summer and when the price is right - score!

2014-Rossignol-Soul-7-vs-2014-K2-Amp-Rictor-90-Xti