• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

oldtimer

Agreed- it is simple:: If Q-jr is in the building the employee morale will suck and we the stake holders will be sure we are about to get it again. This seems like same old/same old to me.

+ 1 big time. They need to reestablish credibility. In this case, they need to state unequivocally that Ary has moved on. Sure, save some face, but assure your stakeholders that he has moved on. They don't have to bring out Ary's head on a plate, but be clear as to what is going on. My feeling is that Dad and Jr. are fighting to keep Jr. there out of pride while Bill and company are pointing to the business reasons as to why him continuing on is just dumb.

VTKilarney

You have to wonder what skier visits were like this year. Something tells me that they weren't as high as Stenger thought they should be.

My (uneducated) guess is that this will be a two step process. A "partnership" followed by a new job opportunity for Ary in a couple of months time.

oldtimer

I love your optimism.

You have to wonder what skier visits were like this year. Something tells me that they weren't as high as Stenger thought they should be.

My (uneducated) guess is that this will be a two step process. A "partnership" followed by a new job opportunity for Ary in a couple of months time.

faQ

Well, those too. I just saw their photos of Facebook of their "work" on the Tamarack to make it a "sports bar theme" and was scratching my head asking, "why?"

I'm also disappointed that the attached advertisement does not say "from the greater Q-Burke Community". But that camp is pretty small.

Getting people in the area to go to the Tamarack is going to be hard at this point. I know I don't go there anymore for dinner because there is a bad vibe and it is a way of me voting with my wallet. I live here and love skiing here so I am not going to drive an hour to go to Jay or Cannon but there are plenty of good options for dinner (Pub, Tiki/Food Truck/ Sweet Basil). Even the Mid Burke pizza night isn't the same and a lot of people have stopped going to that also. I am confident that many others feel this way.

As far as the whole Stengers-in-town/ more-hands-on, thing...hopefully some good ol' quality time with Jr. will shed some light on daily operations/interactions.

Last edited:

River19

Getting people in the area to go to the Tamarack is going to be hard at this point. I know I don't go there anymore for dinner because there is a bad vibe and it is a way of me voting with my wallet. I live here and love skiing here so I am not going to drive an hour to go to Jay or Cannon but there are plenty of good options for dinner (Pub, Tiki/Food Truck/ Sweet Basil). Even the Mid Burke pizza night isn't the same and a lot of people have stopped going to that also. I am confident that many others feel this way.

As far as the whole Stengers-in-town/ more-hands-on, thing...hopefully some good ol' quality time with Jr. with shed some light on daily operations/interactions.

we used to go to the Rack a couple times per month at least, haven't been there since Jr. started really mucking things up. Add to that the last few years the food was "meh" and very overpriced for the quality and execution. So we always stuck with the burgers if we had to eat there.

With what Mike's got going on downtown during the summer and the Publick house, it is a hard draw to pull people up the mountain. if they aren't in the bike park, they are eating and drinking "downtown". If another viable option opens/re-opens in E. Burke, it will be even harder.

Masskier

we used to go to the Rack a couple times per month at least, haven't been there since Jr. started really mucking things up. Add to that the last few years the food was "meh" and very overpriced for the quality and execution. So we always stuck with the burgers if we had to eat there.

With what Mike's got going on downtown during the summer and the Publick house, it is a hard draw to pull people up the mountain. if they aren't in the bike park, they are eating and drinking "downtown". If another viable option opens/re-opens in E. Burke, it will be even harder.

There is a new restaurant schedule to open in July in East Burke

LONGBOARDR

In all fairness, don't blame Q JR for meh foods. That is also the case at Jay IMO. When the tower bar first opened we used head there for jay burgers all the time and they were decent. Now even properly cooked burgers are crap, grizzly compressed pucks. a notch below SYSCO grade. JVI and Jay Tavern serve meats from Tonys (Braults slaughterhouse Troy,VT) good on them for locally sourced great quality meats. With exception of the pizza place which is consistent in quality Jay food is not a bargain nor a pleasurable dining experience.

River19

No, right next to the Tiki Bar and the Public House.

On another note, I went to the Anc Bio ground breaking today. Had a chance to speak to some of the key people from Jay. They're pretty psych to be more involved at Burke.

Psyched? Well they certainly have plenty of upside as most of the downside has already been captured.......

Any official word on Jr moving on?

faQ

I still see him around and have heard he has had at least one temper tantrum. Bill held him to his bosom, smoothed his hair and said "shhhhhhh, there, there".

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Big Wave Dave

as usual in light of the Cal Record I come here for scuttlebutt. to add what information I know, season rentals for burke next winter are a hto commodity. Does anyone think that a dynamic exists at burke (or did last winter anyway... lets hope not permanent) where locals stay away but they are starting to draw more from the more populated areas to the south? I really think so.

Boardguy

as usual in light of the Cal Record I come here for scuttlebutt. to add what information I know, season rentals for burke next winter are a hto commodity. Does anyone think that a dynamic exists at burke (or did last winter anyway... lets hope not permanent) where locals stay away but they are starting to draw more from the more populated areas to the south? I really think so.

I would agree as I have also heard that the winter seasonal rental market is very good and units are already spoken for. Locals have little reason to rent at the moutain so it follows that the demand is coming from farther afield.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the point is that winter seasonal renters from afar don't fill restaurant seats in the off season. Ever been to Killington during summer? No town / locals, place is dead. Ludlow and Okemo down the road is MUCH busier during the off season.

Burke needs as much local support as possible to be viable year round. If they only kick ass during winter months, they will always have to import staff to operate.

Boardguy

Burke needs as much local support as possible to be viable year round. If they only kick ass during winter months, they will always have to import staff to operate.

I don't think anyone would argue that. With the doom and gloom tone of this thread though it is nice to hear that seasonal winter rentals are strong. Have to start somewhere. Granted the supply of rentals available are limited but hey I'll take it. Lots of moutain bikers in E. Burke today.

Not too much going on in Loon during the off season there either.

Last edited: