• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bluetooth Speakers on the hill

Glenn

So you want to listen to tunes while you ski/ride? I'm fine with that. Yeah, it's a little annoying when someone is doing their best to increase the onset of hearing loss by blasting the tunes through their earbuds on the lift. But what's the deal with people skiing with Bluetooth speakers in a backpack and sharing their tunes with everyone in a 100' radius?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Same mentality as autos with massive speakers in the trunk blasting at neighborhood shaking decibels? i.e "look at me"

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I use earbuds in my helmet. I've turned on my music, put my helmet down, and made sure that it wasn't audible within a few feet of my helmet. I keep my music off when I'm on the lift, in the liftline, or on terrain with a lot of people. I keep the volume at a level where I can hear anyone coming up behind me.

I've never had any issues. Never been hit while skiing.

cdskier

The speakers are very annoying and I've heard several people with them. I don't have a problem with people wanting to listen to music, but I don't need to hear it myself.

Los

Yeah, it's a little annoying when someone is doing their best to increase the onset of hearing loss by blasting the tunes through their earbuds on the lift.

I'm curious what you mean by this... You find it annoying when people have their earbuds in on the lift? How come?

I'm not challenging you, I'm just wondering because I will do that sometimes. I'll usually take one earbud out when I get on the lift in case the person I'm riding up with wants to strike up a conversation. If silence prevails, I'll pop the earbud back in...

But if that's annoying to people, that would be good to know....

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm curious what you mean by this... You find it annoying when people have their earbuds in on the lift? How come?

People can hear the music even with earbuds in. And if they can't then the earbuds you're using are too far in the ear, meaning you won't be able to hear people when you're going down the hill. My earbuds stay in my helmet, they don't go in my ear. This way I still hear things when I'm going down.

Robbski

I'm not challenging you, I'm just wondering because I will do that sometimes. I'll usually take one earbud out when I get on the lift in case the person I'm riding up with wants to strike up a conversation. If silence prevails, I'll pop the earbud back in...

But if that's annoying to people, that would be good to know....

I have no no issue with earbuds though. I don't use them on the mountain because I don't want any surprises and my hearing ain't what it used to be.

Speakers are another matter though. I know I listen to tunes that others don't want to hear and many sure as hell listen to stuff I don't like. If we all blast music at the same time it will by as cacophonous as a presidential debate.

drjeff

those are the cool kids on the mountain

I've seen and experienced far more "cool kids" IN THEIR 30's than I have in their teen years, using the bluetooth speakers for all to hear (and that comes from someone who typically takes a few runs a day through the Carinthia section of Mount Snow where a large percentage of the folks using that part of the mountain are school age (middle school through college age) )

Just because someone thinks one type of music is great, doesn't mean that everyone thinks it great - this concept is lost a some folks, especially in liftline queues!

Los

People can hear the music even with earbuds in. And if they can't then the earbuds you're using are too far in the ear, meaning you won't be able to hear people when you're going down the hill. My earbuds stay in my helmet, they don't go in my ear. This way I still hear things when I'm going down.

Ah, I see... so my tunes may be audible even though I'm using earbuds. I can see why that would be annoying.

Robbski - I understand the OP was asking about speakers. But I was responding to a statement ss20 made about earbuds.

hammer

I'm less concerned about what people are listening to and more concerned that they have the volume up too high to be aware of their surroundings...

Robbski

Ah, I see... so my tunes may be audible even though I'm using earbuds. I can see why that would be annoying.

Robbski - I understand the OP was asking about speakers. But I was responding to a statement ss20 made about earbuds.

sorry reading comp failure.

BenedictGomez

what's the deal with people skiing with Bluetooth speakers in a backpack and sharing their tunes with everyone in a 100' radius?

Hah! I didn't even know that was a thing.

Being attached to electronics is the LAST THING I want on the slopes, so I didn't know this was going on. I also think it's less safe skiing while listening to music, but we've had that discussion here a bunch.

Same mentality as autos with massive speakers in the trunk blasting at neighborhood shaking decibels? i.e "look at me"

Yup. This is a huge problem in society in general now. Me, me, me, me, me.

I'm sorry your parents didn't pay much attention to you, but stop bothering others.

jaybird

Hah! I didn't even know that was a thing.

Yup. This is a huge problem in society in general now. Me, me, me, me, me.

I'm sorry your parents didn't pay much attention to you, but stop bothering others.

Gomes, you appear to know nothing about everything.

You bothering yourself with me, me, me ... that's your problem, not society's.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
Riding Bonnie @ JP this AM. One of those "look at me" types, blasting some sort of noise rode under my chair just as a phone was ringing on the chair ahead. Blows. So much for serenity of mountains.

jaybird

Darn Canadiens ;)

You want 'serenity now', call Mr Costanza.

Jully

Being attached to electronics is the LAST THING I want on the slopes, so I didn't know this was going on. I also think it's less safe skiing while listening to music, but we've had that discussion here a bunch.

Of the electronics to be attached to while skiing, music would be one of the least dangerous (texting or talking on the phone while physically going down a trail is MUCH worse). However, I agree it's definitely still distracting to yourself and others to having music blasting out of speakers. Skiing is one of the faster paced things you can do with your body, so distractions are not good.

Additionally music in the middle of a trail would kill some of the serenity of being on a mountain.

wtcobb

Same thing happens at rock crags. Try enjoying the focus of climbing a wall with some shirtless bros blasting EDM.

Darn kids! And I am 30... :-x