• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How far would you drive solo to ski/board?

legalskier

In planning a solo trip do you consider the distance your S.O. would have to drive to come and get you if something, God forbid, should go wrong? We all expect everything will go well but do you ever get that nagging thought in the back of the mind that restrains your wanderlust?
If so, what's your limit? How far is too far?

080%20Mt%20Mansfield%20-%20Stowe%20Ski%20Area%20from%20Cabot%20Cabin.jpg

gmcunni

until this year i'd do several day trips solo 3 hours each way. i've done 4 each way in the past for special circumstances.

my wife coming to get me never factors in.

skiNEwhere

I say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. 4 hours is my limit, although if it's a major pow day, that could turn into 6 hours which I'd have to account for

Savemeasammy

I have plenty of options within 3 hours, so that's usually it. I might drive 4 if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darent

my wife would tell me to catch a bus!! so drive time is not important.4 hours is my minimum drive time to reach a ski area

boston_e

Back in the day, 3 hours was what I considered my day trip cutoff, but I haven't done a day trip in ages.

abc

Never consider the "rescue distance" factor!!!

Not having a "SO" may have something to do with it. But when something DID go wrong once, I got home with the help of strangers who later became my best buddies! :)

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
In planning a solo trip do you consider the distance your S.O. would have to drive to come and get you if something, God forbid, should go wrong? We all expect everything will go well but do you ever get that nagging ....

Went to Tucks alone for my first time, was scheduled to go with a group drive up Friday ski Saturday-Sunday , the weather looked like it was going to be bad on Saturday so I drove 9 hrs up alone Thursday and Skied Friday , Got there 7AM ,I must have looked funny looking for the trail head for 15min wandering around till I found it. Hiked up with a photographer who just hikes , and some other guy from Maine, Didn't wander too far from people (just in case)Bluebird 40f and 5mph summit wind. Almost made it to the summit but decided to save some energy for Saturday incase the weather wasn't as bad as predicted . It was ,Icy ,I went up too far in the bowl and found out after losing a ski what the back of my helmet was for.

As far as the SO goes I never have to guess what's on her mind , She lets me know.

gladerider

4.5 hours one way to the K. never thought about getting picked up.

marebear

3 hours max so far,but planning a run up to K to meet friends and will go solo, no problem. About a 6 hour drive for me.A few years back,on St, Patrick's day, I caught a heelside edge on my board,flipped backwards and landed square on my shoulder. Heard a crack and sudden intense pain,but after a few moments,seemed ok. Drove myself home and after a few days of pain,(and denial), I got an xray..fractured shoulder. I always just think,if it was worse,somebody would have to make the trip to haul me home.

HowieT2

Ironically, I drove up to sb by myself this weekend and thought about the rescue issue after slamming my back into a tree. Made it home ok, but I had some doubt.

BenedictGomez

Longest I've done is just under 3 hours (Plattekill).

I'd never think about the "what if" and logistics of getting badly hurt. Terrible mindset with which to live one's life. My 2¢.

bdfreetuna

Longest I'll do for a day trip... Rarely! is Jay Peak. That's about 3:30h from me in ideal conditions. Last solo trip was a few years ago.

Solo trip to MRG is about 2:40h and that's been a great time in the past but I've crossed MRG off my list for weekends due to insanely long lift lines I've experienced there. So basically I go there every few years now.

My most frequent solo trip destinations are #1 Killington at 2h30 and Magic at 1h30.

I don't really mind long drives. I'd take more solo trips to northern Vermont except it's hard for me to get out of bed incredibly early.

As for getting hurt or whatnot, that's never really part of the plan. I'm more concerned about flat tires or car accidents usually.

legalskier

I'm more concerned about flat tires or car accidents usually.

Last month I was driving up the Thruway when my car went low on brake fluid. It was very early but I found a shop that had some- I added it in 30 mph winds with the temp reading 4 degrees. Then the hood wouldn't latch right so I had to bungee it. I did get to where I was going but I was glad I didn't have to make The Call.

bdfreetuna

You got lucky.

Almost 3 years ago I was driving my girlfriend on our second date to Jiminy Peak, her first ski lesson. (I waste no time lol)

About 5 minutes before we get to the access road, my 1998 Subaru Forester loses it's heat. By the time I figured out something was really wrong I turned just into the access road and the car died. The temp guage was spiked. I didn't want to be stuck there so I waited for it to cool down and drove it to Jiminy Peak's parking lot, with the temp guage almost spiked, coasting down the hill in neutral... parked it in the lot and that's where the car was towed from later that day.

Blown head gaskets on an old car with 250,000 miles. So I got a new Subaru after that.

Not trying to have that happen again any time soon!