• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K or Pico

mishka

I never thought foretasted for yesterday rain will become snow. Killington reporting 16 inches in 2 days.
Pico will reopen Thursday.

2 question here: anybody have info on conditions there? what would be better choice K or Pico?

steamboat1

If the difference in price isn't a concern I'd have to go with K. During the week K is usually pretty quiet. Lots more to explore both on & off trail.

edit: forgot to answer the 1st question.

After reading reports & seeing pictures of skiing today it looks quite good. I'm not there myself but my car is.

Last edited:

canobie#1

If you're going thursday then Pico. Everything's untouched.

If you hit Pico make sure you hit the following:
Outpost: Any trail. They're all great, steep, old school trails.

Summit Poma area- The old poma line, poma woods and Upper Giant killer are some of my favorites

A slope and A-Slope cutt off- Both great, challenging trails with very little traffic through them

Killington:

SOUTH RIDGE. Amazing natural terrain over there.

Canyon Area Flume and Royal Flush are pretty spectacular natural trails as is Catwalk up top.

If Centerpiece and Devil's Fiddle/Den are open, make sure you hit it. Great challenges on all three of those trails.

*******Powerline is a guilty pleasure of mine but look for an opening at the bottom of that trail. The glades in North Ride are short but Spectacular. Keep your eyes pealed.

Crowds:
Not sure if you'll have a problem or not but Needle's Eye Express Quad and Canyon Quad are always the way to go. Never any lines and a quick trip up. The only lines you may see would be at K-1, Skye Peak4 and Ramshead.

bdfreetuna

Same conditions except Pico will have more freshies. K will probably have plenty as well in the woods.

Take your pick based on whichever terrain you prefer. Both mountains should be on point any time in the near future but I give Pico the edge.

bdfreetuna

If you're going thursday then Pico. Everything's untouched.

If you hit Pico make sure you hit the following:
Outpost: Any trail. They're all great, steep, old school trails.

Summit Poma area- The old poma line, poma woods and Upper Giant killer are some of my favorites

A slope and A-Slope cutt off- Both great, challenging trails with very little traffic through them

Killington:

SOUTH RIDGE. Amazing natural terrain over there.

Canyon Area Flume and Royal Flush are pretty spectacular natural trails as is Catwalk up top.

If Centerpiece and Devil's Fiddle/Den are open, make sure you hit it. Great challenges on all three of those trails.

*******Powerline is a guilty pleasure of mine but look for an opening at the bottom of that trail. The glades in North Ride are short but Spectacular. Keep your eyes pealed.

Crowds:
Not sure if you'll have a problem or not but Needle's Eye Express Quad and Canyon Quad are always the way to go. Never any lines and a quick trip up. The only lines you may see would be at K-1, Skye Peak4 and Ramshead.

Based on what you just said, you and I should probably be good buddies. Nice thinking.

edit: Also for Pico definitely hit the 2 glade/woods areas on Outpost because they are both real nice. Also hit the Poma glade which you can get to after the poma line or Upper giant killer, either way. I think you already said that though. Expect awesome moguls on Upper Giant and Summit Glade (or whatever those "glades" are off to the right from the top... they're more like narrow bump runs that repeatedly intersect)

Also the trees just to skiers right of the main trail under the upper lift are some of the steeper ones and worth getting in to. There's also woods to skiers right of Upper Giant Killer. If you like adventure get in there.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Needles chair is usually closed during the week but Skyeship stage II should be running (services pretty much the same area). Unless they've changed their schedule the Canyon chair only runs Mon, Wed, Fri during the week.

mishka

As far cost it will be the same only at pico I need to find someone to split 2for1.

exactly my thought Pico should have more untouched pow
anybody else going?

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

What day?

Probably not though. Trying to think of an area in the snow zone this weekend that has good intermediate and expert/tree terrain off the same lift pods. Bringing my girlfriend and old man so we need a little flexibility. Pico's upper lift doesn't really access terrain that's friendly for aspiring intermediates like my girl... even though my Dad will ski Upper Giant Killer and all the woods with me.

Gonna keep an eye on things but I'm thinking Sugarbush South has the most versatile pods overall. Besides Bolton Valley but I'm saving that for later.

steamboat1

As far cost it will be the same only at pico I need to find someone to split 2for1.

exactly my thought Pico should have more untouched pow
anybody else going?
Why did you ask the question if you already know where you are going?

Why didn't you just ask if anyone wants to split a 2fer?

I hear high winds Thurs.

Summit chair will probably be on wind hold.

mishka

I asked the question because wasn't sure what the best option.
I don't know. Never thought about it at first