• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Skier Visits Down Significantly Due to COVID-19

drjeff

Just waiting to see how the government wanting to ask it's employees and encouraging private businesses to ask their employees about their vaccination status is going to play out. Heck, in California, an employer can't legally ask a potential employee their sex and/or if they're pregnant, and now the federal government wants them to ask about vaccination status.

The fact that some people seem to want to give more power over our personal freedoms to political leaders of both parties these days is mindboggling to me

Edd

Just waiting to see how the government wanting to ask it's employees and encouraging private businesses to ask their employees about their vaccination status is going to play out. Heck, in California, an employer can't legally ask a potential employee their sex and/or if they're pregnant, and now the federal government wants them to ask about vaccination status.

The fact that some people seem to want to give more power over our personal freedoms to political leaders of both parties these days is mindboggling to me
I can see asking about the vaccination status as that can adversely affect the health of co-workers. Pregnancy and gender, not so much. COVID is still a bit of a national emergency. We’re all in this situation together.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Mandating vaccines by private employers has gone on for a very long time. At least in healthcare it has. When I interned with Partners, that was the case as far back as 2002. If you didn't have the flu vaccine, you had to fill out paperwork stating why and were required to mask up Nov 1st to April 1st.

I don't see Covid being any different

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm just not aware those same Mexicans are going to help alleviate the staffing shortages in ski industry! ;)

Who's living in an alternative universe?
I thought the goal was to prevent the spread of Covid? That is the title of this thread.
It’s very reckless to allow what is happening and then threaten citizens with lockdowns again.

The hospitality industry has a lot of immigrants !

drjeff

Mandating vaccines by private employers has gone on for a very long time. At least in healthcare it has. When I interned with Partners, that was the case as far back as 2002. If you didn't have the flu vaccine, you had to fill out paperwork stating why and were required to mask up Nov 1st to April 1st.

The difference is that from an employers standpoint, there have been numerous worker's rights laws that have been passed, especially in the last decade, that have changed what an employer can/can't legally ask an employee. The line between what can and can't be asked, or asked of an employee by an employer has certainly changed on many fronts over time

Smellytele

Government employees = UNION

2Planker

The precedent was set in MA, 1905 Jacobson vs Massachusetts.
in Jacobson v Massachusetts, the US Supreme Court upheld the Cambridge, Mass, Board of Health’s authority to require vaccination against smallpox during a smallpox epidemic.....

It'll probably be tested again...

KustyTheKlown

fucking a. we eradicated smallpox and polio with a sense of national/international urgency and solidarity. we require vaccinations to go to public school. why should this be any different?

you don't want to be vaccinated? fine. you forego social security, unemployment benefits, medicare/medicaid, and education on the public side. you forfeit the privilege to work for certain companies, the privilege to enter certain private businesses, the privilege to travel on an airplane, etc. on the private side.

fuck your fucking freedoms.

employers, entertainment venues, restaurant groups etc are already taking the lead here. more will follow. pretty sure all of FAANG except for Amazon has a vax requirement now. union square hospitality group (danny meyer's restaurants - an industry leader) announced the same for employees and customers yesterday.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
fucking a. we eradicated smallpox and polio with a sense of national/international urgency and solidarity. we require vaccinations to go to public school. why should this be any different?

you don't want to be vaccinated? fine. you forego social security, unemployment benefits, medicare/medicaid, and education on the public side. you forfeit the privilege to work for certain companies, the privilege to enter certain private businesses, the privilege to travel on an airplane, etc. on the private side.

employers, entertainment venues, restaurant groups etc are already taking the lead here. more will follow. pretty sure all of FAANG except for Amazon has a vax requirement now. union square hospitality group (danny meyer's restaurants - an industry leader) announced the same for employees and customers yesterday.
I’m for vaccinations, lets get “All” the data before we mandate it. Ironically I know someone who wanted the shingles shot but the doctor would not give it to her because she wasn’t 50 . Guess what she got shingles and now has Trigeminal neuralgia. Apparently other people who got the Covid vaccine have had a rough time. Her reason for not getting the Covid vaccine. Let’s tap the breaks a little. More data please?

Last edited:

icecoast1

I’m for vacation… lets get “All” the data before we mandate it. Ironically I know someone who wanted the shingles shot but the doctor would not give it to her because she wasn’t 50 . Guess what she got shingles and now has Trigeminal neuralgia. Apparently other people who got the Covid vaccine have had a rough time. Her reason for not getting the Covid vaccine. Let’s tap the breaks a little. More data please?
How many years before the "if you took the ________ vaccine and are experiencing _______ you may be entitled to compensation" commercials start?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
How many years before the "if you took the ________ vaccine and are experiencing _______ you may be entitled to compensation" commercials start?
Lol 👍 I got the vaccine in April and my F’n arm still hurts .
I suspect that the vaccine companies will say “ It’s EUA and not approved so we’re not liable.

Double irony of my friend, She actually works in the Vaccine division of the company that created the shingles vaccine. If some people have there way here she would loose her job too.

Smellytele

Well I work with this guy and today he said “the vaccine doesn’t work just look at the break through cases in the latest from Mass. 74% of the people were fully vaccinated.”
He won’t get it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If y'all want more data that's fine. But the rest of us want to get on with our lives. So, feel free to sit on the sidelines and wait for that data, but don't expect to have full access to all activities, jobs, etc.

There has literally been no data to come out so far that makes me regret the jab. Not these breakthrough cases or the miniscule amount of bad reactions.

Sign me up for the booster too. Send a passport my way while we are at it.

thebigo

“Every single human infection with influenza A in the past 102 years is derived from that one introduction of the 1918 flu.”

Every person reading this is going to deal with covid for the rest of their life. It is time to stop stressing about covid and time to start learning how to live with covid.

2Planker

Well I work with this guy and today he said “the vaccine doesn’t work just look at the break through cases in the latest from Mass. 74% of the people were fully vaccinated.”
He won’t get it.
People are stupid when it comes to the math....

Overall - 165M Vacc given, something like 150K breakthru cases, works out to 0.09%.
That's about 1 in 1,000 vacc people will have a breakthru case

drjeff

If y'all want more data that's fine. But the rest of us want to get on with our lives. So, feel free to sit on the sidelines and wait for that data, but don't expect to have full access to all activities, jobs, etc.

There has literally been no data to come out so far that makes me regret the jab. Not these breakthrough cases or the miniscule amount of bad reactions.

Sign me up for the booster too. Send a passport my way while we are at it.
Sure seems like the risk of side effects from getting the vaccine are far lower than the risks of side effects from having gotten COVID.

And in BOTH instances the risk of side effects are very low

thebigo

It took >2000 years to eradicate small pox. We have been working on covid for a little over a year.