• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay, Burke, Bretton Woods - your pick for this week

VTKilarney

Which of the three would you recommend? I was hoping to get out for 2 or 3 days. Will any of them be worth it? Or will they all be frozen solid?

603Skier

I would recommend Brett first chair for about 2 hours then you'll find it will get pushed off to the side.
I'm not sure how well Jay or Burke does with snowmaking.

ScottySkis

Jay for snow Burke for lack of crowded I only skiied jay once well didn't ski back in early 90s in vacation of rain the WHOle week so my dad and parent s dad other stuff haven't been back yet. Qqq burke It was rain out so I want home wow just realized those were the only time s I was in the north east kindom and it rain what lucky me I need to Go back

yeggous

This week specifically? Bretton Woods. No question. It has good snowmaking and grooming, and that will be the whole story this week. Burke will be sad, and Jay is disappointing if confined to the groomers.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
For the next few days, until things can get patched up with some snowmaking, the most exciting thing about skiing Burke will probably be counting how many walls the cranes can lift into place by the end of the day.

Edit: Just read your post in the Burke mega thread. Why are you including Burke in your question here if you already know how tough the conditions are there right now.

steamboat1

Jay for snow Burke for lack of crowded I only skiied jay once well didn't ski back in early 90s in vacation of rain the WHOle week so my dad and parent s dad other stuff haven't been back yet. Qqq burke It was rain out so I want home wow just realized those were the only time s I was in the north east kindom and it rain what lucky me I need to Go back
My experience with Jay as well. Four out of the six times I've been there it poured. The other two days were magical.

As to the OP's question I'd think Brett

VTKilarney

Edit: Just read your post in the Burke mega thread. Why are you including Burke in your question here if you already know how tough the conditions are there right now.
Because I wanted to know if the other two options would be any better.

LONGBOARDR

Because I wanted to know if the other two options would be any better.

Jay got hammered pretty good with the rain, I'm sorry translucent snow. Jet, northway and goat are the main trails open with best conditions.
woods would be a death wish
15 degrees here and windy. frozen granular. probably better than Q-Burke but BW just don't know
Conditions changed fast yesterday with traffic and I switched from tele gear to alpine for better control
I heard they are blowing snow on the taxi traverse as it got wiped out by the rain.
We need a big dump of heavy snow

Hope this helps

VTKilarney

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think that I will see who blows the most snow and probably go with that option later in the week.

jack97

I was over at BW on the 26th just to beat the crowds, figure it would be a travel day for most. Majority of the trails are in good shape. They roped off all the glades and the blacks at Mt Rosebrook. I sneaked into the glades at west; most have exposed run off and you had walk over them, trails were firm but the real problem was frozen tracks. As for the blacks at Rosebrook, they looked to be in decent shape but they were probably too firm and slick for the crowds.

They left some trails ungroomed over at west, jacobs ladder and granny's grit, firm mini bumps with frozen tracks, kind of fun but real tiring on the legs.

It won't take much for BW to recover with man made.

dlague

IMO Bretton Woods definitely has the better snow making. However, I think their trails system is very straight up and down, therefore, Jay Peak's trail system seems more interesting to me. However, both have limited terrain open today. For the most part, you are looking at groomers either way since anything in the woods probably has set up and is very hard at this point with no pending snow storms in sight.