• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton 12/19/15

KustyTheKlown

last night i enjoyed some christmas drinks with roommates in my apartment, and turned in to bed around 9 PM with a 3:30 AM alarm. here is some of the quiver by the christmas tree

IMG_2236.jpg

woke at 3:30 and was on the road at 4:15. took 87 to 7. after crossing the vermont state line, there was a trace of snow on the road. by the time i was 15-20 miles south of manchester, it was snowing at a good clip with treacherous driving conditions.

pulled into stratton at 8:45 and was on the lift at 9. there was a solid 4" in the parking lot and it was still snowing. stratton report as of ~7 AM said 3". guns blazing all over.

zero lines all day on ursa. three routes down from ursa, black bear, polar bear, and fall line. ungroomed sides of the trails had legitimate powder skiing. you had to be careful for hidden rocks and stumps and the like, but i repeat, legitimate powder skiing. not what i was expecting at all. very pleasantly surprised.

tamarack, north american, and grizzly bear may be in play tomorrow. lots of snowmaking going on. hats off to stratton for getting the place into such good shape.

skied about 18 runs from 9:00 AM to 1:45 PM, ~25k vertical. legs turned to jello and i got in the car.

back to brooklyn by 7 PM.

a great success and i'm glad i went and lucked out with snow

some more pics:
IMG_2237.jpg
IMG_2238.jpg
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg

edited to add: not sure how to flip those pictures.

steamboat1

Sounds good, glad it worked out for you. Me I never left Bklyn today. Heading up early Mon. morning.

edit: Give you credit since Stratton is out of my day trip range from Bklyn.

Last edited:

mriceyman

U def got lucky! Way to get it

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

KustyTheKlown

Sounds good, glad it worked out for you. Me I never left Bklyn today. Heading up early Mon. morning.

edit: Give you credit since Stratton is out of my day trip range from Bklyn.

i daytrip to killington, and have day tripped to stowe. i dont mind the driving. my neck hurts every time tho by the end of the day.

steamboat1

i daytrip to killington, and have day tripped to stowe. i dont mind the driving. my neck hurts every time tho by the end of the day.

Those days are behind me. I did a day trip to K once & Bromley once many moons ago. Besides lodging for me is cheap enough in VT. Planning on spending two nights & skiing 3 days up there this week

KustyTheKlown

yea for sure. once it gets good i spend the weekend. but for now, i don't need to spend money on a hotel or airbnb to ski that same terrain 2 days in a row. and its nice to be home with my own bed and chinese food on the way

Tin

Good stuff and giving the rest of us hope! Amazing what just a few inches can do (That's what she said!).

steamboat1

yea for sure. once it gets good i spend the weekend. but for now, i don't need to spend money on a hotel or airbnb to ski that same terrain 2 days in a row. and its nice to be home with my own bed and chinese food on the way

It's only $26 a night so no biggie & I know of at least 5 Chinese places in Rutland.:-D

watkin

Krusty,

We shared a chair on sat and I have to agree w everything you posted. Such a nice surprise waking up at 330 am to see the lake effect snow on the radar reaching all the way to southern vt. I had planned on hitting Okemo that day simply because of their trail count, but thanks to the flexibility of the SKIVT passes, plans were changed last minute.

Northbound on rt 7 outside of manchester the white out started and the rest is history.

Have a great trip to Utah man!

Lata

KustyTheKlown

Krusty,

We shared a chair on sat and I have to agree w everything you posted. Such a nice surprise waking up at 330 am to see the lake effect snow on the radar reaching all the way to southern vt. I had planned on hitting Okemo that day simply because of their trail count, but thanks to the flexibility of the SKIVT passes, plans were changed last minute.

Northbound on rt 7 outside of manchester the white out started and the rest is history.

Have a great trip to Utah man!

Lata

sweet, i remember our conversation about the localized snow. nice meeting you. can't wait for thursday. its pounding out there now. more of a sierra cement than a champagne powder this week, but it will be huge for filling in the gaps and solidifying their base. really glad i got one "powder" day in before utah. my quads and hamstrings were already woken up from my killington groomer days, but my calves are burning something fierce from playing in pow.