• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Missing Whiteface Skier Found..........

BenedictGomez

So, what is your hypothesis? You actually believe this was an attempt by this guy to fake his own death or to get away from his wife? That makes less than 0 sense. He was found STILL WEARING HIS SKIING GEAR FROM 5 DAYS PRIOR!

That's been my hypothesis since near the very beginning of this story, so lump me in with those making "0 sense" I guess.

Smellytele

That's been my hypothesis since near the very beginning of this story, so lump me in with those making "0 sense" I guess.

Something is off but he called his wife before authorities were on to him and she told him to contact them. Did she come to the realization that it wasn't going to work or did he?

Vaughn

The thing that bothers me the most about many of the responses on this forum are that a lot of people immediately jumped to the "nefarious" conclusion. Too many pessimists here that only see the evil and bad in people.

Absent any specific facts, it is so, so much more likely that he did this intentionally than what, he was drugged and transported 3000 miles... for unexplainable reasons? It's Occam's Razor - what answer requires the fewest assumptions.

He did it on purpose theory:
Assumes he didn't get some rare, undetectable temporary mental condition which blotted out his memory but did allow him to travel 3000 miles without detection.
Assumes he just changed clothes to travel which is why there were reports of a man in full ski gear being spotted in Kansas, etc...

He blacked out or whatever theory:
Assumes he lost all of his memory but was able to hitch a ride and travel across the country in ski gear without being noticed or discussed.
Assumes it's possible to just black out for a week and yet live your life, eating and drinking and finding somewhere to sleep without problems or assumes some unknown stranger helped out a guy dressed in a ski gear to travel across the country without contacting the authorities or getting him mental help.

He was abducted theory:
Assumes someone would undertake the complexity and risk of drugging and kidnpapping, but not harming a middle aged Canadian firefighter, and then moving him 3000 miles undetected.
Assumes that this kidnapper changes their mind and releases him.

I'd bet $1000 (Canadian) this was some dumb plot hatched by him and his wife gone wrong and he bailed out of it.

VTKilarney

I just think that it is absurd that he didn't ski in Utah or Colorado on his way to California. He blew a real opportunity.

jaytrem

Kinda reminds me of when the guy was pushed off a chair at Aspen but decided it was to good a powder day to report it to the police until after skiing all day. Lots of people saying he made it up, but turns out it was true. Crazy stuff happens, but this one is extra crazy.

My theory, maybe he wasn't in ski clothing the whole time. Possibly dumped his other stuff and then put on the "mental issue" act.

Glenn

My theory, maybe he wasn't in ski clothing the whole time. Possibly dumped his other stuff and then put on the "mental issue" act.

I would have to imagine that we would have seen footage from the airport security cameras by now if this guy truly was wearing ski gear the entire time.

tnt1234

I just think that it is absurd that he didn't ski in Utah or Colorado on his way to California. He blew a real opportunity.

lol. So true.

Whole week off, going right through the heart of ski country...wow. He blew it.

BenedictGomez

No legitimate updates to this tale?

I read somewhere that he "got a haircut", which in my cynical mind is possible circumstantial evidence of an attempt at appearance change.

speden

CIA black ops mission gone bad. Subject's memory had to be erased (codename "haircut"). All mission objectives are classified.

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

No legitimate updates to this tale?

I read somewhere that he "got a haircut", which in my cynical mind is possible circumstantial evidence of an attempt at appearance change.

Didn't he buy a new phone, too? Even Pollyanna would be suspicious of this guy.

BenedictGomez

Didn't he buy a new phone, too? Even Pollyanna would be suspicious of this guy.

Yes. And now I'm reading he reportedly had $1,000 in cash on him.

Because I always show-up at the slopes with $1k in my pocket. This is getting fishier-and-fishier.

bdfreetuna

CIA black ops mission gone bad. Subject's memory had to be erased (codename "haircut"). All mission objectives are classified.

Too bad when they split his personalities in the "mkultra" days, they never told the guy that "Gondola" was his trigger word for personality #2 to take the lead and begin the mission.

speden

The other rumor is that somehow this guy found out the real reason the Patriots intentionally lost the Superbowl by benching Malcolm Butler. He had to go on the run so fast he didn't even have time to change out of his ski gear. But someone caught up to him and now he's not talking...

Sent from my SM-G920V using AlpineZone mobile app