• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official March '17 Nor'easter Thread

Bumpsis

I have lost faith in storm snowfall predictions, especially when they start getting adjectives attached to them ("significant" etc). The last one that I fell for was the 12/29/16 at Cannon, also hyped up to bring in some massive snowfall (18 to 20 inches). Some local hotels (Lincoln and Franconia) even raised their nightly rates for that occasion. The actual snowfall at Cannon from that "storm" was about 8 inches, just barely enough to cover up the icy glaze which was allover the mountain.
The resulting crowds were the most I ever saw at Cannon - granted, it was a holiday week. The more notable snowfalls from that event were recorded further up in Maine.
I will be taking Wednesday off and going up to NH, where, I'm not sure. I know we will get some snow, but I'm keeping my expectations in check.

snoseek

I'm on school break this week and don't need to be to work till Friday night so just give me a foot at Wildcat and it will ski much much better and I'll be a happy camper. If I need to travel elsewhere I will but as it looks right now things will be just fine in the MWV and the trees should be back in play.

drjeff

I'm thinking a day trip from CT to Mount Snow may be in order for Wednesday. Any risk that we may be looking at wind holds?
Yes!! And No I'm not saying that because I'll be there! (I'll be home in CT)

Wind holds on the backside of Nor'easters at Mount Snow are a very common occurrence - for example, after the Nor'easter just before Presidents week, the Northface didn't open all day, and multiple high speed lifts on the main face had wind hold issues periodically throughout the day....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

bheemsoth

Yes!! And No I'm not saying that because I'll be there! (I'll be home in CT)

Wind holds on the backside of Nor'easters at Mount Snow are a very common occurrence - for example, after the Nor'easter just before Presidents week, the Northface didn't open all day, and multiple high speed lifts on the main face had wind hold issues periodically throughout the day....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
Thanks Jeff. I had figured that would be the case. I may head to Magic instead. The old fixed grip chairs should be more resilient to wind hold.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SnoDevil97

I think more snowfall for the mountains of NH & ME. Always overperform with a Nor'easter, & this one's a classic.

Tin

I think more snowfall for the mountains of NH & ME. Always overperform with a Nor'easter, & this one's a classic.

The historic systems track over the canal/islands, as this one is forecasted to do, and are better for western areas. Of course everyone will do great though. The Miller Bs produce better for NH and Maine.

tnt1234

Seems unlikely my family will be able to get out mid-week to really enjoy this, but at least we'll have plenty of options for Saturday. Snow might inspire us to over night in S. Vt. or maybe try Greek Peak...We'll see.

Certainly gonna be white in NJ for a little while!

Hope everyone enjoys it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
storm's going to deliver. models shifted westward. Looking at 1.5 to 2 feet of snow with a great boost from upslope and mt. snows the remainder of the week. Weekend mobbed? Undoubtedly. Magic will have to start working on that third lift!

Puck it

storm's going to deliver. models shifted westward. Looking at 1.5 to 2 feet of snow with a great boost from upslope and mt. snows the remainder of the week. Weekend mobbed? Undoubtedly. Magic will have to start working on that third lift!
Are you even skiing yet? Thought you were waiting until late April when condition get good.

drjeff

Magic has races there both days as well this coming weekend.

Might be a repeat situation like President's weekend Sunday where they stopped selling tickets because of crowding and those that were doing the casual 10:30/11AM arrival were out of luck - that was a race day as well.

Race's this weekend are on Showoff, so that shouldn't effect access to some of the goods the same way that the Pres Weekend sell out Sunday race day, that had a race on Talisman, did to access for some stuff on the West side did that day....

tnt1234

Magic has races there both days as well this coming weekend.

Might be a repeat situation like President's weekend Sunday where they stopped selling tickets because of crowding and those that were doing the casual 10:30/11AM arrival were out of luck - that was a race day as well.

Race's this weekend are on Showoff, so that shouldn't effect access to some of the goods the same way that the Pres Weekend sell out Sunday race day, that had a race on Talisman, did to access for some stuff on the West side did that day....

I don't know....in my town, the psychic shift to spring is setting in. But I guess up in the mountains, skiing is still on everyone's mind.

Hope it isn't utterly mobbed, but you are probably right.

cdskier

I don't know....in my town, the psychic shift to spring is setting in. But I guess up in the mountains, skiing is still on everyone's mind.

Hope it isn't utterly mobbed, but you are probably right.

That's what I'm wondering...we're into mid-March already and some people are done skiing by now. On the flipside I'm sure you have people that have lots of vouchers or pre-paid tickets left that they want to use up so might view this weekend as a great opportunity.

I told my boss last week I was tentatively taking off this Friday if VT got decent snow from this storm, so at the very least I'm heading up Thursday night and Friday should at least not be too crowded as not everyone can just take off work or pull kids out of school to go up early. At least that is my thought/hope. Not everyone is as obsessed with skiing as the people on that post on this board.

Savemeasammy

This has the potential to be the 2nd busiest weekend of the year. A massive snowstorm that buries everyone's yards, and gives people plenty of time to clean out and plan ahead for the weekend...? Wherever you go, get there early!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

That's what I'm wondering...we're into mid-March already and some people are done skiing by now. On the flipside I'm sure you have people that have lots of vouchers or pre-paid tickets left that they want to use up so might view this weekend as a great opportunity.

I told my boss last week I was tentatively taking off this Friday if VT got decent snow from this storm, so at the very least I'm heading up Thursday night and Friday should at least not be too crowded as not everyone can just take off work or pull kids out of school to go up early. At least that is my thought/hope. Not everyone is as obsessed with skiing as the people on that post on this board.

With Friday being St Patricks Day (and "unofficial" holiday for many ;-) :beer: ) , many resorts have cheap lift ticket deals (and plenty of beer specials ;-) ) Add in the fresh snow from this storm, and I'm thinking that it will be far from a typical Friday crowd at many places :-(

drjeff

This has the potential to be the 2nd busiest weekend of the year. A massive snowstorm that buries everyone's yards, and gives people plenty of time to clean out and plan ahead for the weekend...? Wherever you go, get there early!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not sure I'd go 2nd busiest, as all 3 major holiday periods (Christmas/New Years week, MLK weekend and Pres Weekend) had good weather and snow (and at least where I was skiing those weekends (Mount Snow, Stratton, and Magic) BIG crowds during all 3 - makes it tough to crack a top 2 weekend, but I think you're 100% correct about big crowds this weekend and a top 5 weekend crowd wouldn't surprise me at all.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
f34f1ab05a649888da12b7c194229d14.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app