• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

icecoast1

Vail Resorts should be fun in a few years when thousands of people are fighting for charging spots for their EV's and Vail is charging outragous prices for the privilege to charge your car while you ski

drjeff

Vail Resorts should be fun in a few years when thousands of people are fighting for charging spots for their EV's and Vail is charging outragous prices for the privilege to charge your car while you ski
There are maybe a half dozen or so, still free, chargers at Mount Snow over by the Sundance Lodge. Doubting the free part will remain for too much longer.

1dog

Stopped in a Tesla mall site a few years ago - waiting for my Apple appt. ( why else would I be in a mall?) fellow said ' in two years they will stop free charging but look at it this way. Gas today is $2. charging your car is 25% of price of gas generally. So it is/was $.50 on a 300 mile charge. His calculation on a prepared sheet was 25 MPG at $2 would cost $24 and the charge would be $6.

Still free 4 years later? I can't answer that.
'doesn't mean we should blindly love and praise capitalism'
Kang, of course not, its actually the other way around with government. How many pages of IRS code? How many bureaucrats running EPA/NEA/FDA and on and on. . . .30 years ago an aide was standing in front of the USDA- a MASSIVE building if you have not seen it in DC. Congressman says to him, ' see that? Not one farmer in that entire building.'

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Got this notice with my Central Hudson bill today...........

MARKET SUPPLY PRICE NOTICE
International, national and regional forces continue to contribute to energy market supply price volatility. Standard rate electric supply prices increased from 13 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) in September to 16.9 cents per kWh, effective Oct. 12. Meanwhile, natural gas supply prices declined from 97.8 cents per hundred-cubic-feet (ccf) in September to 78.8 cents per ccf as of Oct. 3.
Supply costs are one component of your energy bill. Central Hudson purchases electricity and gas from third-party suppliers on behalf of customers. Supply rates continuously fluctuate, up and down, based on energy markets. These supply costs are not marked up by Central Hudson and Central Hudson does not profit from them.

Granite1

In addition to EV owners having to pay their fair share of highway taxes based on the miles they drive, they also need to pay a large surcharge for the electricity they use to charge their batteries. This would be to pay for the planned infrastructure to build charging stations.

skiur

In addition to EV owners having to pay their fair share of highway taxes based on the miles they drive, they also need to pay a large surcharge for the electricity they use to charge their batteries. This would be to pay for the planned infrastructure to build charging stations.
I agree with the EV owners have to pay their share of the highway taxes, but it doesn't seem like this will be difficult to implement. As for the surcharge for amount of electricity used, this has always happened near me, when you use a certain amount you are put into a different tier.

KustyTheKlown

right? wind power looks awesome, and solar power just sits in empty fields or on the top of flat buildings. the tired ass arguments of old angry white men in here are lame as fuck.

Smellytele

right? wind power looks awesome, and solar power just sits in empty fields or on the top of flat buildings. the tired ass arguments of old angry white men in here are lame as fuck.
Says the man who lives in an ugly city where open space is already nonexistent.

Personally not against wind or solar.

KustyTheKlown

as an aside, i rented a tesla3 this past weekend in portland.

some stray observations
- i should have done a minimal amount of research before i got the car, because i couldn't figure out how to turn the thing on for way too long. eventually realized i needed to place the key card at a random unmarked spot behind the cupholders while touching the brake
- the 'fixed gear bicycle' drive style takes a lot of getting used to. the car not coasting when you stop accelerating is a weird sensation. apparently this can be toggled in settings.
- i had the lowest level tesla, and the range was not very good. our airbnb hosts were tesla drivers and they let us plug into their home charger one overnight, but on other days i had to budget 20-30 min for a supercharger, and my routes were entirely dependent upon the availability of superchargers. we went to the coast one day and up to mount hood the other day, but we had to very specifically plan our routes and timing and not deviate much. EVs with low range take away a lot of the spontaneity and 'freedom' of driving
- once i figured out the quirks and got comfortable with charging logistics, it was a very fun ride. bigtime acceleration. some very fun features in the operating system, and the integrated streaming video, spotify, etc with full computer monitor interface was pretty fun.
- i would never use this car for skiing, especially the kind of skiing drives i do. if it had 400 mile range, maybe. i think a hybrid SUV is prob my next car. still have some years before that.

trackbiker

- i would never use this car for skiing, especially the kind of skiing drives i do. if it had 400 mile range, maybe. i think a hybrid SUV is prob my next car. still have some years before that.
For most people a plug-in hybrid would make the most sense. The battery gets about 40 miles range. The average car is driven 12,724 mi./yr, That's 35 mi./day. Most days you would drive on the battery only. When you go on a long trip the gas engine cuts in after about 40 miles with plenty of range. One person I know who has one gets gas about once a month and they do well over the average miles per year.

MidnightJester

as an aside, i rented a tesla3 this past weekend in portland.

some stray observations
- i should have done a minimal amount of research before i got the car, because i couldn't figure out how to turn the thing on for way too long. eventually realized i needed to place the key card at a random unmarked spot behind the cupholders while touching the brake
- the 'fixed gear bicycle' drive style takes a lot of getting used to. the car not coasting when you stop accelerating is a weird sensation. apparently this can be toggled in settings.
- i had the lowest level tesla, and the range was not very good. our airbnb hosts were tesla drivers and they let us plug into their home charger one overnight, but on other days i had to budget 20-30 min for a supercharger, and my routes were entirely dependent upon the availability of superchargers. we went to the coast one day and up to mount hood the other day, but we had to very specifically plan our routes and timing and not deviate much. EVs with low range take away a lot of the spontaneity and 'freedom' of driving
- once i figured out the quirks and got comfortable with charging logistics, it was a very fun ride. bigtime acceleration. some very fun features in the operating system, and the integrated streaming video, spotify, etc with full computer monitor interface was pretty fun.
Great real world results. Thank you

MidnightJester

I ask people driving Teslas how much does it cost per mile to drive that thing. None of them know. :unsure:

Perhaps they cannot handle the truth❓
Cause they really don't know. All the public non free chargers have a crazy difference in costs. Do you or don't you have a membership and or location can vary the charge cost from easily 35c KW to double that I believe depending on Charger owner.

EV chargers are going to become the new ATM/Pay phone with random fees and charges added by the owner wherever he can install them.

Level 2 or Level 3 matters and they also have a squishy amount of KW you can feed a EV's battery before its fully charged. Temp and EV/Electrical load greatly cause modern EV's to recalculate driving ranges and battery space I believe. It is not locked like the gallonage in a regular Gas tank with easier inputs to figure out costs.

Last edited:

kickstand

This past summer we went to France for a week. We stayed in Paris, but spent 2 nights in Strasbourg. When my wife rented a car, she did it online thru a 3rd party (Expedia or something) and rented a "class" of car, thinking we would get a BMW or Audi, maybe. We got a Tesla. At first, we were pretty excited. Then, the realization of needing to charge the car and planning our stops around charging set in. Not something we even considered when we decided to do the side trip to Strasbourg. The trip is roughly 300 miles. We couldn't make it on a single charge. We didn't have a good map of where the chargers were, outside of the Tesla superchargers. Not good cell phone reception in the French countryside to find charging stations.

There are many more details to the story, but the gist of it is we wasted 5-6 hours of that part of the trip just dealing with charging related issues. That was really the last thing we wanted to deal with or spend time on, especially on vacation in a foreign country. I had heard Europe was all-in on EVs, but I was expecting many more charging stations. Maybe it was where in France we were driving just didn't have the infrastructure for it. I don't know. But never again will I get an EV for a drive of any serious length.

It was a pretty sweet ride though.......