• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worth playing hookie on Monday or not?

abc

Weatherunderground is predicting 3-5 inches even in the Cats. Though historically, forecast tend to over-predict. And can't be trusted till about 48 hrs to the time.

Still, if the snow materialize, would it be worth taking Monday off to get them? I guess it depends on where too. So which region do people think will benefit most? 

skimagic

Weatherunderground is predicting 3-5 inches even in the Cats. Though historically, forecast tend to over-predict. And can't be trusted till about 48 hrs to the time.

Still, if the snow materialize, would it be worth taking Monday off to get them? I guess it depends on where too. So which region do people think will benefit most? 

I'll be Sick Monday after examining the data, south Vermont will get dumped on, 6". Got to take what you can get at this point. Especially since sleet is on tap for Wednesday.

cdskier

You know it has been a bad winter when people are contemplating taking off to ski 3-5 inches of snow...

Personally my opinion is no, it isn't worth it. 3-5 isn't exactly going to reopen much. Sure the existing man-made trails will ski nicely with that on top, but don't expect much more than that.

abc

well...

How often do we get 5+"? Maybe 10 days a winter? Or is it more? I don't remember too many winter I see a lot of days of 3-5". Granted, 5 is quite a bit more than 3.

And there's also the matter of WHAT these 3-5" are falling on. Hence the question.

Jully

well...

How often do we get 5+"? Maybe 10 days a winter? Or is it more? I don't remember too many winter I see a lot of days of 3-5". Granted, 5 is quite a bit more than 3.

And there's also the matter of WHAT these 3-5" are falling on. Hence the question.

The what it is falling on is why i don't think it will be worth it. Anything natural won't be open so it'll be groomers with a few inches on top. Fun for sure, but not worth a day off in my book.

abc

There’re groomers. Then there’re groomers.

I’ll be more than happy for 5” of hero snow on top of nicely flattened soft surfaces. In fact, I’d be more than happy to take a day off for that.

But it’s a very different matter if it’s 3” on top of frozen crust.

Glenn

NWS out of Albany is saying 3-6" Sunday/Monday for SoVT. While not a deep powder day, could be fun.

Jully

There’re groomers. Then there’re groomers.

I’ll be more than happy for 5” of hero snow on top of nicely flattened soft surfaces. In fact, I’d be more than happy to take a day off for that.

But it’s a very different matter if it’s 3” on top of frozen crust.

Very true, and the groomers will be frozen crust almost definitely. Unless this storm today somehow over performs.

I would wait until condition reports from over the weekend before making a final decision, if you can wait until Saturday night. My best guess is frozen groomers though.

Last edited:

Jully

NWS out of Albany is saying 3-6" Sunday/Monday for SoVT. While not a deep powder day, could be fun.

Oh it'll be fun for sure, BUT, I don't think so much fun that I would skip work for it. I'm not sure about ABC's work situation, but my work can pile up rather quickly and my ability to take days off with minimal notice and no questions asked can run out in short time.

I'm hoping for bigger, better storms falling on better conditions in just a few short weeks. I would (and indeed I am) save my hooky playing until then.

Glenn

That is a good point. I suppose I was leaning more towards Sunday. Even a few inches of snow can make things a lot more enjoyable on the hill. Certainly not enough to get into the woods, but enough to change things up.

abc

As far as groomers go,a few inches groomed into FG snow can make a huge difference.fwiw
Even there, the timing of the snow makes a huge difference too.

Couple inches groomed into FG is fine. But a couple inches fresh ON TOP of "a few inches groomed into FG snow" is the next best thing (in the northeast) short of a foot of powder!

BenedictGomez

Playing hookie the day after the Super Bowl???

Tom_Brady_Skis_In_Jeans.jpg

abc

Playing hookie the day after the Super Bowl??? BOLD MOVE COTTON.
That's not a problem in my case.

Nobody cares about the game in my office. When someone came in to recruit people for the Superbowl pool, the response is "Huh, what? Oh Superbowl, I heard of that"

I'm stuck in the office for the entire month of Feb because the other guy in my team is getting married and will be on honeymoon. So I won't get any official time off except "sick" days (or I call it "mental health days") here and there.

Perhaps a different way to frame the perspective is, would you ski if Monday is an holiday?

In other words, I'm really looking more at the condition angle rather than the playing hookie aspect.

Last edited:

2planks2coasts

Yes! I'm heading to Windham tomorrow. Latest report I read says 6-8" in the Catskills. Skied Gore last weekend, Ice, dirt, slush. Still fun mind you, but 6-8 fresh sounds awesome!

bdfreetuna

Seems to be slightly overperforming so far both in precip amount and overall area of frozen precip. Also I think Pico + K get the bullseye.

For example I'm in Florence MA and it was supposed to be all rain here with a slight mix. Rained for 5 minutes and switched to all snow. Would not be surprised to see 4" here in the flats.

NYDB

4-5 inches on the ground in So Vt by about 4pm. Forecast for 4-5 more tonight. Monday will be great down here even with a bit a sleet. So far an overperforming system.

Last edited: