• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Child's First Time

JimG.

Staff member
I started all 3 of my boys at 3 and they all took to skiing immediately.

Maybe this was easier for me since I am an instructor, but I doubt it matters. It does not take much skill to tool around on skis on flat ground or throw snowballs. Remember, it's gotta be fun or you will lose them quickly. Keep your expectations totally out of it...it's not about you. If on the first day your 3 year old spends an hour on snow getting used to the cold, throwing snowballs at you, and playing with his equipment you should consider that a resounding success. Reward your child for that.

And this is most important....whether you put them in a program or teach them yourself, remember that they want to ski with you more than anything else. So spend alot of time with them...too many parents put their kids in a program and then go home when it is done. You will lose them that way. I always asked parents to ski with their kids after lessons with me to consolidate learning but also to forge that family bond that is so important.

For both you and your child.

steamboat1

Started my daughter at 3 & she became an excellent skier. To bad when she went away to college she stopped skiing & even though she graduated hasn't picked it back up.

legalskier

Lots of good advice above. Just a few additional thoughts:
-Fun is the priority. You want them to develop a love of the sport, so connect it to fun. Which is to say, don't force them to do what you want, let them explore. Let them stop & rest when they want. This way they'll want to go back for more.
-Patience. I know, it's hard- but it will pay off later. Bribery works wonders too.
-Mild temps. Kids don't like freezing any better than we do.
-Take pics/vids. They'll thank you some day. Who knows, maybe they'll post them on AZ decades hence.
-Stay away from leashing them- I think it makes them too dependent. I would ski next to my kids with my ski pole extended like an outrigger for them to hold & maintain balance. They could let go whenever they wanted, or grab on for help.
-Keep some ibuprofen in your pocket- your back will appreciate it.

Cheese

I started my daughter at age 2. By age 12 she could ski any eastern trail. Honestly, I could have started her at age 8 and she probably would have accomplished the same goal by age 12. So the choice is yours as to when you start.

Check the gift shop before you start skiing. If they have the pins with trail names on them, they make great incentives for children to improve and try new terrain. My daughter earned all hers before age 12 which was key because at age 13 she was too cool to display such goofy things.

ScottySkis

When I started with my dad I was six and he over push me and I didn't like skiing back then because of the over pushing, but when we go to Vermont instead getting to Hunter at 1 pm on a Sunday I really enjoyed the skiing.

Downhill Threads

Website
www.downhillthreads.com
great thread. I have 2 girls (2 and 4) and keep debating on when to introduce them. They love the snow, but I don't want to scare them off too early if they hate it. I like the suggestions on bringing them to the mountain to just introduce them to the setting, and have some fun without overloading them with too much, too soon. Also just messing around on little hills nearby. Now to find some cheap gear...

HowieT2

great thread. I have 2 girls (2 and 4) and keep debating on when to introduce them. They love the snow, but I don't want to scare them off too early if they hate it. I like the suggestions on bringing them to the mountain to just introduce them to the setting, and have some fun without overloading them with too much, too soon. Also just messing around on little hills nearby. Now to find some cheap gear...

IMHO for best results you want to get the kids started no later than them being 6-7.

crank

Get him some cheapo gear and goof off in your equipment on the living room rug (not the hardwood!!!), just so he has had the clothes and gear on before being out in the snow.

Then move on to the yard or a local park when some snow falls. Tromp around, make snow men or snow angels and have fun. Get other kids involved if possible.

When you make it to your local ski area (as said, on a nice day!), make sure to keep the big picture in mind. Show him the lodge, the lifts, people having fun, people falling and getting back up, hot chocolate, all the stuff that is epic to a three year old. Minimize the concrete "lesson" on "how to ski". It will come later. You are really just imprinting the experience on their subconscious at this point.

This was exactly my approach and it worked great. I got my son some small and chap gear at 2 and had him first wear it in the living room and then out in the yard in the snow. No need to hit ski areas if you have snow on the ground and a gentle slope. Just learning how to move , balance, walk with skis on is a big part, really the first step in learning how to ski, so why not let them get some practice an experience in before hitting the slopes. Took him to ski areas at 3 and enrolled him in their programs and he learned right quick.

