• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski sundown 1/12/14 after the rain

2knees

After all these years I can't believe the stuff people get sucked into. I love you Brian but damn did you go after that like a fly to shit. It's sundown guys, it IS expensive for what it offers. With slightly younger kids then mine, it's cheaper, lift ticket wise, at any major VT resort. Sundown is damn successful though and because of that it's hard to argue with their business model.

bvibert

Staff member
After all these years I can't believe the stuff people get sucked into. I love you Brian but damn did you go after that like a fly to shit. It's sundown guys, it IS expensive for what it offers. With slightly younger kids then mine, it's cheaper, lift ticket wise, at any major VT resort. Sundown is damn successful though and because of that it's hard to argue with their business model.

It is expensive, there's no denying that, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't arguing that it wasn't. What I was saying was that it works, charging less wouldn't work. And yes, I did get sucked into this, sometimes I just can't help myself... :lol:

jack97

hey 2knees, I agree sundown is on the costly side for what they offer but you can look at it from other ways. Wachusetts and Nashoba are on the just as costly for what they offer but these places have short drives for a large customer base. People short on time will pay that.

at least sundown offers a saving card and the season pass is not outrageous in cost.

Tin

They have a great set up. The only time I ever go is when I'm at my GF's parents house in East Haddam and it is a solid hour trip. For most southern New Englanders it is get up early, drive 2-3 hours, spend an extra $30 on a lift ticket, an extra $30+ in gas, and then 2-3 hours back home. It's a long day and at least an extra $60 to ski, or you drive an hour each way and spend much less to get your fix. Sundown and WaWa have perfect locations and can get away with charging more than they offer. Hell, Yawgoo Valley in my state lives off of the people who don't feel like driving to WaWa and dealing with the crowds. $45 for a full day or $38 for a half on weekends for 240' of vert.

2knees

hey 2knees, I agree sundown is on the costly side for what they offer but you can look at it from other ways. Wachusetts and Nashoba are on the just as costly for what they offer but these places have short drives for a large customer base. People short on time will pay that.

at least sundown offers a saving card and the season pass is not outrageous in cost.

trust me, i know what they offer. I just look at it as a great place for me to go to get some bump skiing in close by but when it comes to bringing the family with me, i do it, but it really does add up for what the kids get. I love the place and the people that run it but is it a great value for my family? Not really. But we will go and I will plunk down the bucks at least 2 or 3 times for me and the kids and upwards of 7 or 8 times by myself. they get their fair share of my disposable income and always will. :lol:

powhunter

Can't even see planb420 in that third pic..that shit was so deep!!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

jack97

They should be good with the traffic today...Bumps on exhibition as well...Heading over there tomorrow

Was there this today. Great from 9:00 am to 12:00, then it was flat out packed with kids. N'easter's bumps frontside and backside was soft. It still has sections with icy flat, right at the halfway point. Bottom half was nice.
20140119_114018 (2).jpg

Ex bumps was good, troughs are not deep enuf.
20140119_114254 (2).jpg

MadMadWorld

Was there this today. Great from 9:00 am to 12:00, then it was flat out packed with kids. N'easter's bumps frontside and backside was soft. It still has sections with icy flat, right at the halfway point. Bottom half was nice.
View attachment 10470

Ex bumps was good, troughs are not deep enuf.
View attachment 10471

Still looks like they have too much space. Seems like they won't form on they're own and will need a good storm and/or snowmaking to form properly.