• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Next Wknd

xwhaler

Heading up to Loon next Saturday. What does their opening terrain plan usually consist of?

chuckstah

Heading up to Loon next Saturday. What does their opening terrain plan usually consist of?

Opening day last year on 11/8 was top to bottom almost 1700 vert off the gondy with Bear Claw to Lower Picked Rock, as well as a route to the East Basin double. I would expect that and a bit more by Sat.

Cannonball

Chuckstah nailed it, and it was really good last year. It's a lot of quality vert. Too bad they didn't pick up anything today, it would have been a nice addition.
I'm bummed that I'll be out of town next weekend... Enjoy!

WJenness

Loon is on my possible hit list for next weekend... Going to get (at least) a day in somewhere... just a question of where...

-w

xwhaler

Seems so...be nice too if we didnt have to take skis off every run on the Gondola if they had the double open up higher could just lap that.
Will be interested to see what pricing looks like as well with Wildcat offering such a nice option.

bobbutts

I hate that stupid gondola with a passion, and especially on a weekend, I'd skip Loon if it's the only option.

Exodus, Upper Bear Claw, Crosscut, Sunset, Bear Claw Extension, Haulback, Upper Picked Rock, Upper Flying Fox, and Lower Bear Claw.

Based on the snowmaking list, looks like they're thinking about the North Peak quad also though.

xwhaler

I don't want to ski Loon as top choice but going with a buddy who has a Boyne pass and I feel sorta bad asking him to pay out of pocket for early season when his turns are paid for.

4aprice

xwhaler: Any idea what the ticket prices are for this up coming weekend? I'm going to be up in the area and might be tempted to hit up Loon if they aren't bad. Bretton's got that $19 dollar special going and that's my other option.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

xwhaler: Any idea what the ticket prices are for this up coming weekend? I'm going to be up in the area and might be tempted to hit up Loon if they aren't bad. Bretton's got that $19 dollar special going and that's my other option.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Not sure yet but I'm curious as well to see what BW, Loon, and Cat all charge---will keep my eyes open and report if I see anything.

bobbutts

loon.jpg

MadMadWorld

Side note.....was at a wedding with the head of snowmaking. He had just come back from out west where he was awarded Snowmaker of the Year. He doesn't plan to lose his title so I see another successful season for Loon