• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ‚๐ŸŽฟ๐Ÿ˜€

MidnightJester

Not much new information:

This new tid-bit was included.
โ€œIt evolved to include up to 21 lost skiers, and what happened was a number of groups in the backside grouped up into one large group,โ€ says Chief Montgomery.

Zand

Bubble is down today, triple running instead. According to the snow report this was planned due to snowmaking. However, Superstar being down all morning is not pre planned.

Apparently people were stuck on Skyeship for 85 minutes yesterday according to a poster on KZone. Crazy...glad I never ended up at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also, I like this picture I took from Catwalk yesterday. The view alone is worth the hike up and the serenity at the click in spot just a couple hundred feet away from the hordes of people unloading the Gondola is a cool feeling. I know it's not much of a trail, but I always try to hit it once every time I go to K.

PXL_20240122_193604396.jpg

Last edited:

MidnightJester

Lost and rescued backcountry skiers & riders at Killington update.
Kristel Killary, whoโ€™s the brand marketing and communications manager for Killington Resort, said to the Rutland Herald that these people ducked a rope and then ventured into the backcountry. Itโ€™s against Killingtonโ€™s safety code to drop under ropes and go into the backcountry. Due to these rules, Killington Resort has fired the employee who went into the backcountry. The Vermont ski resort is still determining whether they will be pulling the passes of those who dropped the ropes.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I still don't get it as the article isn't clear at all. Is this a common sidecountry ski spot like the Back Bowls at Smuggs or did 23 people all go to a completely non skiable area within a few hours of each ornery?

eatskisleep

I assume itโ€™s like TBrook at Wildcat. Sidecountry then you have to hit the traverse back to the mountain or youโ€™ll hike a half mile if you ski it to the road. Only at K your 2.5 miles if you miss the traverse?

KustyTheKlown

Itโ€™s the area directly straight from the snowdon6 unload. Iโ€™m not sure how early youโ€™d need to really bang a hard right to wind up back on the right side of the long trail ridge. If you descend proper itโ€™s a long slog to anything

RH29

Apparently people were stuck on Skyeship for 85 minutes yesterday according to a poster on KZone
Feel like this nugget is getting skimmed over. An hour and a half? That gondola gets worse by the season, a full rehab might need to come before new Ramshead/Superstar lifts at this rate.

Forgot about Needles Eye being down for much of this season. And the hunk of junk that is the Snowshed lift. K needs to get their house in order.

Last edited:

Zand

Feel like this nugget is getting skimmed over. An hour and a half? That gondola gets worse by the season, a full rehab might need to come before new Ramshead/Superstar lifts at this rate.

Forgot about Needles Eye being down for much of this season. And the hunk of junk that is the Snowshed lift. K needs to get their house in order.
I read that it happened around 2:00 and if that's the case then I'm lucky I subconsciously kind of missed it. According to my pictures in my phone I was somewhere in Julio at 1:40 and finishing Juanita at 2:15. I know I skied Vertigo/Stairs between those two runs. The whole way down I was planning on taking Skyeship back up to check out something like Somewhere/Nowhere but ended up taking the traverse out of the Stairs back to the top of Snowshed instead. Might've saved myself a nice hour and a half breakdown.

Zand

skiur

Word is now that needles quad will not run this year as they can't get the needed part to fix it.

drjeff

Word is now that needles quad will not run this year as they can't get the needed part to fix it.
I suspect that this scenario, older generation HS lifts that were initially installed in the late 80's/90's, and now have 30+ years of service on them, is going to become more common, with the challenge to the industry of looking at a significant infrastructure expenditure. Just thinking about Killington/Pico, the reality that Skyeship, Needles, Snowshed, Ramshead, Superstar and both Quads at Pico are all in that vintage. You're looking at likely well over 50 million to replace those lifts when its time, and it seems on the surface that the time is drawing closer and closer.

And Killington certainly isn't alone with situations like this