• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

splitting wood

yeggous

I figure this is as good a place as any to seek some sagely advice. Today and tomorrow I am having 12 trees taken down. Of those about half are Norway maple. For those unaware, it's an illegal invasive species that seems to have conquered my yard. Tonight I went out to start splitting the wood. The oak and locust trees split easy. Made me feel like a man. Unfortunately the maple seems impervious. I probably took twenty swings at the first log and the maul just bounced off. How have you guys done with splitting maple?

I'm trying to avoid buying an electric log splitter that I'll only use every few years. I also appreciated the exercise that I so desperately need. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a cone wedge, but I don't have high expectations. If I just put this stuff aside, is it going to be any better next year?

dlague

Use a splitting wedge. May need a couple because of the way it splits apart. Tap it in a little then have at it. It will be a bunch of work though. Make sure that the cut is short. Too long and it splits harder. Where ever there is a branch good luck!

gmcunni

don't know much about types of trees but love splitting wood. some wood i found to be very tough to split, wait a year for it to dry and it split fine so maybe too green?

WoodCore

Split what you can and put the rest aside. Pick a day and rent a hydraulic splitter to split the tough stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

don't know much about types of trees but love splitting wood. some wood i found to be very tough to split, wait a year for it to dry and it split fine so maybe too green?

This. I usually wait 2 years for the trees to dry out, otherwise it won't burn that well even if you split it.

I love splitting as well, I have a log splitter I do use though when I am trying to cut up a lot, like a half a cord in a few hours, I believe it's rated for 20 tones and gets the job done fine. You could also trying using a maul (might be the cone wedge you're referring to) personally I've found constantly swinging a sledgehammer to tire me out much quicker though.

Tin

If you are focused on "overnighters" I wouldn't spend a ton of time cutting them up. It burns very hot and is good for heating up the home quickly but it goes too quick to stuff a stove with overnight. You will wake up cold.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm trying to avoid buying an electric log splitter that I'll only use every few years. I also appreciated the exercise that I so desperately need. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up a cone wedge, but I don't have high expectations. If I just put this stuff aside, is it going to be any better next year?

Rent one it is pretty economical.

Putting the wood aside to season for a year is also recommended, tough to split green logs and they don't burn well with too much moisture.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Option 1:
Stack it in rounds a cover until next summer to let a little moisture out get out and the grains to separate a little.

Option 2: Wait for a morning this winter when the temp is below -10F. The frozen water in the wood will make it brittle and it should split easier. I've split some very stubborn yellow birch this way.

yeggous

I managed to manually split some of the evil maple. Took me 20 minutes per log repeatedly bashing the wedges until they bounced out. Was a total pain in the ass.

Found an option 3. Nearby guy renting out a 20 ton splitter. $75 for the weekend. This is sounding attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

I managed to manually split some of the evil maple. Took me 20 minutes per log repeatedly bashing the wedges until they bounced out. Was a total pain in the ass.

Found an option 3. Nearby guy renting out a 20 ton splitter. $75 for the weekend. This is sounding attractive.

See what else you could split with it and post the videos. I would start with a small outboard motor.

Puck it

image.png
See what else you could split with it and post the videos. I would start with a small outboard motor.

yeggous

I found a workable solution. Start with a hatchet as a wedge and then switch to regular splitting wedges after you open a good crack. Hitting the hatchet with a sledge hammer quickly destroys the hatchet handle, but you can still use the hatchet head as a sharp wedge.

SkiFanE

Best option. We rented off Craigslist last fall - $75 he hauled it to backyard and picked it up. Not sure how much we cranked through Ina day but at least a cord. Could have done more if we had the time or wood. Makes 20 mins a log laughable lol. I learned to split wood young, believe it or not. Big family of 80% girls -
one of us had to help outside lol. Best core ezcercise ever. Have been splitting a small pile since spring. Use a wedge when I need to. Maybe only 1/3 cord chopped so far, been so busy. More to do. But no tree cut this spring - we live in woods and need to cut a tree or two every year - won't be dry enough for this winter. Probably have to buy for this winter.

yeggous

Best option. We rented off Craigslist last fall - $75 he hauled it to backyard and picked it up. Not sure how much we cranked through Ina day but at least a cord. Could have done more if we had the time or wood. Makes 20 mins a log laughable lol. I learned to split wood young, believe it or not. Big family of 80% girls -
one of us had to help outside lol. Best core ezcercise ever. Have been splitting a small pile since spring. Use a wedge when I need to. Maybe only 1/3 cord chopped so far, been so busy. More to do. But no tree cut this spring - we live in woods and need to cut a tree or two every year - won't be dry enough for this winter. Probably have to buy for this winter.

Hydraulic splitter worked like a champ for 5 hours. After a water break it started gushing hydraulic fluid when I restarted it. Apparently it blew an O ring so I was out of commission today. Owner is super cool and told me to keep it another week.

I'm thinking about hiring someone to haul, split, and stack it for me. I'm committed the new two weekends so it seems preferable. If I post such a gig on Craigslist for $20/hour do you think I'll get interest?

mriceyman

Hydraulic splitter worked like a champ for 5 hours. After a water break it started gushing hydraulic fluid when I restarted it. Apparently it blew an O ring so I was out of commission today. Owner is super cool and told me to keep it another week.

I'm thinking about hiring someone to haul, split, and stack it for me. I'm committed the new two weekends so it seems preferable. If I post such a gig on Craigslist for $20/hour do you think I'll get interest?

One would think but in this day and age its hard to find anyone who wants to work that hard

yeggous

One would think but in this day and age its hard to find anyone who wants to work that hard

I got an overwhelming response from Craigslist. And I broke the hydraulic splitter. Oops.

bigbog

Sounds like someone previously had really beaten it down...
You're a good employer yeggous....$20/hr, not a problem8). If anyone puts together some jaws made of wood = not a problem with chainsaw + chainsaw_skills.
By Hand: Yeah..to find a sharp wedge is the issue. Get it started in a piece of maple and then pound it through with sledge-hammer or a sharp wood-splitting maul works well.

http://www.warwoodtool.com/Products/Mauls/

Last edited: