• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
Do the forests not benefit as well, asking for a friend?

Complaining about a 1 dollar donation on a pass that costs anywhere from $400 to $1000 really seems like grasping at straws, notably given your environmental impact as a skier probably warrants it anyways.

As for the tax break, something tells me Vail isn't relying on that. It could just depreciate one of its new lifts at a faster rate and realize a gain substantially more significant if it so desired.

It's not the monetary amount or cause that's a problem, it's the method of collection.

Opt in vs Opt out.

Any added monetary cost in commerce should always be an opt in transaction.

When situations like this happen and a retailer asks me for a small donation, I typically do. If they automatically put that donation on and say, "Hey, we are donating a dollar to the Loyal Order of Water Buffalos because it's an organization we believe in unless you say no"; I will not donate.

It's as basic as saying please.

raisingarizona

Just to be clear, USFS is part of the USDA - which has a $224 (BILLION dollar) budget USFS has a $10 billion budget. Underfunded? How much more do they need?
F if I know but I can tell you from my experience that most branches are extremely underfunded and understaffed for the workload that is expected of them.

BenedictGomez

It’s right in the cart immediately after you select a pass and clearly labelled optional. You must have missed it on the first step. Also isn’t new.
It wasn't Thursday night when I tried this, so they must have fixed it. I tried 3 times.

Also, I navigated in through "quick renewal" (not sure if that made a difference or not) which took me right to the payment page.

raisingarizona

I don't know but $10 billion for 193 million acres is $52 per acre per year.
It costs roughly between $380.00 to $580.00 per acre just for a thinning project which is where a lot of the current demand is for USFS employees workload.

Shoot, they blow millions every year just fighting lawsuits filed by environmentalist groups.

A company like Vail is providing millions of dollars to the FS districts that they operate ski areas on. That goes a long way towards your relationship with your landlord and the decision makers.

thebigo

Skied wildcat today for first time in 3 years and it definitely did not suck. Conditions were per expectation, lifts ran and staff was cordial. There has been some investment in the facilities: new bathrooms, new tables in the bar, new bags shelves and new paint. The southern NH vail properties may still be a mess but appears the cat is on the mend.

Would consider vail blackout pass for wildcat alone if I wasn't already tied in elsewhere.

Attachments

• 20240414_124839.jpg
    20240414_124839.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240414_124837.jpg
    20240414_124837.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240414_122209.jpg
    20240414_122209.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
  • 20240414_101730.jpg
    20240414_101730.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24

snoseek

Skied wildcat today for first time in 3 years and it definitely did not suck. Conditions were per expectation, lifts ran and staff was cordial. There has been some investment in the facilities: new bathrooms, new tables in the bar, new bags shelves and new paint. The southern NH vail properties may still be a mess but appears the cat is on the mend.

Would consider vail blackout pass for wildcat alone if I wasn't already tied in elsewhere.
I'm taking next year off at the cat but thought things were definitely better. Attitash as well, that place skis great now. Early season terrain rollout is still an issue IMO

cdskier

WTF - CAT CLOSED for “Employee Ski Day”
Really ?

I don't really understand the issue here. Original closing day was scheduled for this past weekend. Then they announced they were extending the season for an additional weekend. Today was never a day they were supposed to be open. So using a day they were already planning to be closed to give back to their employees seems like a great plan.

Honestly, some of the recent "Vail complaints" in this thread are really kind of silly.

Edd

Back when my wife worked at Cranmore (over a decade ago) I think they did employee ski day there also.