• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Mountain Sunday 1/24/16

Whitey

Date skied: Sundayday 1/24/16
Conditions: Machine made packed powder
Trip report:
There was no way I was going to miss the Pat’s game on Sunday. But I also wanted to go skiing at some point this weekend. Crotched it is! Got there in 1:10 from north of Boston, not bad. Left at 7:10 and were in the lodge and booting up by 8:30. In addition to the proximity, I had three 12 yr old boys with me and with my Ride & Ski cards I got us all on the mountain for $32/lift ticket. Not a bad price for a “peak day” Sunday.

Conditions were about what we expected. They have made a decent amount of snow and groomed it out. Corduroy, not many icy parts, no trees or glades in play. What really made the day was the weather/sunshine. Low 30’s, not a cloud in the sky, no wind at all. You can see it in the pics. All of the snows making wales were groomed out.

In the AM, the kids lapped the terrain park and I just lapped the rest of the mountain. Crotched is a small mountain but I skied each run non-stop to the lift and got a decent amount of vertical in that way. It was mostly ski on the lift or close to it all day. ROTD was probably Satellite to Retro, down Pluto’s and then crossing over onto Equinox. If you followed that route not only was it decent snow and pitch, but you could also “fall away from the sun” the whole way. Sun on your back and lighting the trail ahead of you the whole way down.

We left at about 2 PM and were in front of the TV watching the Pats game by about 3:30. I should have stayed and skied some more.

Not a bad parking spot for a Sunday in January:
parking.jpg

Satellite:
Satellite.jpg

Pluto's:
Pluto's.jpg

Retro:
Retro.jpg

This was the biggest lift line all day:
Lift Line.jpg

Whitey

One more pic: Final Frontier glade from the chair lift. Not ready yet but a little bit of natural snow should change that:Final Frontier.jpg

Also, if any of you remember my last post from Crotched, last year, you'll remember that it ended after 2 runs when one of the boys smashed his teeth/face on a rail in the terrain park and ended up at the doctor's/dentist's.

Here is that same kid this year. 1st trip back to CM after eating a rail. Those busted teeth & chin are really holding him back, eh? I miss the days when I could do stuff like that and not worry about breaking every bone in my body. Youth is wasted on the young. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wEpcanMZJM&feature=youtu.be

Whitey

Did I hear in that video, "Get out of the way" followed by "something, F$%^ You!" :lol:

Yes, that was my youngest son who wasn't happy about his best friend dropping in front of him for the jump. We had a little talk about "appropriate language" for a 12 yr old on the ride home.

He must have learned that language from his mom. . .

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Both Quietman and I will affirm, that there were at least 3 glades that were quite skiable. Mountain policy has been that glades are always open - snow or not, at skiers' peril.

Whitey

Both Quietman and I will affirm, that there were at least 3 glades that were quite skiable. Mountain policy has been that glades are always open - snow or not, at skiers' peril.

I've got brand new skis and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I've skied CM's glades when they don't have a lot of snow and it's not something I'd thrash my bases for. If we were at Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Jay, etc and there were the same kind of conditions then I would gone into it and just taken my chances with dinging up the bases of the new sticks. But not for a CM glade.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes, that was my youngest son who wasn't happy about his best friend dropping in front of him for the jump. We had a little talk about "appropriate language" for a 12 yr old on the ride home.

He must have learned that language from his mom. . .

:lol:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I've got brand new skis and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I've skied CM's glades when they don't have a lot of snow and it's not something I'd thrash my bases for. If we were at Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Jay, etc and there were the same kind of conditions then I would gone into it and just taken my chances with dinging up the bases of the new sticks. But not for a CM glade.
I always carry a couple of pairs of skis and test out the glades before I'll take a good pair into them. I guess the question is: Were you bored with what there was? - and if the answer is no, you probably didn't need the glades to spice up the day.

Whitey

I always carry a couple of pairs of skis and test out the glades before I'll take a good pair into them. I guess the question is: Were you bored with what there was? - and if the answer is no, you probably didn't need the glades to spice up the day.

"Bored", no. I really had no expectations of skiing trees/glades there so it didn't bother me. I also had 3 young kids with me. So I was messing around with them and just skiing fast and working on technique. It was all really about where I set my expectations for the day.

But I am also usually a "ski to the last chair" kind of person. When we pulled the plug at 2PM, I really wasn't thinking "I wish I could have skied more". I was ready to go.

Maybe I was wrong, I looked into some of the glades and it just didn't look all that good to me. Sorry if that steps on your marketing for CM, but that was my impression. Would I have liked to "spice up" my day with some glades - of course. But I've scratched and stumbled my way thru low snow/icy glades before and it's not something I'd pick over skiing a steep groomer.

MadMadWorld

Yea my first experience at Crotched was 2 weeks ago. I was staying with family and only intended to ski with my little one on the magic carpet. Here is my biggest issue:

How the hell do you not have a novice lift ticket? I get they don't have a beginner lift but why would I bring a child there who is only going to last an hour or two on the magic carpet?

I ended up just sneaking her on for a few runs but she wasn't feeling well so we called it a day. My brother had bought a lift ticket so I thought I would borrow his jacket and ski a few runs. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the offering. They really need to groom everything? I can see the appeal to anyone that lives close by but it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe my opinion was clouded by the lift ticket problem.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Yea my first experience at Crotched was 2 weeks ago. I was staying with family and only intended to ski with my little one on the magic carpet. Here is my biggest issue:

How the hell do you not have a novice lift ticket? I get they don't have a beginner lift but why would I bring a child there who is only going to last an hour or two on the magic carpet?

