• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

abc

Re: Omni

In some ways it makes sense because they are running BW just down the road. Pick up Burke for a cheap price with a new Hotel, send some of the BW crowd there, and it might work.
But it's not about how cheaply you can run it. It's about filling its rooms. What attracts people to Burke in the summer?

VTKilarney

But it's not about how cheaply you can run it. It's about filling its rooms. What attracts people to Burke in the summer?

Mountain bikers - which is not the clientele that Omni is after.

Omni wants well to do urban dwellers to come to their resorts and spend lots of money on spa treatments, horseback riding, etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Yes. This is a good point and one that my friends and I have discussed. An upscale motel will NOT target bikers. Q blew that one. BUT it will do a good conference and wedding business.

Bikers, at least the ones we see at KT, spend $5,000 on a bike but then will sleep in their cars or pay $15 for a campsite and sleep in a tent.

sull1102

I've been to a few Omni properties far outside the Northeast and it's always nice to see MWH and Bretton Woods photos on the slideshows in the lobby. MWH is that type of property they want to show off, Burke is a far cry from that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've been to a few Omni properties far outside the Northeast and it's always nice to see MWH and Bretton Woods photos on the slideshows in the lobby. MWH is that type of property they want to show off, Burke is a far cry from that.

That is true to some extent. Burke is not there....yet. And it may not be the right product.

VTKilarney

+1

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was something I said incorrect? Surely you don't believe that the Burke hotel is even close to as nice as any other Omni Resort property.

A. I never said you were incorrect

B. I never said that the Burke Hotel was as nice as other Omni Resort properties.

C. The "wow" was for your desire to continue to argue with someone who really wasn't trying to argue with you. I said generally Omni is upscale, but not always. They do diversify some. Maybe they would at Burke if the price is right. Maybe not. That's all I was saying. Simply speculating; not trying to say I'm right and your wrong or vice versa.

VTKilarney

Yes. This is a good point and one that my friends and I have discussed. An upscale motel will NOT target bikers. Q blew that one. BUT it will do a good conference and wedding business.

Bikers, at least the ones we see at KT, spend $5,000 on a bike but then will sleep in their cars or pay $15 for a campsite and sleep in a tent.

There is definitely demand for wedding space, but I'm not so sure how well the conference business will do. You've got a lot of competition considering how rural an area it is. Just look at Stowe, Omni Mt. Washington, Jay Peak, Killington, Lake Morey, etc.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There is definitely demand for wedding space, but I'm not so sure how well the conference business will do. You've got a lot of competition considering how rural an area it is. Just look at Stowe, Omni Mt. Washington, Jay Peak, Killington, Lake Morey, etc.

You do know how many people come to Vermont for destination weddings, yes? It is a HUGE business.

VTKilarney

C. The "wow" was for your desire to continue to argue with someone who really wasn't trying to argue with you. I said generally Omni is upscale, but not always. They do diversify some. Maybe they would at Burke if the price is right. Maybe not. That's all I was saying. Simply speculating; not trying to say I'm right and your wrong or vice versa.
My apologies, then. It certainly came across that way - especially when you gave a terse response of, "I'm familiar with Omni's portfolio, thanks." It was so terse that I could only speculate as to your intent. Apparently my speculation was incorrect.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

VTKilarney

KustyTheKlown

Ski The East
3 mins ·

"The mountain will revert to its former name." - Goldberg, the attorney in charge of Burke in today's Globe. No more Q.

That means the silly letter existed about 3 1/2 years. If anyone was betting on how long it would last.

deadheadskier

Staff member
when you gave a terse response of, "I'm familiar with Omni's portfolio, thanks." It was so terse that I could only speculate as to your intent.

The short response was made specifically because you were pushing an argument I wasn't interested in / had not invited. You're guilty of this frequently.

Glad we're clear!

Carry on

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I have not. I've been basing my assumptions on their representation that it is a copy of the Tramhaus Lodge. I have stayed in the Tramhaus. Is it nicer?

Yes. The interior of the Tram House is rather boring as you walking around the hallways. IMO, the interior of the Mid-Burke hotel was done much better than the Tram House. The central "Day Lodge" area is impressive with large glass walls looking out at the view of the mountain on one side and Willoughby Gap on the other. The restaurant and bar are nicely done as well. I didn't see into the conference room(s) but those don't look like anything particularly special. But then conference rooms are typically designed around functionality vs high class atmosphere.

Many of the Omni properties are older style buildings that they have renovated but kept a classic high class 1920's style to them. Granted, the Mid-Burke Hotel/Lodge is more modern in its style but I would say it is still pretty upscale.