• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Electric Cars/Trucks and winter weather testing with results. What do you think? Who has taken one in Freezing cold long distance to a Ski mountain?

BodeMiller1

Salt damages the cars, not so much the roads.
I've rebuilt at least 4 miles of bridges in N.H. and VT. The salt gets into a crack and then hits the rebar. In the old days the rebar was not coated.

You have to chip out ALL of the bad concrete and iron and patch the bridge. This is very expensive, time consuming and dangerous. Sometimes your 200 feet above a river or gorge. I get your point, butt there are many kinds of salt and they all do the same thing.

Edd

One "rule" I live by is drive / own Fords. I've had a VW Jetta, Dodge (Mitsubishi) pickup and Mercury Cougar 5L V8.
Food for thought if you cost out a Ford Vs. Mercedes which is more expensive?

If you look at the brakes the Merecedes are soft and you get brake dust, butt it's a smother maybe faster stop. I don't care about that, I just want the car to stop pretty much where I'd like it,

Most of the industry is component driven. For example, SEL is a body type you see from many manufacturers who build small SUVs. Is a Ford EDGE SEL better than a Toyota Meow SEL? I don't care.

One thing I spoil myself with are windshields. When you drive fast they get pitted and it makes me (not sure the word), so I get new glass every 120,000 or so depending on if I hit a deer or Moosey.

Steering wheels on some expensive cars are stainless. This sucks, sunlight comes in and reflects into my eyes so I black them out with electrical tape. (I always ski with a black diamond on the rear of my left ski and two on my right. This keeps people from banging their tips into my equipment in lift lines... (it doesn't always work o_O))
What the fuck 🤣

kbroderick

machski

Electric cars are definitely here to stay, but mandating them exclusively, not even to allow hybrids (though I do believe CA will allow a miniscule fraction like 10% hybrid after 2035 still) is nuts. Someday maybe the tech will be there, but 300 mile ranges dropping to what, half in cold weather or so, are not adequate to replace hybrid/ICEs yet. And we can compare how lights have dropped in energy required for LEDs vs Incandescent bulbs but the end goal is to produce light. Yes, there are more efficient waya to make light that run cool so you don't waste energy making a ton of heat at the same time. To my knowledge, Electric vehicles require a weighted object to be propelled by some sort of electric motor. To my knowledge, no new "motor" tech has been discovered to provide this power at a lower energy requirement. So the best you can do to make electric cars more efficient is to reduce weight. The batteries for range are heavy, which means the car itself already needs to be light.

Electric car tech is here and it should be a component of the world auto fleet. But the infrastructure and even the car tech isn't there for 100% now, nor by 2035. No reason not to move towards a more robust network for it, but I don't see it practical in the timespan some imagine or have regulated already. And while they are zero emitters at the point of drive, electric cars over their entire life cycle are more energy consumptive currently than their gas counterparts and quite a bit dirtier to the planet too when all is taken into account. And the batteries? Currently not really all that recyclable. That needs to be a priority, how to make batteries fully recyclable. Otherwise, what do we do with all the shot ones? Stuff them in Yucca Mountain with all the spent Nuclear waste?

NYDB

electric cars over their entire life cycle are more energy consumptive currently than their gas counterparts and quite a bit dirtier to the planet too when all is taken into account

do you have something to back that up? Genuinely interested how they calculate that. EPA says otherwise but of course they do

IceEidolon

Rare earth metals recovery in the mid to high 90% range is advertised by multiple US recycling companies. Some companies also repurpose worn but functional packs as stationary storage.

BodeMiller1

If you could mine it. Other wise worthless.
Agree, no way it's commercially viabIe. I used to rock hound in the area a lot. I had a place where the bear and Sunday river met. People pan for gold there and say they get specs every time. Great trout stream though. If you were allowed to dig out the bottom of Frenchman's hole... The best stuff around there is watermelon tourmaline as far as I know it's the only semiprecious stone up there worth much.

On I89 in New Hampshire there is a rock outcrop between New London and the Vermont border. In the middle of the north and south lanes, it is jagged and Black. It's very radioactive. There are a couple of places in Northern N.H. that are fenced off. It's pretty rich in uranium, butt you have to refine the hell out of it. If you were to do this: first you'd die (without the right equipment), second you would have much to explain. Getting caught ducking ropes would be nothing...🏹

machski

do you have something to back that up? Genuinely interested how they calculate that. EPA says otherwise but of course they do
I'll have to dig, but I'm not talking about their driving lifecycle. That will beat a ICE vehicle anyday. I'm talking when you factor in all the production energy to build the vehicle and how it will be recycled or junked at the end of it's useful life. I've seen plenty of articles but didn't clip or bookmark them.

machski

Rare earth metals recovery in the mid to high 90% range is advertised by multiple US recycling companies. Some companies also repurpose worn but functional packs as stationary storage.

So yes it can probably be done wide scale, but currently that doesn't really happen (wide scale anyway). They will need to figure this out and make it an almost universal process. Every ounce of rare earth metals will be needed to expand electric vehicles to all for sure.

abc

Electric cars are definitely here to stay, but mandating them exclusively, not even to allow hybrids (though I do believe CA will allow a miniscule fraction like 10% hybrid after 2035 still) is nuts.
It’s just politics.

The politicians just pull a random number out of the calendar that‘s far enough away. They probably wouldn’t be around by the time the date come to be reality. Or they figure the public would have forgotten about it by then…

In the worst case, just blame it on the other party for why it can’t be achieved.