I ended up just sneaking her on for a few runs but she wasn't feeling well so we called it a day. My brother had bought a lift ticket so I thought I would borrow his jacket and ski a few runs. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the offering. They really need to groom everything? I can see the appeal to anyone that lives close by but it didn't live up to the hype. Maybe my opinion was clouded by the lift ticket problem.

Never seen anybody check for a lift ticket on the carpet but regardless: children under 5 are free with a paying adult.

You said, "They really need to groom everything?" The statement is ambiguous, but I'm guessing you are asking why they groomed everything. When you're dealing with Fr.Gr. and generally nasty ungroomed surfaces, they really don't have much choice. If you are saying they didn't groom enough, you must have been there the day after the monsoon.

Regardless, I hope you'll come back and give it another try. Your negative comments are unusual in my experience. Check you PMs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Having skied Crotched quite a bit in recent years, the criticism that they groom way too much is justified IMO. I'd like to see a mountain ops policy where skiers left of UFO/Equinox and Jupiter's Storm are left ungroomed all season. When conditions get crappy, turn the guns on and let skier traffic form some bumps.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Having skied Crotched quite a bit in recent years, the criticism that they groom way too much is justified IMO. I'd like to see a mountain ops policy where skiers left of UFO/Equinox and Jupiter's Storm are left ungroomed all season. When conditions get crappy, turn the guns on and let skier traffic form some bumps.
They did that for a couple of seasons and then decided to not let Jupiter bump up. It seems to be a year-to-year management decision.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I enjoy Crotcheds trees, great snowmaking, the HSQ and lack of crowds, but there's only so many high speed carving runs I can do down Plutos before I want something ungroomed to ski.

I recognize I'm not their target market

Quietman

I've got brand new skis and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I've skied CM's glades when they don't have a lot of snow and it's not something I'd thrash my bases for.

Actually, now is a relatively safe time in the less steep glades at the Crotch. Most of the rocks have already been hit and are visible. I would not ski them after 3" of pow at this point, it would only hide the rocks. Of course, 2' of new pow would be nice!!! I did 10+ glade runs on Sunday, and only got some light scratches. 4 of those runs were down Dark Star, I did not try West Ledges, cause I do care about my skis!!

Last edited:

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Actually, now is a relatively safe time in the less steep glades at the Crotch. Most of the rocks have already been hit and are visible. I would not ski them after 3" of pow at this point, it would only hide the rocks. Of course, 2' of new pow would be nice!!! I did 10+ glade runs on Sunday, and only got some light scratches. 4 of those runs were down Dark Star, I did not try West Ledges, cause I do care about my skis!!
quietman is more adventurous than I am. I took Dark Star, Enchanted Forest and Hellyuns (off the west ledge entrance) once each to know that I didn't want to do them a second time. The less steep glades are all quite nice, but I still wouldn't take my best pair of skis into them. (I'm using 4 different pairs of skis this season. Third is my "good rock skis", 4th is my "bad rock skis". Using pair #3 on the less steep glades.)

Whitey

While I agree with you I also think you are being too hard on the mountain ops. I've seen them leave UFO/Equinox alone & bumped and I've skied the bumps under the lift on Pluto's many times. I think that this year with the awful rain/thaw we had they've only been able to make snow for the last couple of weeks. Man made snow doesn't set up as well as bumps because they have to groom out the wales or else they just end up with a bunch of mounds all the way down the slope. But once they smooth it out, it sets up hard and it doesn't naturally form into bumps when people ski it. I am just not sure they have any other options with the way this year has played out. Seeding would be an option but I don't think they have the equipment.

That's the long version, the short is that I think they would if they could but this season hasn't allowed it yet.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They can seed moguls like Sunapee, Sundown and numerous other areas do that lack consistent natural snowfall. Or they can run the guns and let people ski some bumps in like Pats peak does with Hurricane. There are options, even during crappy winters like this one. I've skied what you discuss as well, I'm just saying they are at the back of the pack for Southern NH areas in regards to offering ungroomed terrain.

It's fine as I have a Granite pass and can head up to Wildcat for more entertaining skiing. However, if Crotched did offer a decent bump field under the lights, I'd be inclined to head there several nights a season, which would mean spending money in their restaurant. I know others who would do the same.

MadMadWorld

They can seed moguls like Sunapee, Sundown and numerous other areas do that lack consistent natural snowfall. Or they can run the guns and let people ski some bumps in like Pats peak does with Hurricane. There are options, even during crappy winters like this one. I've skied what you discuss as well, I'm just saying they are at the back of the pack for Southern NH areas in regards to offering ungroomed terrain.

It's fine as I have a Granite pass and can head up to Wildcat for more entertaining skiing. However, if Crotched did offer a decent bump field under the lights, I'd be inclined to head there several nights a season, which would mean spending money in their restaurant. I know others who would do the same.

It's all about options. Bump skiers don't care whether it's the whole trail or just half but give us some! Skiing at high speeds on groomers really does nothing for me personally.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I enjoy high speed carving, but it has to be on character trails with good vertical or it gets boring real fast.

And yes, you're right on bump offerings. Just give me one half a trail that's left ungroomed and sees a bit of snowmaking when icy and I'm happy. Growing up skiing Okemo, that's what they did with Sels Choice. From about 85-94 it's really the only bump run they had and it was always decent.

To have at least one decent bump run should be a priority for all areas in the same manner it is to offer a terrain park.

Moguls = terrain park for old dudes. :lol: