• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Resort Improvements 2015

catsup948

I like mountains where they glance as you get on or don't bother at all! Not that I'm trying to sneak on but I don't like waiting for anything or anyone when I ski.

mbedle

That's quite a sizable investment for a place with 20 lifts.

What is the point of this RFID phenomenon anyway. I've been through the process at Jiminy Peak and Stowe, with that said I probably have 7-10 days on RFID technology.

1. It's a sizable investment

Can't argue with that. Not sure if resorts buy these units outright or lease them.

2. Same labor costs at the lift (the two ticket checkers are now gatekeepers)

Not sure about this - Typically only one person is present with a computer to check scanning and correct any issues.

3. Costs money to train staff

Not sure how much training is really required for this. But, yes, it will costs some money to train staff.

4. Still need people at the ticket windows.

Yes, but significantly less people. Once a RFID pass is purchased, it can be used over and over. Most resort set up either auto-reloading or at least purchase the ticket online without having to go to the ticket window.

5. Same amount of waste.

Not sure about that, would have to guess it would result in a lot less waste, since the cards are reusable.

6. Doesn't benefit the skier, except that they now have to keep track of this minuscule card to save $5 on the next lift ticket

It does benefit skiers, not having to wait in a line to purchase a lift ticket every morning is pretty nice. Plus, resorts typically offer a very significant discount for using the reloading option on the pass.

7. It craps out 1 out of every 15 times (for me anyways).

I've been using these at my local resort and Stowe for years and can't really remember having any issues with my pass. Putting the pass in a upper right breast pocket with nothing else seems to be the best option.

8. The gates are ugly and stupid. Someone else compared it to going on a ride, I'm reminded more of going through a tollbooth.

True - they are pretty ugly. But if it saves me money, I really don't care. Pretty much the same thing as EZ-pass.

Tin

They seem pretty easy to abuse (maybe easier than a singles line). I've seen people at Crotched, Sugarbush, and Stratton be busted by staff scanning tickets for using someone else's season pass.

steamboat1

They seem pretty easy to abuse (maybe easier than a singles line). I've seen people at Crotched, Sugarbush, and Stratton be busted by staff scanning tickets for using someone else's season pass.
That screen that the ticket checker is looking at with a RFID system shows your picture as you go through the gate.

danimals

Blue mountain in the Poconos uses RFID and I've never seen anything become an issue. I saw it go down once and they just assumed everyone was legit. Before they implemented the RFID at the lifts, they treated the mountain like an amusement park, which i liked better. They had two large entrance gates outside of their lodges and would scan peoples tickets as they entered the mountain. This meant no ticket checks as lifts as if you were on the hill, you were already scanned.

spiderpig

Blue mountain in the Poconos uses RFID and I've never seen anything become an issue. I saw it go down once and they just assumed everyone was legit. Before they implemented the RFID at the lifts, they treated the mountain like an amusement park, which i liked better. They had two large entrance gates outside of their lodges and would scan peoples tickets as they entered the mountain. This meant no ticket checks as lifts as if you were on the hill, you were already scanned.
I liked that, and it worked well for a small, contained mountain, but that is much more easily abused if you have more than two people in your group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

mbedle

That worked good when you had day, half day and night passes. Blue wanted to move to free 4, 6 and 8 hour blocks, so scanning at entrances doesn't work anymore. I can't remember if back when they had the gates if they still had scanners at the lift to check for half day passes or was it a different color. Do you remember what they use to do?

skiur

CAPITAL INVESTMENT AT KILLINGTON RESORT AND PICO MOUNTAIN EXCEEDS $6.5 MILLION THIS YEAR
Improvements to lifts and snowmaking improve reliability and sustainability across resorts

KILLINGTON, Vt. (August 20, 2015) – Vermont’s Killington Resort, the largest ski and snowboard destination in Eastern North America, continues to invest in capital improvements, adding year-round attractions, expanding its mountain bike trail network, and upgrading lifts and snowmaking systems for the upcoming 2015-16 winter season. Since Powdr Resorts purchased Killington Resort and Pico Mountain in 2007, infrastructure improvements have exceeded $40 million, including lifts, lift drives, snowmaking systems and Killington’s signature Peak Lodge.

“We had a tremendous winter with snowmaking production to match, and remained open for skiing and riding through Memorial Day, once again owning the longest season in the East. Building on that energy, we added the Snowshed Adventure Center with ten attractions and a host of new mountain bike trails. Already our summer business has increased 100% compared to last summer,” stated Mike Solimano, president and general manager for Killington Resort and Pico Mountain. “We invested significantly in the Beast Mountain Coaster and other attractions for this summer, and will operate many year-round, adding depth to what was already the best winter destination experience available in the East.”

Killington continues to invest in infrastructure and guest-experience projects, including efforts to increase the reliability of the most expansive lift network in the East. This year’s capital improvement budget includes investment at the new Snowshed Adventure Center in excess of $3.5 million, and lift and snowmaking improvements exceeding $1 million.

In addition to the significant investment in projects to improve guest experience, Killington recently signed a 20-year purchase agreement with Namaste Solar to receive 3 MW of power from six new 500 kW solar arrays constructed in Vermont. Building on the resort’s commitment to sustainability and being the greenest resort in Vermont, the 4,700 MWh’s of new solar generated electricity will cover all energy needs required to pump water to snow guns on ski trails at both Killington and Pico.

