• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I Terrorized a Nonagenarian

Cornhead

I didn't know what it is either, I had to Google the definition.
nonagenarian
One who is between the age of 90 and 99, inclusive. One who is in his or her tenth decade.

It happened on the Visions Express Quad at Greek Peak. I was winding up a wonderful three day weekend of skiing the season's first natural snow in our region. I approached the lift gates with my buddy Rambo. Between us was an elderly gentleman. I assumed we would all ride the next chair up together. When the gates opened, the elderly gentleman and I slid through the gates. Rambo must have ESP, he stayed put. As I passed through the gate my pole basket got stuck on something on the side of the gate. I yanked on the pole trying to free it. Once would've been OK but when I made the foolish decision to yank a second time instead of the wise choice of just loading the chair and letting Rambo, or anyone else, bring my pole up with them, I got turned sideways on the carpet. Now I could've just straightened myself and loaded the chair, but for some reason I decided to exit the carpet stage left. I lost my balance, fell to the carpet releasing my left ski in the process. Meanwhile my right ski had become entangled in the chair ahead of me containing one elderly man. I was dragged along the carpet until the liftie finally hit the EPO. After untangling my right ski, and getting my left ski back on, and getting the pole I just had to have, I walked around and sat next to the old guy and waited for the lift to start back up.

As we headed uphill, the guy proceeded to tell me he was 90 yrs old and had been skiing most of those 90 yrs. He also told me he was a ski jumper earlier in his life, and personally knew the Trapp family. That was it for the history lesson. From then on he let me know that he was in fear of his life when we were to exit the chair expecting a repeat performance of my loading act. I assured him this was not my first clambake, and my floundering on the conveyor was an anomaly, he was not convinced. I was sitting towards the middle of the chair since I weigh three times as much as the old man, he was to my right. I pointed to the vacant seat to the far left of the chair. I asked if he would feel safer if I slid over there. I reminded him that if I did his seat would now be considerably higher than mine. I stayed where I was. When we exited the chair, we both skied away smoothly without incident.

I thought about the passion for skiing this man must possess knowing a fall could not only end his day, but his life. I'm sure he was thrilled to add fat, flopping, fifty plus year olds to his list of hazards. At 90 yrs old getting out of bed is an accomplishment, sliding down a ski hill is phenomenal. I'm just glad he didn't arrive at the top DOA from a heart attack courtesy of me. Or fall himself out of sheer terror of what I might do.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Scruffy

Cool story, Cornhead. Betcha he's telling it differently to his peeps. Oh wait, he had no peeps. Dude was 90+ and skiing alone! Props to him.

Edd

Great story! 90. Too old for me. No thanks. It seems to me that there’s a point of diminishing returns. We’re not built to live so goddamned long.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Glenn

My wife and I rode the chair with a gentleman in his late 80's a few years back. He loved getting out on the hill! He said he got out early to avoid the crowds. He understood the risks of a fall at his age.

Smellytele

Have an uncle who skied to 84. He is now 87 but still goes on ski trips to drink his manhattans but doesn't ski just hangs out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Rambo

I might have ESP. I had a strange sense that I should not load the Quad chair with Cornhead and the old guy. I was going to get on the next chair when I saw Cornhead drop his left pole... then all heck broke loose... Corn's left ski got caught and came off... he got spawled out big time on the moving loading conveyor... his other ski was caught in the chair,,, and he was staying low to avoid getting hit by the heavy chair... the lift attendant did'nt immeadiately notice the situation. Corn was yelling "Whoa, Whoa" and then the lift attendant hit the emergency stop button. This was really something to witness. I did'nt bring my camera or I would have whipped it out and got a great pic. Corn has many, many, many, ski stories and this incident adds another one.

slatham

The guy is skiing at 90 because at every similar occasion that Cornhead experienced HE DECIDED TO LEAVE THE POLE BEHIND!

Cornhead

The guy is skiing at 90 because at every similar occasion that Cornhead experienced HE DECIDED TO LEAVE THE POLE BEHIND!
I'm well aware the right thing to do was ignore the pole and load the chair, but when the thing you've done thousands of times doesn't go as it has thousands of times, it's easy to not act logically. At least I didn't harpoon anyone in the nads...this time.

slatham

I'm well aware the right thing to do was ignore the pole and load the chair, but when the thing you've done thousands of times doesn't go as it has thousands of times, it's easy to not act logically. At least I didn't harpoon anyone in the nads...this time.

Yes it happens to me all the time. Not sure I'll reach 90......

SIKSKIER

Just celebrated my friend Cyrus' 92nd birthday Saturday.He cant ski now but did on his 90th.He makes the 30 mile drive from his house every weekend just to see his ski buddies.

Attachments

• cyrus92.jpg
    cyrus92.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 55