• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

BenedictGomez

Is it the specific plan or a general belief that Biotech companies don't work in rural areas?

Both, in about a 90:10 proportion.

Yes, it would be very difficult to draw the type of workers needed to Newport, Vermont.

But the much larger issue was the entire "plan" if you could call it that. It called for the manufacture of artificial organs (ROFLMAO) which aren't FDA approved. FYI, their products aren't EMEA approved either, so there's literally nowhere on planet earth you could sell the finished product, even if they could make them in the first place, which they cant. And in terms of severity of "government regulatory healthcare hurdles", getting artificial organs approved is no simple matter. This isnt as simple as filing a piece of paper and some government wonk stamps it a week later, you need to run clinical trials, which are extremely expensive. This is "go big or go home" stuff. Not to mention, as from_the_NEK noted, they were essentially broke. The entire thing was a complete joke, and anyone with even the slightest healthcare background could tell you this, which was another bit of circumstantial evidence I used to predict that there was no real due diligence going on by State of Vermont, despite the state's blather.

Is Canada the place that had that crack-smoking obese mayor? He was pretty awesome.

Oh, that's true, I forgot about him. I'm not sure he ever came up at lunch or dinner though.

Domeskier

Oh, that's true, I forgot about him. I'm not sure he ever came up at lunch or dinner though.

Other than him, I could not name a single Canadian politician without Google's help. Well, I couldn't actually name him, either. I guess I'm just an ignorant American, but the only time I ever hear about Canada in the news is when some self-important U.S. celebrity threatens to move there if we fail to elect some candidate that they support.

Jcb890

Both, in about a 90:10 proportion.

Yes, it would be very difficult to draw the type of workers needed to Newport, Vermont.

But the much larger issue was the entire "plan" if you could call it that. It called for the manufacture of artificial organs (ROFLMAO) which aren't FDA approved. FYI, their products aren't EMEA approved either, so there's literally nowhere on planet earth you could sell the finished product, even if they could make them in the first place, which they cant. And in terms of severity of "government regulatory healthcare hurdles", getting artificial organs approved is no simple matter. This isnt as simple as filing a piece of paper and some government wonk stamps it a week later, you need to run clinical trials, which are extremely expensive. This is "go big or go home" stuff. Not to mention, as from_the_NEK noted, they were essentially broke. The entire thing was a complete joke, and anyone with even the slightest healthcare background could tell you this, which was another bit of circumstantial evidence I used to predict that there was no real due diligence going on by State of Vermont, despite the state's blather.

I had no idea about any of those details from_the_NEK posted. There's only 2 possible options from the State's perspective in this - either they did no due diligence (most likely), or they were complicit in the whole scheme.

Also, I agree. It would be very tough to draw those type of workers to Northern Vermont. You would have to invest a TON of money beyond just the facilities. The company would also more than likely have to over-pay for the people they would be able to lure up there. I'm not saying it is impossible or could not happen, it just isn't very likely.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Is Canada the place that had that crack-smoking obese mayor? He was pretty awesome.

RIP , Rob Ford . Before our election I had his picture in my signature with the caption "what he said " referring to is "Pussy"
comment. It was a riddle. What he said .... answer. "Didn't matter" as Trump got elected.

VTKilarney

Don't forget that Quiros produced a market study showing just how great an idea AnC Bio was for Newport.

Sadly, I have a feeling that there will be no consequences for the firm that produced the market study.

Jcb890

Don't forget that Quiros produced a market study showing just how great an idea AnC Bio was for Newport.

Sadly, I have a feeling that there will be no consequences for the firm that produced the market study.
There almost never is.

Look at the firm Exponent used as an "Independent Researcher" and scientific backing for the Deflategate garbage. Their report was obviously flawed and they often reach "questionable conclusions based on their allegiances."

Here's a couple of great ones - dumping oil waste doesn't cause cancer:
“[In May 2009], the Amazon Defense Coalition alleged that an Exponent study finding that dumping oil waste in the Ecuadorean rain forest did not increase cancer rates was tainted because the firm’s largest shareholder was a member of the board of Chevron Corp., which commissioned the study.”

