• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

River19

Well, I have now heard from multiple people what is going on here. Apparently Q has sent the local high schools retroactive "invoices" for slope time...to the tune of $10,000 each. Before there was any uproar, Mr. Stenger stepped in and reversed that, but Q has said he will bill folks next year. One high school, my alma mater, is considering alternative venues...including the Lyndon Outing Club (and adding snowmaking to it).

There you have it. Complete assholes.

I hope that folks can give Q some more constructive feedback so that he changes his mind and stops burning bridges.

Wow. That guy never ceases to amaze me.......I've never seen someone jump from one avoidable pile of shit to another so consistently. It's like he runs to conflict for sport.....

MEtoVTSkier

Why, why, why doesn't that surprise me? Screw it, let him burn all the bridges and go bankrupt, then the place can be had for fire-sale pricing. It sure would make a nice community run resort.

I'm guessing he tried to bill them without having a contract with the schools that notified them that use of the mountain wasn't free?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. That guy never ceases to amaze me.......I've never seen someone jump from one avoidable pile of shit to another so consistently. It's like he runs to conflict for sport.....

I think that the idea that he has run out many employees in an effort to rehire folks later on to justify the EB-5 funding might logically explain what has otherwise been irrational action.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Why would anyone go work for him other than a lack of transportation? I'd commute to Jay or Cannon rather than dealing with his BS.

MEtoVTSkier

I think that the idea that he has run out many employees in an effort to rehire folks later on to justify the EB-5 funding might logically explain what has otherwise been irrational action.

Hopefully, the powers that be in charge of the program are smart enough not to include "prior existing, but unfilled posistions" and only count newly created jobs.

VTKilarney

Well, I have now heard from multiple people what is going on here. Apparently Q has sent the local high schools retroactive "invoices" for slope time...to the tune of $10,000 each. Before there was any uproar, Mr. Stenger stepped in and reversed that, but Q has said he will bill folks next year. One high school, my alma mater, is considering alternative venues...including the Lyndon Outing Club (and adding snowmaking to it).

There you have it. Complete assholes.

I hope that folks can give Q some more constructive feedback so that he changes his mind and stops burning bridges.
Ugh. Just when I was getting used to the benefits of being positive. Hopefully this will sort itself out soon.

WWF-VT

Last night on WBZ Boston radio there was a Burke add. When they use the new name Q-Burke it just sounds so stupid. Who would have an ego big enough to think they are justified in putting their initial in front of a mountains name? I will never get over this. I just don't understand. :sadwalk:

I've got no skin in ths game, but think it's just stupid to call the place Q Burke. Burke barely had any name recognition in the Boston area and to change the name has to be one of the dumber things any owners could do.

ablb

Very clever campaign.....

#cannonismine

http://www.cannonmt.com/vids.html

Clever because it reminds folks that Cannon is NH's mountain.

I think there is a great opportunity for both Cannon and the Outing Club. 20+ years I've skied at Burke and I've been to Cannon twice this year and for first time went to Outing Club. Its a great alternative for families. Cannon great mountain esp with Mittersal. The vibe reminds me of Burke in the 90s. Very friendly

River19

To an extent maybe, however, you can downsize and swim upstream without standing under the bridge to every community asset/tie linked to the mountain with a giant eff-u blowtorch. Seriously, it doesn't have to be this hard.....

Companies time reductions in force strategically with earnings reports etc. every year......and explain it very easily, I don't buy that pissing on the community partners is in any way tied to window dressing for EB-5......heck as an investor, Chinese or otherwise I would want to know the community is 110% behind the mountain and new management.

ablb

Ugh. Just when I was getting used to the benefits of being positive. Hopefully this will sort itself out soon.

I too, heard this about retro invoicing. My takeaway is that it is indicative of a disconcerting pattern (the KTA debacle).

Last edited:

MEtoVTSkier

attachment.php

Attachments

• ts.jpg
    ts.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 259

deadheadskier

Staff member
Help eliminate the Q. Not the person (yet), just the Q in the name. Send an email expressing your feelings. I have.

Edd

"From the Donald Trump school of marketing..."

That was a recent quote in Ski Magazine on the name change.

River19

"From the Donald Trump school of marketing..."

That was a recent quote in Ski Magazine on the name change.

So I guess we should get ready for the grand opening of the Q Tower Hotel......