• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

T.o.

Paul

As a fan of the Philthydelphia Iggles I could say plenty of negative things about Me-O. I'll refrain until the truth about whatever happened comes out (if ever)

I don't think it was a suicide attempt, likely was a stupid misunderstanding that got totally blown out of proportion. The hospital would not have released him so soon if he really had intended to hurt himself.

I will admit, though, that I am experiencing much Schadenfreude over the fact that this is putting a big 'ol hurt on the Fat Tuna, Jerry (The Crypt-keeper) Jones, and the whole Cowboys organization.

JimG.

Staff member
Problem is, TO has enough money to have a "posse". Generally poeple who are interested in TO's money and not concern about TO best interest. Driving home last nite, WEEI was making fun of TO's publicist, she said that TO has 25 million reasons live. Feel sorry for the guy when he attracts theses kind of people.

Money attracts all kinds of crap...there will always be a posse ready to grab money and run away with it. Just another reason it won't make someone happy.

I know more than a few miserable wealthy folks, and I know alot of very happy poor folks. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Paul

Money attracts all kinds of crap...there will always be a posse ready to grab money and run away with it. Just another reason it won't make someone happy.

I know more than a few miserable wealthy folks, and I know alot of very happy poor folks. Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm".

Gregg Easterbrook wrote some pretty good stuff along those lines. I haven't read his book, other than excerpts, but this is kinda the crux of it. The book is called "The Pleasure Paradox" and explores the theory that despite living in a society where most people enjoy relative wealth, success, good health, etc... they still tend to be miserable, and getting worse.
He made a really good point in his latest TMQ column that points out that what really would make people happier is not money, but more leisure time. Money is something replaceable, time isn't. I found this interesting because that's how I always have lived. When I used to work on wage, and had the ability to work unlimited OT from time and 1/2 to 2Time, I used to refuse it.
Got a lot of crap from my co-workers about what a dumb-ass I was for not working all weekend, but as I used to say, what good is the extra money, if you don't have the time to enjoy it?

/tangent off
//Thread hijack over
///back to your regularly scheduled thread

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Sure does, it makes me realize that there are both rich and poor dumb people... :p

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't really care about about this guy, don't really feel sorry for him. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. Ah nevermind, I don't really care about that either.

If I had his kind of money I'd already be out sailing around the world by now. Which brings me to another point which is unrelated- the fact that these people don't retire earlier makes you think they must really enjoy doing what they do. Which does kinda make me feel bad for them- the most enjoyable activity they can find in their lives is a simple little ball game? Sucks to be you, dude.

Grassi21

I don't really care about about this guy, don't really feel sorry for him. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person. Ah nevermind, I don't really care about that either.

If I had his kind of money I'd already be out sailing around the world by now. Which brings me to another point which is unrelated- the fact that these people don't retire earlier makes you think they must really enjoy doing what they do. Which does kinda make me feel bad for them- the most enjoyable activity they can find in their lives is a simple little ball game? Sucks to be you, dude.

One of the most enjoyable things in your life is sliding down a hill on ice and if you are lucky enough pow (I would get banned from AZ if I mentioned the other stuff I heard you like to do). Do you plan on retiring from skiing early? I ski and get little rubber balls fired at my head and beat people with my stick. To each his own...

This thread has brought out the argumentative side of me a bit. I'm just not big on the whole judgement thing.

2knees

the fact that these people don't retire earlier makes you think they must really enjoy doing what they do. Which does kinda make me feel bad for them- the most enjoyable activity they can find in their lives is a simple little ball game? Sucks to be you, dude.

huh? how do you know its the most enjoyable activity they can find? A) it is their job.
B) just because something is dangerous doesnt mean they should retire early. They play a dangerous sport at the highest level. Competitive nature (here we go again) probably drives a great many to continue as long as they can. That and they probably enjoy it too, but at what level it sits on their fun-meter, none of us can say. Sailing is probably dangerous. If you were to get rich doing it and not quit at a young age, does that somehow mean we would be obligated to think the most enjoyable activity you can find is paddling a simple little boat around? Or is sailing somehow cool, and football just a stupid game? Maybe its in each persons personal view of the activity.

JimG.

Staff member
The thread has been hijacked!!!

Just got a call from TO...he's going to blow his head off if we don't get back on topic.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
huh? how do you know its the most enjoyable activity they can find? A) it is their job.
B) just because something is dangerous doesnt mean they should retire early. They play a dangerous sport at the highest level. Competitive nature (here we go again) probably drives a great many to continue as long as they can. That and they probably enjoy it too, but at what level it sits on their fun-meter, none of us can say. Sailing is probably dangerous. If you were to get rich doing it and not quit at a young age, does that somehow mean we would be obligated to think the most enjoyable activity you can find is paddling a simple little boat around? Or is sailing somehow cool, and football just a stupid game? Maybe its in each persons personal view of the activity.

If you're paddling while you're sailing, you're def. doing something wrong...

2knees

The thread has been hijacked!!!

Just got a call from TO...he's going to blow his head off if we don't get back on topic.

If i read anymore of this nonsense, i'm gonna blow my own head off.

best line i heard this morning was from T.O. himself. He said a man of his STATUE would never kill himself.

2knees

let me try it this way, to be less abrasive. In matters of personal preference, there is no right or wrong.

Paul

If i read anymore of this nonsense, i'm gonna blow my own head off.

best line i heard this morning was from T.O. himself. He said a man of his STATUE would never kill himself.

Maybe he and Mike Tyson can go fade off into BOLIVIAN together.

jack97

Maybe he and Mike Tyson can go fade off into BOLIVIAN together.

Off to a tangent....I was watching some of Tysons's earlier fights from ESPNC. I was just amazed at how respectful he was to his opponent after knocking them out. Later on in his carrer, totally different person when he gain more fame and money.

Paul

Off to a tangent....I was watching some of Tysons's earlier fights from ESPNC. I was just amazed at how respectful he was to his opponent after knocking them out. Later on in his carrer, totally different person when he gain more fame and money.

...and lost what little mind he actually had. Cus D'Amato was the glue that held "Iron" Mike together. Once Cus died, that was it. Bolivian, baby, bolivian.....

JimG.

Staff member
...and lost what little mind he actually had. Cus D'Amato was the glue that held "Iron" Mike together. Once Cus died, that was it. Bolivian, baby, bolivian.....

Well, since we're off topic anyway, D'Amato may have been the person who temporarily put Mike on the right path, but alot had to do with Cus' own obssession with his place in boxing history. To a degree, he used Tyson to secure that spot. Many of the people who were around them in the 80's admit that Cus coddled Tyson and looked the other way when he behaved badly. When Tyson needed discipline, there was nobody to give it to him.

As much as boxing was the best thing that ever happened to Mike, it was also the worst thing in the end.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
At his press conference his wife/girlfriend(?) said he had 25 million reasons not to kill himself. Have you noticed that when he is not in the spotlight he does something to put himself right back into the glare of the cameras. He is a publicity hound, why else would you have a publicist on the payroll?

JimG.

Staff member
At his press conference his wife/girlfriend(?) said he had 25 million reasons not to kill himself.

That was his publicist...I question her grasp of good PR tactics with that comment she made.

Although what she probably wanted to say was, "I've got a few million reasons to make sure TO stays alive so he better not try anything stupid like that again".