Or how about this gem? They argued for Big Tobacco that second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer:
“Stanton Glantz, [is] a cardiologist at UC San Francisco who runs a database on the tobacco industry that contains thousands of pages of Exponent research arguing, among other things, that secondhand smoke does not cause cancer.”

Two claims that EVERYONE knows are false. They're still employed and still retained by large corporations and paid large sums of money to provide "scientific backing" which basically just aligns with what whoever is paying them wants it to say.

Jully

There almost never is.

Look at the firm Exponent used as an "Independent Researcher" and scientific backing for the Deflategate garbage. Their report was obviously flawed and they often reach "questionable conclusions based on their allegiances."

Here's a couple of great ones - dumping oil waste doesn't cause cancer:

Or how about this gem? They argued for Big Tobacco that second hand smoke doesn't cause cancer:

Two claims that EVERYONE knows are false. They're still employed and still retained by large corporations and paid large sums of money to provide "scientific backing" which basically just aligns with what whoever is paying them wants it to say.

+1

ForcedHotWater

I could not name a single Canadian politician without Google's help.

Oh this guy definitely voted for the ButtTrumpet. No longer content to be anonymously ignorant, he's proud of his ignorance and since the election wants the world to acknowledge it. So funny and so appropriate.

New rule:

All ButtTrumpeters shall be pulled from the dank, stinky holes in which they live (read: roll around in piles of their own filth), and summarily shot.

(That post ought to bring the ban hammer - this toilet is swimming with ButtTrumpeters. I can smell 'em! Hahaha!)

Last edited:

Jcb890

Oh this guy definitely voted for the ButtTrumpet. No longer content to be anonymously ignorant, he's proud of his ignorance and since the election wants the world to acknowledge it. So funny and so appropriate.

New rule:

All ButtTrumpeters shall be pulled from the dank, stinky holes in which they live (read: roll around in piles of their own filth), and summarily shot.

(That post ought to bring the ban hammer - this toilet is swimming with ButtTrumpeters. I can smell 'em! Hahaha!)
Judging by people's posts, I don't think there's very many Trump voters in here. That's not even a good effort.

benski

[FONT="]— Here’s a biggie buried deep in the story. The proposed site of the factory (plus 18 nearby acres) was purchased in 2011 for $3.1 million by a corporation owned by Stenger’s partner Ariel Quiros. Part of the land was sold to the EB-5 consortium, little more than a year later, for $6 million. That’s a tidy profit for Mr. Q. He’d profit even more if the plant is built and his 18 acres are adjacent to a booming factory.[/FONT]

I wonder how much of the total cost of the projects was this type of bullshit.

jack97

Is it the specific plan or a general belief that Biotech companies don't work in rural areas?

Jackson Laboratories in Bar Harbor Maine employs 1300 people. I know it's much more common for biotech companies to be located near cities or large research universities, but some do locate in remote areas. So, I don't think the idea of having such a firm near Newport is that crazy.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

According to wiki, Jackson Lab is a non profit and they have another lab in CT. This only brings out the topic why the Bar Harbor Location was selected in the first place. A high tech lab or center that can be sustain for the long term (over several decades) needs to be near universities that can supply a steady stream of brain power. Lab or high tech offices in rural area are short term facilities either to satisfy the lifestyle of very senior people within the company or to leverage some type of financial advantage.

thetrailboss

Staff member
According to wiki, Jackson Lab is a non profit and they have another lab in CT. This only brings out the topic why the Bar Harbor Location was selected in the first place. A high tech lab or center that can be sustain for the long term (over several decades) needs to be near universities that can supply a steady stream of brain power. Lab or high tech offices in rural area are short term facilities either to satisfy the lifestyle of very senior people within the company or to leverage some type of financial advantage.

I was about to say that the likely reason for the lab being in Bar Harbor is because it is Bar Harbor and that is a nice place to be forced to "work" or "visit", particularly in the warmer months.