Another large-scale project underway at Killington is a $750,000 reimagining of the Ovations restaurant at the Killington Grand Resort Hotel. New plans call for remodel of the restaurant, creating the premier destination for après ski dining and drinking in the Killington region.

This summer, Killington Resort formally kicked off a five-year mountain bike park expansion, directing over $175,000 to trail building efforts, with many new trails already open for riders. Killington’s mountain bike park initiative is in partnership with Gravity Logic, the Whistler, British Columbia-based mountain bike trail design experts. Gravity Logic is working with the resort to transform Killington’s mountain bike offerings to include more beginner and intermediate-friendly terrain while continuing to add more flow and freeride trails for experts.
New mountain bike trails are also being integrated seamlessly with the new Beast Mountain Coaster, with six trails passing under and over the coaster on bridges built from recycled steel from the original Killington Gondola’s Skye Peak terminal.

Over $600,000 has been earmarked for installing new electronic lift drive systems on the K-1 Express and Skyeship Express Gondolas, plus communications lines, new haul ropes, component upgrades, and improvements at load and unload terminals for a number of lifts across Killington and Pico resorts.

Another $600,000 is allocated to mountain improvements directly improving visitor experience including ski trail edging and widening, new ticket scanners, paving projects and a new park-specific grooming machine. Winter visitors will also feel the positive effects of snowmaking improvements including the replacement of key artery water pipelines to Killington Peak and Pico Peak, plus the rebuilding of hydrants, water pumps and additional new snowmaking hose.

Snowmaking infrastructure has been redesigned and relocated on the lower section of Superstar trail. This investment will enhance snow production on the signature trail by utilizing fans guns to make snow faster and more efficiently. This snowmaking improvement will impact the guest experience through the final day of the spring ski season with better snow coverage and depth.

In partnership with Killington Mountain School, over $600,000 is being invested to further improve the race and training venues at the resort. A new mid-station unload for the Snowdon Triple lift, and a permanent bag jump venue on lower Superstar will be constructed, setting the stage for future competitions and training programs. The bag jump will feature a full ramp and will be used year-round, creating a much more extensive jump site than existed before, capable of hosting summer jump camps, bringing additional energy to the resort.

“Our mountain crews have been very busy this summer with the extensive investment in both summer and winter improvements at the resort,” stated Jeff Temple, director of mountain operations and facilities maintenance for Killington Resort and Pico Mountain. “With construction completed in record time for the highly successful Beast Mountain Coaster, new gravity-fed mountain bike trails and other summer activities, our focus now is on the many lift and snowmaking upgrades.”

“During the 2014-15 ski season, skier visits were up 9% over the 2013-14 season, and that helped drive significant growth in lodging, retail and food and beverage,” said Rob Megnin, director of sales and marketing at Killington Resort and Pico Mountain. “Summer business has been growing rapidly as well, and we plan to carry that momentum into this winter.”

Killington Resort continues to focus on improving the overall on-mountain guest experience by providing unparalleled access to the most extensive trail network in the northeast. During winter 2015-16, Killington skiers and riders will enjoy over 200 trails and nearly 2,000 acres of skiable terrain on one ticket, plus access to 20 other resorts across the country with the M.A.X. Pass add-on. The best prices on Killington and Pico Season Passes are available through October 15, 2015.
Weather permitting, Killington snowmaking will resume in mid-October, once again setting the stage for the longest season in the East.
###

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Only place I've skied where it's a main gate is Thunder Ridge. It's kinda funny, it is an actual tollbooth.

machski

I think the biggest public mountain improvement this year in the East is going on at Sugar Mountain in NC. A new Six Pack and realignment of the former summit lifts to new segments of the mountain. At least someone is spending big bucks somewhere in the East ;)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think the biggest public mountain improvement this year in the East is going on at Sugar Mountain in NC. A new Six Pack and realignment of the former summit lifts to new segments of the mountain. At least someone is spending big bucks somewhere in the East ;)

Looking at the trail map, there are...

Two diamonds, one double diamond, and one intermediate trail from the summit. In the word's of Herbert Morrison... "Oh the humanity!"

This is their trail map: slopes.jpg

Quietman

Mt Abram is adding 6 new trails this fall, a few are major ones. This will be an amazing amount of terain all serviced by a 45 year old double. Trail one is to be a dedicated race trail. This is from an email that I received today. I love this place!!

Mt abram3.JPG

deadheadskier

Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Trail One eliminate a few glades?

Wonder why they need a new racing trail. Isn't Boris Badanov sufficient?

Hope trail six is constructed well. There's a nice pitch in parts of that area. A nice narrow trail taking advantage of the double fall line would be fun.

Domeskier

Looking at the trail map, there are...

Two diamonds, one double diamond, and one intermediate trail from the summit. In the word's of Herbert Morrison... "Oh the humanity!"

This is their trail map: View attachment 17372

Not to fear - I believe those three yellow circles on the main lift before the summit are all "mid-stations."

JAM614

Awesome! Mt. Abram is a great mid-sized mountain!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone