• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crazy signs at ski areas

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
f60e14f870c511e39cee0e4cc6fd04b8_8.jpg

As in White Heat at Sunday River..? No fall zone!!:lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
As in White Heat at Sunday River..? No fall zone!!:lol:

I know. They used to have a printed sign that said the same thing that was at the very top of the trail as you left the chair. It said the same thing--"White Heat is for experts only and is a no-fall zone. Falling may result in uncontrolled sliding and serious injury or death" or something to that effect.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not crazy, but the sign on the tower at Sugarloaf that said "If you were at Sunday River you'd be at the top" was a classic cool sign. (Not sure if my quote is correct.)

You know I couldn't find a picture of that sign online! :(

freeski

I also couldn't find the Sugarloaf "you'd be at the top..." sign, but I have seen one online. Does anyone know exactly what it said?

Also, you don't want to fall on an icy White Heat. Most likely not going to hit anything, but from the top that's a long slide. I had a very bad experience on the midsection of an icy shockwave. I skied past two Skull and Bones warning signs. I wish I had a picture of those and I wish I heeded the warning.

steamboat1

Can't find a picture but I know it's been posted. Killington has signs that say something like "We know your awesome but please share the trail & restrict jumping & jibbing to the parks".

They also used to have signs saying "the mountains are just as cold & lonely at night as they were 200 years ago."

SkiingInABlueDream

Anyone remember the wood sign inside Jay's stateside lodge at the cafeteria that read "ENTERANCE" (note the spelling)? And then one year someone carved out the "E" to try to improve it but it looked more like "ENTORANCE" after that.

Bene288

The wall.jpg

I thought this was a little extreme. It's on the chair to a run called "The Wall" at Kirkwood.

MG Skier

Anyone remember the wood sign inside Jay's stateside lodge at the cafeteria that read "ENTERANCE" (note the spelling)? And then one year someone carved out the "E" to try to improve it but it looked more like "ENTORANCE" after that.

That was before I was cool enough or good enough to hang out at Stateside. Now there are stairs, but the lodge is nice.

machski

I know. They used to have a printed sign that said the same thing that was at the very top of the trail as you left the chair. It said the same thing--"White Heat is for experts only and is a no-fall zone. Falling may result in uncontrolled sliding and serious injury or death" or something to that effect.

We joke, but for some this is apt advice, especially on certain days. I have seen some long slides to bad ends on the Heat. Especially in this era of a groomed heat.

machski

These types of signs were all over Turoa and Whakkapapa in New Zealand. These were actually posted in the men's room so you could read while making the quick pit stop:

Attachments

• 1475075609613.jpg
    1475075609613.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 182

Smellytele

We joke, but for some this is apt advice, especially on certain days. I have seen some long slides to bad ends on the Heat. Especially in this era of a groomed heat.

skiers right has been a scraped off mess most of the time. I have seen people slide down that out of control many times.

2Planker

Yup, also had the Skull & Crossbones on it. It went away after one of he lawsuits was thrown out... People have to responsible for their own actions !

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yup, also had the Skull & Crossbones on it. It went away after one of he lawsuits was thrown out... People have to responsible for their own actions !

Interesting.

As to Tempest, good call on a longer lift. I was going to suggest something similar....from my armchair resort operator perspective!

snoseek

View attachment 20724

I thought this was a little extreme. It's on the chair to a run called "The Wall" at Kirkwood.

I can tell you a lot of people get on that chair that have no business being up there. Its unique as its really the only top of a ski area where there is zero groomed paths down and nothing blue. The wall in itself isn't terribly difficult or anything a solid intermediate couldn't handle....its just everyone feels the need to take 10 to the top for whatever reason. Ive coached quite few horrified skiers down that over the past few years. I even physically picked up a kid as mom was horrified and sliding down on her ass. Its real easy to get yourself in the shit up there lol