• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killllington πŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸŽΏπŸ‚πŸ‚πŸŽΏπŸ˜€

ColdRain&Snow

Got there fri sat sun, Friday was pretty great, Saturday was cloudy am and showers later in the day, Sunday started pretty foggy, got warm quick and everything we hit was soft/wet by noon.

We parked at bear lodge, not sure if I read it here, kzone, or both, but that’s a great place to start, both lift had short lines every day. The upper lifts were mostly ski on to short line.

We ended up at a place called mountain top sat night, one of our group was told by a friend it’s worth the drive and they took reservations. Nice place to drive to when the roads are clear.

skiur

Rumors on kzone are that alterra is going to buy K and make it full Ikon. Not sure how I feel about that. I rarely ski Saturdays so I wouldn't get the worst of the crowds but I do ski Sundays and those would be busier.

djd66

Rumors on kzone are that alterra is going to buy K and make it full Ikon. Not sure how I feel about that. I rarely ski Saturdays so I wouldn't get the worst of the crowds but I do ski Sundays and those would be busier.
I saw 1 post about this, are there others? (link?)

jimmywilson69

There have been several instances of it being mentioned.

That place is fully unhinged this winter with conspiracy theories on why Ops have been changed/cut back.

cdskier

There have been several instances of it being mentioned.

That place is fully unhinged this winter with conspiracy theories on why Ops have been changed/cut back.

I haven't been paying much attention to K...what Ops were changed/cut back this year?

jimmywilson69

based on discussions over there, snowmaking not at full capacity, lifts not running when scheduled, cut backs on little things like bar food menus, etc.

I talked to a guy who worked there when I was up there last week and he said their business was down 70% over Christmas due to the shit weather. so yeah there probably have been cut backs.

No real drop in from Solimano either, probably because the place is so unhinged...

Joshua

Pic on the needles quad about a week after it opened. Great lift and great area of the resort

Attachments

• 20240221_091235.jpg
    20240221_091235.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 19

thetrailboss

Staff member
POWDR indeed is a target for Alterra. Whether that comes to be or not is ……. ?

KustyTheKlown

dont stowe killington!

also, have skied k a bunch of saturdays and dont really understand the fuss. they spread people awesomely. just stay off the 6 and the k1 from like 9:30 - 11:30

djd66

I have to say, the pass set up they have now kind of screws the Kpass holder - as they can't go to Ikon with their K pass. If they made it a limited Ikon resort (like Aspen), I would think Kpass holders would be happy

thetrailboss

Staff member
Unlimited K and Snowbird!! :ROFLMAO:. That should take the pressure off of Solitude :p
So two things. First, the rumors on a chairlift shared by regular skiers and riders probably don't move the needle for me. However, in this instance, the industry has reason to believe that Alterra is targeting POWDR as an acquisition:

https://www.saminfo.com/news/sam-he...ation-vehicle-for-alterra?ref=snowologywx.com

It kind of makes sense because POWDR is operated on a shoestring budget since John's piggybank was Dad, and Dad has now been dead for a while. Apparently, John's focus is on Leucadia, his Dad's business. POWDER is in a tough business with low margins and honestly is being led by a weak management team. The CEO is in his 30's and just got his MBA. I honestly could see John cashing in.

On the second point, Snowbird is John's play toy and he has a strong emotional connection with it. He reminisced on a Ski Utah podcast about the days growing up when his old man would kick John and his brother out of the Snowbird ski house so that he could conduct business. John and his brother would freely roam Snowbird all day with no supervision. Based upon that nostalgia, I could completely see John retaining Snowbird as his rich man's play toy. One ski resort for the memories and a ton of money to let it coast. That's not great news for Bird skiers and riders like me. That said, Snowbird has always been odd because it has always been a rich man's play toy. It was for Dick Bass despite his efforts to make it a stand-alone business.

Last edited: