• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow..coming ???

tnt1234

I was thinking maybe mount snow as a relatively quick day trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how far the drives would be, but Hunter and Belleayre are probably closest to the thruway. (I've never been to Windham). Plattekil is awesome, but farther west, and struggling right now - so they need to get hit big.

Between Hunter and Belleayre, Hunter is a taller mountain. Belleayre has nice steep pitch and little run out on the tomahawk side, but that lift is probably only 900 vert - maybe 1,000?

Bell has great trees if they are open. Hunter not so much as far as I know. But they won't be ready until this storm hits 15-20" I'd guess....

If you turn it into an overnight, Bell>Platty would be a nice time. Avoid Hunter on Saturday. Gonna be a zoo.

chuckstah

I'd say S. NH and S. VT will have some decent snow. Due to wind, Sunday may be the best bet. We are considering Crotched or Mt. Snow for Sunday, a blast up and back, same day. CM has 44.00 tickets. Snow, I can get 55.00 but I am thinking smaller mountain, low key and plus. Francestown General Store has killer donuts and an insane collection of craft beers. WIN

I skied Crotched today. Really fun spring conditions but super low tide on many trails. 6 plus inches of solid snow and all will be good. Rain? Most trails are done.

rocks860

Not sure how far the drives would be, but Hunter and Belleayre are probably closest to the thruway. (I've never been to Windham). Plattekil is awesome, but farther west, and struggling right now - so they need to get hit big.

Between Hunter and Belleayre, Hunter is a taller mountain. Belleayre has nice steep pitch and little run out on the tomahawk side, but that lift is probably only 900 vert - maybe 1,000?

Bell has great trees if they are open. Hunter not so much as far as I know. But they won't be ready until this storm hits 15-20" I'd guess....

If you turn it into an overnight, Bell>Platty would be a nice time. Avoid Hunter on Saturday. Gonna be a zoo.

I’ve been to platty before, took me about as long as it takes me to get to sugarbush from here

tnt1234

I’ve been to platty before, took me about as long as it takes me to get to sugarbush from here

So Bell or Hunter would be about 30min. closer. Maybe a little less. Tough call - SB might get some snow and of course is 10x better than the catskills...

sankaty

The 0Z NAM is a nice bump north and a little cooler, looking much better for southern and even central VT up to about Killington. It still is insane for the Catskills.

Taken literally, shows 30"+ for most of the Cats. About 20" for Stratton/Snow, 10-12" for Okemo/Killington. The NAM has to be taken with a grain of salt, but if it verified, somewhere in the Catskills might break 40".

Pretty much all the models are showing a huge storm for the Catskills now, though 30"+ is hard to believe.

Also, it shows Boston getting about 3 inches of rain, then 15 inches of snow. Unlikely.

cdskier

The 0Z NAM is a nice bump north and a little cooler, looking much better for southern and even central VT up to about Killington. It still is insane for the Catskills.

Taken literally, shows 30"+ for most of the Cats. About 20" for Stratton/Snow, 10-12" for Okemo/Killington. The NAM has to be taken with a grain of salt, but if it verified, somewhere in the Catskills might break 40".

And about 2-3" for Sugarbush :sadwalk:

rocks860

Yeah I probably wouldn’t go all the way to sugarbush, probably some in southern vt. That’s why I was thinkin maybe mount snow. Haven’t been there in years

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I am so torn between Mount Snow or Belleayre. If this tracks north...Mount Snow gets 12"+ while Belle gets rain Thursday night followed by a good dump of snow, but not enough to get anything open Friday. If it tracks south...Mount Snow gets 6" of snow (still not enough to open naturals) while Belleayre gets a storm between 2 and 3 FEET.

And then for the weekend at home either Thunder Ridge is gonna get the rest of its snow washed way with 2"-3" of rain, or it could switch over and there could be a surprise 6" on the ground.

abc

Now I remember why I rarely chase storms in the east. This one is so typical:

- Treacherous travel the the onset of the storm, ok, need to pre-position ($$, one extra night hotel pre-storm)
- High wind came with the storm == lifts on wind hold (waste of time)
- Windy and bitterly cold AFTER the storm -- OK, not this storm. But that's because it's so warm some of the precip may be RAIN!

I'll decide when I get up on Friday morning whether it's worth taking the day off to head over to the Cats (Windham or Belleayre). And if the wind's howling, I'm going to sit tight at home to see if any area spin their chairs.

Saturday will be a tougher choice. It maybe too treacherous to change location on Friday evening regardless of what I do on Friday. And SOME PLACE will have decent skiing. Unfortunately, we just don't know where yet.

Last edited:

sankaty

I am so torn between Mount Snow or Belleayre. If this tracks north...Mount Snow gets 12"+ while Belle gets rain Thursday night followed by a good dump of snow, but not enough to get anything open Friday. If it tracks south...Mount Snow gets 6" of snow (still not enough to open naturals) while Belleayre gets a storm between 2 and 3 FEET.

And then for the weekend at home either Thunder Ridge is gonna get the rest of its snow washed way with 2"-3" of rain, or it could switch over and there could be a surprise 6" on the ground.

I don't think you have to worry much about rain at Belleayre. Just about all the models (including the Euro) are showing 15+ there, with some showing much more. I think Mt. Snow is likely to do well too, but the odds are that the Cats will get significantly more snow.

rocks860

Would be like 2 hours to get to mount snow or 3 to get to Belleayre. I think I passed Belleayre when I was going to plattekill that time

lerops

Would be like 2 hours to get to mount snow or 3 to get to Belleayre. I think I passed Belleayre when I was going to plattekill that time

Right, 15-20 minutes past Belleayre. 99% of the cars take a left to Belleayre on Route 28, and the wise 1% continue to Plattekill. Love that place!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

abc

Right, 15-20 minutes past Belleayre. 99% of the cars take a left to Belleayre on Route 28, and the wise 1% continue to Plattekill. Love that place!
Now it's 0.9%.

As some of us previously Platty skiers bought MAX. I felt a bit conflicted about going to Belleayre instead of Platty. But with MAX pass going away, I'd like to take advantage of it and go to Belleayre this year.

benski

racially tinged.

I was planning on asking the cops to just cut it for me. also racially tinged in that I feel confident doing this as a mid 30s white dude

You should ask the cops. You would still look like a criminal unlocking it anyway. I got a lot of dirty looks once when I had to unlock my bike from a public street with 5 identical bikes near it and I went to my bike last.

sankaty

Naturally all the models double down with 12+ into S VT except the Euro, which only has 8-10" for the Catskills and 2-3" for S VT. Oy.

lerops

Now it's 0.9%.

As some of us previously Platty skiers bought MAX. I felt a bit conflicted about going to Belleayre instead of Platty. But with MAX pass going away, I'd like to take advantage of it and go to Belleayre this year.

Exactly how I feel as a Max Pass owner.

But there is always next year!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone