• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain - West Side

What is the "easiest" way down the west side of Magic Mountain, other than Wizard

• Total voters

MMP

Glad you liked it. Really great surprise pow day. Planned to ski until drenched but it just snowed for hours. Agree about Talisman, big soft bumps, old school magic skiing.

We skied broomstick. Sporty but totally skiable. Same with black line. That's magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

Thanks for the advice everybody. Broomstick was closed today (despite what it said on the snow report), so I went down Talisman a couple times. Once I peeked over the initial crest, it wasn't as steep as I had initially feared last week. A little bumpy but not too bad. Wonderful powder field after the second headwall. Second time down I took Bailout over to Heart of the Magician / Lower Magician, which wasn't as steep but there were a couple of tricky "death trenches" (is there skier slang for that) on Bailout. Also it is funny that the Bailout trail comes *after* the most difficult part of Talisman, the second headwall was much easier (and even had an unmoguled part on the left).

Here's the Ski Tracks map, runs 3 & 5

View attachment 22269

Based on early trail maps I've seen (not personal experience) lower Talisman didn't exist - Talisman went into Heart of Magician, so "Bail-Out" was actually Talisman. Only when todays lower section of Talisman was cut did they need to a name for Bail Out, though some maps showed the trail without a name.