• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
I bought some Dukes and skins around 2012 thinking I'd potentially be into some skinning or side country; mainly the latter. Used them 3 times and said fuck that. I don't have enough time as is to do as much downhill skiing as I like. So, I felt like I was wasting time. Sold off the Dukes quickly after because their downhill performance was terrible in comparison to a proper downhill binding. Maybe the newer AT bindings are pretty good for downhill, but the Dukes were decidedly not.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bought some Dukes and skins around 2012 thinking I'd potentially be into some skinning or side country; mainly the latter. Used them 3 times and said fuck that. I don't have enough time as is to do as much downhill skiing as I like. So, I felt like I was wasting time. Sold off the Dukes quickly after because their downhill performance was terrible in comparison to a proper downhill binding. Maybe the newer AT bindings are pretty good for downhill, but the Dukes were decidedly not.
Same here. I have skins and BCA Trekkers. I last used them in 2012.

BenedictGomez

I'm more self-aware than both of you as I inherently knew I'm far too lazy for backcountry skiing!

EDIT: Although I did do some hike-to skiing this season, but only after the lift took me the first 9,700 feet!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm more self-aware than both of you as I inherently knew I'm far too lazy for backcountry skiing!

EDIT: Although I did do some hike-to skiing this season, but only after the lift took me the first 9,700 feet!

In my 20s, I would hike the Chin at Stowe all of the time. Like 30% of my ski days and sometimes multiple times a day. From the gondola I should add, not the base.

My jump into touring was because all of sudden AT bindings were being mass produced and I thought if I loved hiking the Chin back in the day, maybe skinning is something I'd enjoy. I didn't.

The big difference was during my 20s, I was a bartending ski bum, living in Stowe with lots of free time. In my 30s I had a serious career, limited free time and didn't live right next to a mountain.

But even if I was retired with loads of free time, I'd have to be seriously freaking bored with life to want to do the AT thing again.

Edd

My skinning history is similar to the above. I think it was the 2009/10 season when I bought a setup. Practiced skinning up Bretton Woods on two different days, and another day skinned up the Cog on Mt Washington (only made it partway up). It was either that same season or the next I blew my ACL skiing on that setup (K2 Hardsides with Marker Barons) and I (perhaps irrationally) lost faith in those bindings. Knee didn’t feel normal for a couple of seasons and I never went back to it.

Dickc

My fun is the downhill part. I decided a LONG time ago, if it did not have a lift, I was not going to ski it. Why work uphill when there is a chairlift?

Since COVID, I have become an avid skinner. It does take some time to develop your way of doing it. There are many pieces to the puzzle to make it a good skin. You also need to plan for obstacles. Lots of extra gear and knowing when to turn around. I skin inbounds for the most part so that takes away much of the risk.

BodeMiller1

Exercise?
You can see what you're up against and check for hazards along the way. You're not bound by any silly in bound rules, it's just you. Meow

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_080646.jpeg
    IMG_20240512_080646.jpeg
    828.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240512_080925.jpeg
    IMG_20240512_080925.jpeg
    934.4 KB · Views: 11

deadheadskier

Staff member
Exercise?

I go to the gym at 5:30 AM , 5-6 days a week for exercise. I primarily do it to maintain my downhill skiing performance as I get old. Really only a recent phenomenon over the past few years because I realized my lack of fitness was catching up with me on the slopes.

I don't think I'll ever want to take away time spent going downhill in favor of going uphill. Hell I get annoyed by fixed grip chairs even because I feel it takes too long to get to the downhill. Or crowded major resorts with lift lines

To each their own though.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
5 days a week at the gym will have many benefits beyond skiing.

We're moving to the mountains (Adk) within the next 12 months. I'm thinking nordic or earning for busy weekends and holidays. I have a nordic background, I skied for ten years before I ever rode a lift. It definitely affects the way I think about skiing. I really like to exercise outdoors.

I do find that faster lifts are more likely to be associated with crowded resorts with lift lines.

BodeMiller1

Never took to "skiing up hill" I carry boots and skis. Use the poles and an orange sativa to gain an edge, when I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide and I stop and...

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_153731.jpeg
    IMG_20240408_153731.jpeg
    526.3 KB · Views: 2

thebigo

I really like to exercise outdoors.
Agreed, indoor cardio drives me insane, ended up selling every piece of excercise equipment i have ever owned. Tried road cycling but knees revolted.

We walk our dog 2+ miles everyday, fortunate to live in area with abundant trails for an off leash dog. I also lift for an hour over lunch and do dryland with the kids in backyard on non-skiing days.

Smellytele

When I only have an hour or 2 and wouldn’t get my money’s worth buying a ticket uphill it is. It is exercise for me. Going to the gym sucks! Biking 8 months(April - Nov) out of the year and skiing 7 months (Nov-May) obviously with overlapping.

BenedictGomez

I'm thinking nordic or earning for busy weekends and holidays. I have a nordic background, I skied for ten years before I ever rode a lift.

Never did it in my life, but I volunteered at the World Cup event here a few months back & now I want to try it. The entire area is loaded with XC trails in winter and if nothing else I think it would be a good way to be outside on the EPIC blackout dates.