I mostly kept skiing with me fun and we got a lot of miles in with only the occasional bit of parental instruction.

I would add: keep 'em warm, dry and have some gummy bears in your pocket to give a sugar rush to get 'em down that last run...they can bonk and melt down without much warning on the slopes.

MadMadWorld

I started all 3 of my boys at 3 and they all took to skiing immediately.

Maybe this was easier for me since I am an instructor, but I doubt it matters. It does not take much skill to tool around on skis on flat ground or throw snowballs. Remember, it's gotta be fun or you will lose them quickly. Keep your expectations totally out of it...it's not about you. If on the first day your 3 year old spends an hour on snow getting used to the cold, throwing snowballs at you, and playing with his equipment you should consider that a resounding success. Reward your child for that.

And this is most important....whether you put them in a program or teach them yourself, remember that they want to ski with you more than anything else. So spend alot of time with them...too many parents put their kids in a program and then go home when it is done. You will lose them that way. I always asked parents to ski with their kids after lessons with me to consolidate learning but also to forge that family bond that is so important.

For both you and your child.

100% true. If the child leaves with a smile it's a success. I can't even count how many private lessons I had with 3 years old that ended with making snow angels and tag!

MadMadWorld

I started my daughter at age 2. By age 12 she could ski any eastern trail. Honestly, I could have started her at age 8 and she probably would have accomplished the same goal by age 12. So the choice is yours as to when you start.

Check the gift shop before you start skiing. If they have the pins with trail names on them, they make great incentives for children to improve and try new terrain. My daughter earned all hers before age 12 which was key because at age 13 she was too cool to display such goofy things.

Pins and stickers pretty much work for kids of any age. Mine loves to "tattoo his helmet" with stickers.

SkiDork

we started both ours at 2 (Friendly Penguin at K) but I'll tell you this much: 3 is the absolute optimum year for using the leash once they get able to slide down a bit. I had a blast with that.

Cheese

If you want to create a young skier on the cheap, consider ice skating. In my experience while teaching young skiers, skaters picked it up REALLY quick.

rev bubba

As a former children's instructor with over 20 years experience, I say wait another year.

But, as a parent of two successful skiers, racers and eventually instructors too, I say go for it. Both my boys started at 3. They took private lessons week days at a local area where my wife could take them during the day. Both were very independent at age 3 and could go off with an instructor and not care about where their mother was. The ability to be independent is more important than anything.

Just don't expect very much at age 3 or even 4. If they have fun, you have accomplished what needs to be accomplished. Most kids that age are not going to last more than an hour outside and may tire after a half hour.

Good luck. My 28 year old is trying to put together a week at Mad River with me this year. Unfortunately, my 31 year old doesn't have the free time to do this and take care of a job, girlfriend, house, etc. so we just ski together on weekends a few times a season but after he stopped racing at 16 is became, in effect, the techical director at the small area he first skied so it came full circle and all started at age 3 and involved years of fun and travel together.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

If you want to create a young skier on the cheap, consider ice skating. In my experience while teaching young skiers, skaters picked it up REALLY quick.

For sure. Kids that know how to skate are usually lift ready within 30 min of putting on skis and a little direction.

bdfreetuna

Skiied at age of 2 at King Pine and Black Mountain... I think my Dad held onto me at that age. Age of 3 I skiied off the rope and could ski the whole mountain (well not expert terrain but normal black diamonds).

Start 'em as young as you want if you don't mind skiing with them on a rope or whatever they use now and try to teach them yourself. If you want to put them in a class probably wait 'till 3 or 4.

It depends on the kid's attention span at the age of 2-3 as well though.

shpride

I have a 20 month old that has plasic skis that she loves walking around the house in. I hope to carry her around this winter in our backyard if mother nature is good to us. If this pays off when she hits a ski area, probably next year, I do not know. All I know is she is enjoying walking around in them now which is a lot of fun to watch.

2knees

Started both of mine at 3. One thing to remember is that, at least here in southern n.e., the local areas charge for little kids where as the bigger resorts usually are free for 6 and under. Makes a big difference the first few times. Okemo lets people use the magic carpet for free regardless of age, or at least they did when i took my kids there. Anyway, the hoola hoop suggestion was spot on. I bought one immediately after taking my first kid out.